Is There a Correlation Between Consumption of Magnesium and Cancer?

In your opinion, is that correlation likely true?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not enough information is known

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

TruthSeeker

Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey
Valued Senior Member
It is well known that magnesium ion is a chemical element which is used as a co-factor in the function of DNA polymerase.

(DNA polymerase is the (or a?) enzime which produces DNA)

So the question is: is there a correlation between the lack of magnesium consumption and the incidence of cancer? Because if you don't consume enough magnesium, then that means that the enzime's efficiency is impaired, which can cause more mistakes.

Which hypothesis could we make to test that possibility?
What about an experiment? We could take a blood sample and try to isolate DNA polymerase and have two differenet groups (one with magnesium and one without).

Any volunteers.....? :p
*rubbing hands*

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_polymerase

Whew, thank goodness my calcium vitamins have magnesium in em, and not just to help me poop better. :p

- N

Is that it!?!?! Is that ALL THAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO WITH MY HYPOTHESIS!?!!?

Assholes....

Nah! Just teasing ya. ;)

Yaba Daba! :m:

At this point not much is known. In general one cannot assume simple dependencies. Mg is not only needed for polymerases but also for a lot of other metabolic functions, as such, Mg-deficiency usually is associated with other diseases (as e.g. cardiovascular malfunctions) as compared to cancer. In addition, high amounts of Mg does increase polymerase activity which actually might lead to faulty DNA-synthesis.
In fact, the literature is not clear with regards to Mg. There has been studies that imply a reduced cancer risk during Mg-deficiency.

Yes, I had thought of the possibility of the excess of the enzime speeding up DNA replication.

Looks like I'm right about the connection...... :eek:

Why don't we get a random sample of cancer patients and compare their Mg levels with people that don't have cancer? ;)

Back