Jilted bride wins $150,000 from ex-fiancé

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
http://www.wach.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=164391

"A Hall County woman who sued her ex-fiancé for calling off their wedding was awarded $150,000 by a jury Wednesday.

RoseMary Shell said she moved from Florida to join her fiancé Wayne Gibbs and that she left a high-paying job behind to move in with him in Hall County.

Shell says she's suffered emotionally and financially since the wedding was called of in 2007.

Gibbs said he paid off $30,000 of Shell's debt during their engagement and took her on trips. When he found out Shell had even more debt, he canceled the wedding by leaving her a note in their bathroom."

I have a few problems with this verdict:

1. Until you say "I do" you have the right to change your mind.
2. He paid off of her debts, for fuck's sake. 30K!!
3. She withheld financial information from him, that was relevant about their future. It is usually called fraud....

So I would make her pay for courtcost and make her payback that 30K....

Male privilege states that the woman is always the victim, and always is entitled to a good % of whatever money the man has.

... I have a few problems with this verdict:

1. Until you say "I do" you have the right to change your mind.
2. He paid off of her debts, for fuck's sake. 30K!!
3. She withheld financial information from him, that was relevant about their future. It is usually called fraud....

So I would make her pay for court cost and make her payback that 30K....

yep, I agree. I would have just moved on. I hope he appeals. I also hope everyone knows about this and she never gets another date and dies a lonely bitter woman.

i dont know but couldnt it be slightly more complicated than simply being paid because the weding was called off. What i mean was if they were living as defacto's then the normal division of assests rules aplie

Assuming this can be taken at its face value, wow. I can't wait for the fanatics to come out of the woodwork to defend this decision. (read tiassa) I imagine the primary rebuttal(s) will be along the lines of "this never happened", "if this happened, there were mitigating circumstances" or "if there weren't mitigaring circumstances, this whole topic is statistically insignificant in any event". Great,

Why can't women and men just be equal? Different doesn't imply inequality. WTF is it with this particular issue?

Oh, and GEAD, T.....

randwolf as i said it may well be they are defacto. My partner is the one who works at the moment, she isnt entiltled to throw me out on the street any more than a married couple are. Thats what defacto IS and most people (at least in australia) are defacto before they get married

randwolf as i said it may well be they are defacto. My partner is the one who works at the moment, she isnt entiltled to throw me out on the street any more than a married couple are. Thats what defacto IS and most people (at least in australia) are defacto before they get married

OK. So? And Asquard, our viewpoints often seem to align on this topic. De facto works for me. But it's not your views that are going to take this thread off the charts. It is other, somewhat more "liberal" posters that I expect to go ballistic here...

To borrow from EmptyForceOfChi...
/peace

You should be able to do anything you feel like doing. This really doesnt interfere with any of her rights, I mean he even payed her $30,000! I completely disagree with this verdict, the woman is entitled to nothing.

She has a vagina, thus she is entitled to a whole bunch of bullshit, at least that's what feminism teaches her.

She lied to or deceived him. The marriage, had it happened, would have ended in divorce court anyway.

Maybe there is some factors I don't know, but courts seem to unfairly favor women, especially divorce courts. The lawyers and these kinds of women really do seem to view men as nothing more than wallets to be plundered in court. I would hate to get caught up in that kind of mess.

Back