Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Some are wrong

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • All are wrong

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

coolsoldier

Registered Senior Member
If you believe something is wrong (regardless of what your beliefs are), is it wrong to think about it?

For example,
If killing person x is wrong (just assume that person x is, within your own moral code, someone whom it is wrong to kill), how many of the following do you think would also be wrong?

-Casually thinking "I want to kill person x"
-Making plans (with no intention of carrying them out) to kill person x
-Honestly wishing you could (within the law, your physical abilities, or your morality) kill person x
-Seriously considering killing person x
-Trying and failing to kill person x

The same goes with anything else you believe to be wrong (I only chose killing as my example because it's something most people believe, in some capacity, to be wrong)

What do you think?

Last edited:
I think what is important is that you pointed out, "within your own moral code".
Only you can and should answer this question for yourself.
My moral obligations/restrictions really should have little or nothing to do with how you decide to live your life.
"Living your life my anyone's morals but your own is living an immoral life." Ayn Rand (paraphrased, since I don't have the quote handy. Does anyone have the quote?)

If you are asking me about MY morals...

Question:
Originally posted by coolsoldier
For example,
If killing person x is wrong (just assume that person x is, within your own moral code, someone whom it is wrong to kill), how may of the following would also be wrong?

MY answer:
Just one of them...
Originally posted by coolsoldier
-Trying and failing to kill person x

I was just trying to see what other people thought. Obviously, each person's morals lead them to a different answer, but I'd like to see people's opinions on the matter (and the logic behind them)

Of course, you could decide that the group moral code is one you want to live by, therefore making it your own moral code.

Firstly, how can you be aware it is wrong without thinking of the subject? So you have already thought about it. I think its ok to think about anything, but putting it into practise is another matter. If you personally dont like that thing and find it against your own moral code, you will stop thinkking about it. If you dont, well, think about why you are thinking about it all the time, or perhaps you should do it. But then thats might lead into trouble. HHmm, think ill stop there, my thinking is going round in circles.

would you like this to be a pole so its easier to find the answers?

if so would u like multipual choice or single answer?

I didn't even think about making a poll. Yeah, a poll would be good :)

maybe something like "None are wrong", "One is wrong","Some are wrong", "All are wrong" for the answers (since each person can only select one answer...I think)

I don't see anything wrong with thinking about it, after all it's the actual act which is considered wrong, the sentiment behind it isn't really quite so nasty by comparison. Besides, it's cathartic to imagine someone else’s' grizzly death, helps one keep from actually snapping and performing the act.

I would be careful of how thoughts lead you. Everything begins with a thought, and with our thoughts we make the world.

If you are truely living by your own moral code, it doesn't matter what is "considered" wrong.
I live in a way that nothing I do is wrong. If it were I wouldn't have done it. I can think of things that are wrong so if somehow I got drugged and did those things I would have done wrong by myself. But I think anything I have the urge to do is right, so it would depend who person x is.

For the glory of progress thinking in any sense is not wrong but, human. Actually, any issue I will never consider thinking wrong. However, you gave an example about killing another human. Well it is the act that we must condemn, not the crimminal. We must forgive the crimminal and damn the act. Thinking is natural to humans and shall remain so until the last of our kind fade from this earth.

Anything else just wouldn't be human...

:cool:Aristotle's four characters: Viruous, Contenent, Incontenent, Vicious. If a virtuous person found a wallet laying on the street, they would pick it up and give to the police willingly and happily. A contenent person would find the wallet and give the wallet to the police with objections to his actions, thinking about what if they took the money and the items inside for personal benifit, thus regreting the descision to give the wallet in. An incontenet person will take the wallet for themselves, but with guilt for the person who lost it, and for stealing it. A vicious person sees no reason why stealing the wallet and the items inside is morally wrong, but they also don't care. They take it willingly and happily, a mirror of a virtuous person obviously.

By these definitions of characters, one can say that it is not completely bad to consider killing a person x, it only means you aren't a truely virtuous person. Killing person x without any guilt or objections, then obviously you are vicious, and are deemed an undecent person, no matter what society you are in. :m:

I feel thoughts about harming someone are wrong. This is not to say I'm not guilty of having thoughts like this about some people.. but if I could be an ideal person, I would not wish to kill. If I were being threatened and were in danger of being killed, myself..that would be the only time I could justify that action for myself. I readilly admit I'm a big hipocrite and I will have these thoughts on occasion no matter what. I think we all do.

Is it wrong to think that things are wrong?

A lot of threads are centered upon this single thought: it is wrong to do this or that. This happens under the presumption that things can be wrong and that some people should decide for other people what is wrong and what is right.

But the question is of course if it is wrong to proclaim that things are wrong?

Nope, just so long as you don't expect everyone to see eye to eye with you, otherwise you're in for dissapointment.

I'd think it is even necessary to proclaim it. How can you have any functional society if no general consensus is made about things being right or wrong somewhere?

However, the continious public debate about where to draw a line between right/tolerable/wrong is very precious and something that should be encouraged. We can't have society pinned down on laws centuries old, or can we?

Last edited:
Thinking bad is wrong but necessary

I think in order to DO good you have to reflect on what’s bad. In such a way it shall not be wrong to contemplate bad acts, because they will trigger, in a person with a conscience, a process of argumentative thinking. As a result you will get the message: “it was wrong of me to make plans for killing x” – thus strengthening the good in you.
Now you can say that murder, when carried out by a conscientious person can have the same effect – it could prevent that this person murders more people and feels regret beyond description. That’s why I clearly draw the borderline – theoretizing is o.k., but what counts finally is action.

Re: Is it wrong to think that things are wrong?

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
A lot of threads are centered upon this single thought: it is wrong to do this or that. This happens under the presumption that things can be wrong and that some people should decide for other people what is wrong and what is right.

I look at things in the context of individual rights. Deciding for someone else that certain things that affect only that person are wrong or right and should be prohibited or encouraged is the basis of tyranny. I don't care if someone has some religious belief that requires that he or she kills him or herself at the age of thirty, for example, but I don't believe that and the person in question has no right to force this belief on me by killing me on my thirtieth birthday.

If so, would it be wrong to proclaim that it is wrong to proclaim that things are wrong?

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If so, would it be wrong to proclaim that it is wrong to proclaim that things are wrong?
I was just going to type that, but you beat me to it.

Well to those who are religious we know where our morals have come from and indeed those things which are wrong. However, in the name of debate I shall not use such a point in my main argument.

I feel that the human creature has a natural equilibrium, that every human (mental limitations can be considered but are not the majority) has in him or herself and ingrained sense of what is right and wrong. Certainly our specis have developed so that we instinctively know how things will be considered. If you argue with that point then perhaps you shall not argue with the societal view. We are, indeed programmned from youth as to what things are right and wrong, not to say that this is a bad thing but it is indeed true. So whatever topic you feel that is "wrong" will already have had been influenced by something from your society. In the end I must say that if you entirely believe that something is wrong, some moral out of place then it is indeed not wrong to debate it, for as I see it the whole premise of thought and conscious is human and should be followed as such.

Back