Is the mind esotoric?

pljames

Registered Member
:confused:I am not sure where to put this? Since I cannot see my mind nor the words therein, is my mind esoteric? I hear the words in my mind and see the words down on this screen. I know my brain is biochemical. pljames/

Your mind is ''esoteric'' to you since is not available for public viewing lol.

:confused:I am not sure where to put this? Since I cannot see my mind nor the words therein, is my mind esoteric? I hear the words in my mind and see the words down on this screen. I know my brain is biochemical. pljames/

If we're going to employ these adjectives in that vein, then: Other people can only have an exoteric [public] "view" of your brain (the skull's internal tissue or neural activity represented on scanners). But what it's like to be some of that brain functioning itself is esoteric (introspective, private, etc). Nobody else perceives your electrochemical patterns as audible-like speech (your current linguistic thoughts), as visual memories of that party last year, as the sensation of a bug crawling on your arm, or the odor of whatever is burning in the oven (if your kitchen was nearby in the medical lab).

Technology has reached the point now where, if you communicated what you were thinking or feeling at a certain time to the applicable researchers, then they could record your brain states and use that configuration as a "signature" to identify when you were thinking / feeling similar again, later on in the future. A kind of quasi-mindreading: "This pattern indicates that Person-X is remembering the ball game Person-X described to us once." But such is still akin to reading a book and it being up to the reader to attach an experience to the meanings of the sentences, the "symbols". The problem of a generic or universally reliable "translation scheme" of neural activity into images, sounds, etc, might also be complicated by similar experiences being instantiated by or correlating to different patterns from person to person (multiple realizability, or a sub-category of such).

There are two sides of the brain. The left brain is more differential and processes cultural language. The right brain is more spatial and integral and uses a different form of language that is 3-D, which requires an extra z-dimension. Esoteric appears when you try to express the right brain 3-D language using left brain 2-D language. The extra dimension is not easy to express with language and typically comes out in an esoteric way.

Below is a 3-D drawing on your computer screen. It is not really 3-D, which can be proven by touching your computer monitor. It may look 3-D but it is really flat or 2-D and lacks that z-axis depth you can touch. This is an illusion of 3-D. To express the real z-axis you need to use the sense of touch so you can feel the depth. In terms of esoteric, the feeling of z-axis depth is not easy to explain with language, anymore than explaining how a kitten feels using language to 100% convey the experience. One touch will tell you more than a 1000 words of esoteric explanation.

Below are 3-D images which are actually only 2-D, if you touch the screen. It may trick the eyes, but if you use the sense of touch you can tell the difference between these and real thing. There are many spatial illusion using language with practice in esoteric helping to develop the skills needed to reach out and touch for verification.

3D-shapes.jpg

Back