is religion a catalyst of evil

spuriousmonkey

Banned
Banned
there is a thread out there that asks the question:

is satan the source of evil

but maybe we should change this statement to make things meaningful.

So what if we say:

is religion a catalyst of evil? Or does religion have the intrinsic capability of acting like a catalyst of evil.

Evil would be defined as the 'dark side' of human nature and all the actions that are the result of this. If religion is really a catalyst in this respect we may ask ourselves the question if modern society wouldn't be better of without religion.

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
So what if we say: is religion a catalyst of evil? Or does religion have the intrinsic capability of acting like a catalyst of evil. ... If religion is really a catalyst in this respect we may ask ourselves the question if modern society wouldn't be better of without religion.
In brief:
  1. Sometimes, and sometimes a catalyst for good.
  2. Yes, and sometimes as a catalyst for good.
  3. Probably, but not for the reason implied.
Religion is not the problem. Ignorance is the problem.

Re: Re: is religion a catalyst of evil

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
In brief:
  1. Sometimes, and sometimes a catalyst for good.
  2. Yes, and sometimes as a catalyst for good.

1. 'sometimes religion is a catalyst for good'. I really wouldn't use this reason to promote religion. Fascism also did a few good things. That didn't mean it was inherently bad.

Also non-religious people seem to have no problem in doing good.

Every religion gets distorted. Its a matter of the person's integrity to take it upon thierself to do good and receive pain.

I am atheist and I have experienced so much pain, but I am determined to do good. I am unstoppable.

Re: Re: Re: is religion a catalyst of evil

I really wouldn't use this reason to promote religion.
Nor would I, but what does this have to do with this thread? :confused:
Fascism also did a few good things. That didn't mean it was inherently bad.
Try that one again. ;)
Also non-religious people seem to have no problem in doing good.
Also non-religious people seem to have no problem in doing evil. Again, what does this have to do with this thread?

If your contention is that religion necessarily causes evil and that its eradication will necessarily result in less evil, you should make and defend it. Otherwise, we have nothing other than the awareness that people sometimes use social institututions in bad ways. This is hardly a revelation.

Originally posted by Slacker47
Every religion gets distorted. Its a matter of the person's integrity to take it upon thierself to do good and receive pain.

I am atheist and I have experienced so much pain, but I am determined to do good. I am unstoppable.

Cheers.. & God Loves you for that.. In turn u too will reciprocate..!

Perhaps U would understand the concept of God more than any preacher..if at all u find the source of ur determination to be good.

Re: Re: Re: is religion a catalyst of evil

Fascism also did a few good things. That didn't mean it was inherently bad.

oops...yep i meant : that didn't mean it wasn't inherently bad.

my mistake

Originally posted by Slacker47

Until it is too much trouble to do good, and the natural human nature kicks in, and this feeling wears off, as it is only natural.

A human has not the strength to do all the time, in their own strength.

Contemporary classification: religion is a reason for war!!!!!!!

Wake up!

But...religion created the "evil"...in order to make itself..."pseudo-good" and in some cases "hyper-good".You can't know what's good if you don't know what is evil. :) so its like a fairytale...black and white thing,no shades.

Back