Is sugar high and crash a myth?

davekm

Banned
Banned
Here are some things I've found:

I wonder if the 8 minute insulin rise has any lasting effects on the body. Also, is it true that you need to eat refined sugary crap to increase serotonin in the brain?

"In a non diabetic individual, blood sugar is closely regulated by at least 2 hormones with opposing actions. Insulin is released by the pancreas when a glucose load is sensed. This, as you have stated lowers the blood sugar levels. Insulin has a life span of approximately 8 minutes in the blood stream, which is really not very long. Should the blood sugar drop too low, the pancreas releases glucagon. The main action of glucagon is to signal the liver to take some of the 400+ Kcals worth of it's stored glucose and release that into the blood stream. This hormone can act with in seconds of its release. In fact, it is so powerful and quick that some diabetics carry it with them to counteract severely low blood sugar reactions.

So, I would generally that the idea of a rush followed by a crash in a healthy individual is at least an overstatement and more like a myth."

"There's no evidence to support the idea that mid-afternoon tiredness is caused by hypoglycemia, or that healthy people feel normal fluctuations in blood sugar," says Dr. Phillip Cryer of the Washington University School of Medicine."

Back