Islam and Tattoos

Prince_James

Plutarch (Mickey's Dog)
Registered Senior Member
What is the position of Islam in regards to tattoos? Is it forbidden? Suggested against? Permitted?

PJ,
no direct guide. This requires interpretation upon several aspects of Islamic teachings, for e.g.

In term of behavioural value:
- Islam forbids acts defined as 'mubazzir' (do things exaggeratedly, do unnecessary things, waste sources for nothing beneficial). When one regards tatto as wasting time and energy, one would interpret tatto as forbidden. When one finds it is useful, one has argumentation to say that's just alright.

In term of syaria (practising Islam)
- There is a ritual of 'wudhu' (cleaning parts of body with water as prerequisites to do prayer shalat) and 'total cleaning' (wash the whole part of body after doing intercourse, or even only after producing sperm / women liquid without making sex). The requirement is : water should pass over the whole part of body/skin. Assuming tattoo is covering your skin (forbid water to pass over), then it is not permitted.

In term of syaria (practising Islam)
- There is a ritual of 'wudhu' (cleaning parts of body with water as prerequisites to do prayer shalat) and 'total cleaning' (wash the whole part of body after doing intercourse, or even only after producing sperm / women liquid without making sex). The requirement is : water should pass over the whole part of body/skin. Assuming tattoo is covering your skin (forbid water to pass over), then it is not permitted.

A tattoo is not a layer above the skin - it does not protect the skin.
A tattoo is not the skin painted, it is the skin dyed.

What is the position of Islam in regards to tattoos? Is it forbidden? Suggested against? Permitted?

Muslims use henna instead of tattoo

knot250.jpg

encycgeoxx.jpg

Muslims use henna instead of tattoo
I know some Muslims with tattoos.
Are you saying that tattoos are forbidden in Islam?

If so, can you quote the Quran?
I'm curious.

It would seem like Henna is forbidden based on what LineInFaith said about 'wudhu'.
Do you have a perspective on that?

I know some Muslims with tattoos.
Are you saying that tattoos are forbidden in Islam?

If so, can you quote the Quran?
I'm curious.

It would seem like Henna is forbidden based on what LineInFaith said about 'wudhu'.
Do you have a perspective on that?

I don't think tattoos are forbidden and henna is believed to be sunnah, in that the Prophet also used it.

That said, there is also the convenience of a temporary tattoo over a permanent one.:)

Didn't the (Islamic) Ottomans used to tattoo the faces of their Armenian/Balkan/Circassian slaves?

Also I think Berber women who are muslims tattoo their faces too, although maybe they just use henna these days.

A quick google search says that tattoos are forbidden by Islam though....seriously that took me like 2 seconds to type in.

Last edited:
As far as I know tattoos are not allowed, something to do with defacing the body. The physical body is temporary and its disrespectful to tattoo it, something like that.

Regarding henna, I think only women would use that for patterns and what not, men can only use it to dye the beard and hair.

When no direct clear guide regarding an issue, which some regard it as allowed and some regard it as forbidden, tattoo is categorised into "syubhat' (doubts).

For those who have strong knowledge regarding the background of which he can interpret tatto as 'permitted', it's alright for them.
As for those who said it is 'forbidden', then they would have their own background to say that.

Until one finds their own knowledge to put something into which side (allowed or forbidden), it is strongly recommended to avoid. Without proper knowledge, doubt things could be easily slipped into 'forbidden' area.

Thanks for the answers. I was curious after seeing some Iraqi young man getting a tattoo of his betrothed's name on his chest on the television.

as i have read from a scholar on Islam, Islam does not forbidden tattoos, however; it is disliked. very much disliked that it is almost forbidden.
since it is under the skin, it does not interfere with the ritual bath.

As far as I know tattoos are not allowed, something to do with defacing the body. The physical body is temporary and its disrespectful to tattoo it, something like that.

Regarding henna, I think only women would use that for patterns and what not, men can only use it to dye the beard and hair.

That is the reason why self-flagellation is forbidden, however you still see Shiites doing it for Ashura.:shrug:

Back