John Spong said what!?!

robtex

Registered Senior Member
John Spong is a retired Espiscopalian bishop. He is a self-proclaimed Christian who believes the relgion needs an overhaul on things such as the resurrection of Christ, homosexual marriage and defintion of divintiy.

Here is a link to his hompage

http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/jsspong/index.html

and a qoute from this thread

http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/jsspong/reform.html

Martin Luther ignited the Reformation of the 16th century by nailing to the door of the church in Wittenberg in 1517 the 95 Theses that he wished to debate. I will publish this challenge to Christianity in The Voice. I will post my theses on the Internet and send copies with invitations to debate them to the recognized Christian leaders of the world. My theses are far smaller in number than were those of Martin Luther, but they are far more threatening theologically. The issues to which I now call the Christians of the world to debate are these:

1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.
2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.
3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.
4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.
5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.
6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.
7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.
8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.
9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard writ in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.
10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.
11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.
12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

So I set these theses today before the Christian world and I stand ready to debate each of them as we prepare to enter the third millennium.

I read a qoute in a UU lecture by John Bohman in which he qoutes from J Spong's book "why Christianty must change or die"

the qoute says

"I would choose to loathe rather than worship a diety who required the sacrifce of his son." We are not born in sin. We do not need to have the stain in our orginal sin wahed away in baptism. We are not fallen creatures who will lose salvation if we are not baptized."

(contents taken from http://www.uucava.org/sermons/Big_Answer_Christianity_121502.htm)

I work with about 40-60 christians between two jobs. I would say that overall --well over 85 % plus are very moral and virtueous people with a sense of magnamity when it comes to community. But all of them, without exception get tripped-up between the coils of bibical dogma and societal morality that is independant of Christianty.

Could Spong be onto something and if the paradign were to shift for Christanity or portions of it in the direction of Spong's list would Christians be able to live more spirtual moral lives WHILE being congurent with their Christian beliefs?

I've read about Spong before, and I think he's not a Christian by any definition. In fact, it seems like he's pretty much an atheist who's either too confused to recognize it or does not want to admit it.

By the way, it's "quote."

TheERK said:
I've read about Spong before, and I think he's not a Christian by any definition. In fact, it seems like he's pretty much an atheist who's either too confused to recognize it or does not want to admit it.

By the way, it's "quote."

I think Spong is wasting his time somewhat. If you take from Christianity what, to Christians, is its uniqueness, what do you have left? Christians aren't going to care about his arguments because, to them, they're lowering the importance of Christianity. Once he has "demythologized" Christianity, who's going to care about following it?

Erk the typo police......just kidding....but seriously, he is gnostic....as in he believes in God. The choice is not Christanity or athiesm. It is closer to basins 31 flavors than it is to chocolate or vanilla ice cream. I would say though that I don't see him as a Christian in a traditional sense either but than many religions like hinduism and Judism have changed much over time why is it hard for Christantity to go in a new direction?

anonymous2 wow that is good arguement. But i think what spong is saying is that the focus should be on the spirtuality and princples as opposed to the dogma of the church or bible. It is not a religious new concept. It could be a good concept for Christanity.

As far as your last statement anonymous2...."once he has demythologigized Christanity who's going to care to follow it?"

A lot of Christians I have met here, on the net elsewhere and in person have listed morality as a focal point for thier acdeptance of that religion into their lives. Just looking at the demographics..that Christanity is centerd in the Americas and Europe (just as Islam is centered in the middle east {both share africa}) suggests that many people see religion not by dogma but by morality.

One of the big arugments athiests have made time and time again, of many Christians is that they do not have much knowledge about the history of their religion or princples of it. A lot of them further argue that it is because they are stupid or are sheep but i would have contension with that saying that they are not stupid but following it for reasons other than what some athiests feel are admirable. The big one in my theory is it is a beacon for organized morality for them.

Just as any religion is for anyone else. The problem rises though when they do discover dogma or re acclemate it into their lives and find it intolerable with other belief systems, including athiesm, which are just as or more moral than their's dependin g on the prespective.

Having said that and after reading Spong I think what he is trying to say is that the dogma is not what makes a Christian a Christian but the morality accepted by the people who practice it.

Reformed Judism, if you were not aware is an organized religion for the exact same reason. Not because the bible (not old test they don't see old new just one) is historically correct but because through a partnership with God, they have chosen the path of morality.

robtex said:
Erk the typo police......just kidding....

Unless you accidentaly spelled it wrong four times, the exact same way, it wasn't a typo. I'm not trying to be the police here, because I don't think you did anything wrong; I'm just letting you know for future reference.

but seriously, he is gnostic....as in he believes in God. The choice is not Christanity or athiesm. It is closer to basins 31 flavors than it is to chocolate or vanilla ice cream. I would say though that I don't see him as a Christian in a traditional sense either but than many religions like hinduism and Judism have changed much over time why is it hard for Christantity to go in a new direction?

I quote Spong: "The theistic idea of God is not only in this day and age unbelievable, it is immoral."

This is essentially the sentiment of an atheist. To throw out all theistic concepts of God is to either not believe in God, or arbitrarily redefine God. The latter can only serve to confuse people who have a traditional understanding of God. For example, to say that the Universe is God is ridiculous, because that's not what God means at all; besides, we already have a word for the Universe, so this re-definition serves absolutely no purpose except to confuse others.

I never said the choice was Christianity or atheism. However, Spong's quote is critical of all theistic ideas of God, and that is what atheism is. If he had simply said "The Bible isn't true", then yes, for me to assume he was an atheist would be wrong. However, he instead said what I already quoted.

"I quote Spong: "The theistic idea of God is not only in this day and age unbelievable, it is immoral."

Erk I cannot find that qoute anywhere...you got a source. As far as the rest of the website he presents himself as a theist ...except he doesn't follow the big guy with a gray beard theory.

but back to the orginal question.....if the christian religon did some or all of the things mentioned under the reform section

http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/jsspong/reform.html

how much of it could they change and it still be Christanity. The reason I ask is that

reform Jews have intrepreted the Torah allegorically, the Hindus are very metaphoric in their intreprations at times, pagansim has changes greatly over time and all still stand today.

I guess I am asking is what makes a Christian a Christian? What can be changed or loosely intrepreted without loosing that religion? The Spong list seemed pretty indept of major tenants so it seemed good to qoute it as a source.

Hi,

Google is your friend. Paste that entire quote in Google and you'll get two links. Here is one of them:

http://tim.2wgroup.com/blog/archives/000293.html

Some people will debate over what qualifies one to be a Christian, but believing in God is almost definitely a requirement. I content that Spong is essentially an atheist, and therefore not really a Christian.

Sorry for the delay I was reading about him inbetween other stuff so I wouldn't take anyting out of context. I read your link thank you..and came up with an alterante conclusion. He is a deist as opposed to a theist. I say that because he talks about higher powers and says things that are deistic in nature (2nd link original post)

points,

1,2,3,45,7,10 and 11.

but really I missed this thread up cause I was using him as a segway into how much change could Christanity could endure and still keeps its religious enity. And if so which things?

Jesus as a savior?
orignal sin?
Prayer for theistic consideration?
ect ect.

Back