Jackass sued by, well ... it takes one to know one?

What sympathy have you for Caravello?

• None. Dude put his balls in a mousetrap!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Some. I understand desperation, but even I have limits.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Much. Such exploitation exemplifies what's wrong with our society.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm with Kimmel and Knoxville. Not their fault the dude said yes.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I'm with Kimmel and Knoxville, who exemplify American entreprenueurial innovation.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Ain't touchin' it with a ten-foot optical mouse!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Let's try to keep this one simple:

An actor is suing “Jackass” star Johnny Knoxville, TV talk show host Jimmy Kimmel and radio personality Adam Carolla, claiming he was never paid $10 million for doing a below-the-belt stunt that left him severely injured.

Perry Caravello claims Kimmel never paid him for his work in the 2003 TV movie “Windy City Heat.” According to the suit, Knoxville also promised to pay him to promote the DVD release of the film on Carolla’s show last fall if he agreed to place his genitals in a mousetrap.

“Plaintiff agreed to do so, and, much to his emotional tranquility and to his physical harm, was severely injured when the trap literally went on his manhood,” the suit contended.
(AP/MSNBC.com)​

Alright. Let's get this straight. You work on a film, and don't get paid. Then you agree to promote the film for pay, but only if you put your balls in a mousetrap first. So you put your balls in the mousetrap, get injured, and never get paid for the promotional work that you ... well, did you actually do the promo work?

Okay. Do we have it all correctly?

Now:

(1) After not getting paid for work done three years prior, why would anyone trust these guys about the promotional work?

(2) Recognizing this, why would anyone put their balls in a mousetrap for these untrustworthy fellows?

(3) Who would actually be surprised when the mousetrap snapped shut? I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt. Far from it. But, given that such reputations as Kimmel and Knoxville are involved, who could possibly claim to be surprised when the trap actually snaps shut?

(4) What are we to think, if the story is true, of people who value human dignity--both their own and that of others--so ... well, wretchedly? ("We didn't pay you for your previous labor, but we'll pay you for some more if you put your balls in a mousetrap first!") The offer is exploitative; admittedly, many aspiring actors are far too anxious and will follow obviously-marked dangerous paths in order to reach the summit of fame and influence, but using that to compel someone to put their balls in a mousetrap?

(5) Is there any testimony in this story regarding the character of the market that supports, and even demands, such indignity?​

I mean, that you can get the special-ed crew (e.g. the retarded kids) to do insane stuff for savage amusement doesn't make it right. Exploiting those desperate to the detriment of their own health is no more justifiable. Just because whores know the business is dangerous doesn't make it right to abuse them.

Thus:

(A) A guy willingly put his balls into a mousetrap at the encouragement of people who had already screwed him over. How stupid is this?

(B) Apparent con-artists willing to ask a man to degrade himself by putting his balls in a mousetrap are pop-culture icons with a strong and devoted market.​

Even at the purely "business" level, Kimmel and Knoxville are in a bad position. This balltrap stunt won't help their position at all. Except, of course, that it will.

This has EM&J stamped all over it. I don't really know where to begin answering my own questions.

Have fun. (And, uh, don't go sticking your balls into anything. Really. Just think about the pain of a tight squeeze. It will only get worse from there.)

Farging mousetrap ....

Notes:

Associated Press. "'Jackass' star sued over manhood in mousetrap". MSNBC.com. June 3, 2007. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19016857/

Last edited:
Knoxville should be awarded money for being so enterprising. a) Why would you stick your balls in anything at the behest of the star of Jackass? What do you expect? The promotion of your "emotional tranquility" and physical health?

I wouldn't be surprised if Caravello performed the act intending to later sue. That really is the only explanation my mind finds comforting.

Yikes, ye gads, and no cased meats today, thanks

§outh§tar said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Caravello performed the act intending to later sue. That really is the only explanation my mind finds comforting.

I find myself agreeing with you on the comfort aspect, sort of. It hadn't yet occurred to me. But at the same time the question arises what that says of either our comfort or the society in which we seek it. After all, the comforting explanation is the one based on "mundane" corruption.

Next up? The old-fashioned, hand-cranked meat grinder?

It's customary to get a contract before working on a film, so where is this guy's contract? 'He said/She said' BS doesn't wash, we need signatures on contracts.

I guess someone stupid enough to do the mousetrap probably just signs with an 'X' and can't even read the large print.

I actually think that's kind of funny. How could anyone be so stupid? Also, pretty mean-spirited. I steal off of people who I particularly don't like, but it never even crossed my mind to try and get someone to do that. Who would?

There is a contract, apparently. What it says, nobody yet knows. As to who would try to get someone to do that ...? Well, we know who. Kimmel, Corrola, Knoxville. I've heard all three called comic geniuses before. Such standards of genius are questionable at least. If you let them get to you, such standards of genius become frightening in the context of the human endeavor.

Back