Is Oprah Winfrey a crank?

kwhilborn

Banned
Banned
Hello...

If you are a "crank", I'd like to say you are in good company.

Oprah Winfrey tells a story claiming that a movie role manifested itself based on her obsession with the story, and that she made no overt moves to draw it into her life. She credits this seemingly magical event to something called, "The law of attraction".

She does not say it was a random occurrence or people whispered through the grapevine, she claims it happened as if it were magic. Real hocus Pocus type magic.

Listen to her story and then you will realize that some "cranks" can be highly successful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0wYxh-akZs

Hmmm!

"It is very true. That the way you think creates reality for yourself." O.W.

She credits this seemingly magical event to something called, "The law of attraction".

She does not say it was a random occurrence or people whispered through the grapevine, she claims it happened as if it were magic. Real hocus Pocus type magic.
If that's what she's claiming then she is a crank.

I consider it totally possible that if Oprah Winfrey had an obsession with a story, that she would have found herself compelled to talk about it at great length with those in show business around her. And that this same show business people, ever vigilant to the whims of the richest woman in show business, should magically produce a movie role based n Oprah's obsession.

I further consider it totally possible that Oprah would, in her Oprahistic way, claim it was real magic and make up a name for it.

I would further state that kwhilborn seems to be Oprah's ideal target audience.

I think she probably thought that was magical the same way someone would think it was magical when they finally got a souflet to rise. Some things just feel magical when they work.

There is some non-supernatural truth to this like AlexG mentioned. There are nearly infinite things buzzing around outside and what we open ourselves to determine a lot.

When traveling out and about it is easy to notice this. The people you talk to, the conversations you have all are founded on your desires.

I remember once I wanted to be in a documentary and within a month I had two opportunities for the first time in my life. It was obviously because I was 'putting myself out there' I was eagerly listening to any relevant information and following it up.

Of course it's a coincidence, but It's happened to me as well. I spent years trying to get into the computer games industry. I was in a chip shop playing Dragon Breed, and I said "This is a great game, it would be great to put on the Amiga computer." Two weeks later I was given a job working on computer games, and the game that I was working on was Dragon Breed. Then I worked on R-Type 2, then I worked on Armalyte another of my favourite games.

Oprah is a dangerous crank given her immense popular appeal. She could probably convince even AMA to endorse homeopathy if she wanted to.

She’s promoting cranks. “The Secret” do you know how many people bought into this BS?

Oh yeah. I remember dinner time at the family house, I watched that episode when she first introduced it. I couldn't stop shaking my head... she had a whole pseudo-intellectual team of false authority for an hour selling the crap.

Of course she's a crank. Just because she's promoted charities and other real and useful things, it makes her no less a crank when she decides to promote something like "The Secret" book.

It's people like her that gain a degree of prominence and popularity that gives their audience a sense of trust which allows them to draw people into cults and other forms of idiotic nonsense.

Remember the nutcase in California that convinced a group of people who all committed suicide so they could get on the spaceship hiding behind the comet? Or James Jones who got all his followers to drink the poisoned Kool-Aide? What about Tom Cruise (and others) who support Scientology - and even long AFTER the founder, L. Ron Hubbard, admitted it was all a hoax in the first place???

There will never be an end to popular cranks just as there will never be an end of idiots who believe the garbage they dispense. :shrug: (and there's a goodly number of those dummies posting on this very site.)

Nice.. L.Ron Hubbard.

I could see L.Ron Hubbard saying scientology was a hoax. The poor guy had to spend most of his life in hiding, and died in deep hiding at a ranch.

Dianetics was interesting. I am not a scientologist, but the concept is unique.

- L Ron Hubbard proposed that Cells were able to detect danger based on a cellular memory. (according to Hubbard)

- This evolved as single cell organisms became creatures. (according to Hubbard)

- Then if a creature such as a fish were to go into deeper and colder water and then get attacked by a larger fish. The cells memory would record pain and associate the pain with cold water. (according to Hubbard)

- Then it comes up to human, and danger can be recognized at our cellular level in the same fashion. (according to Hubbard)

- If someone says "I love you" and then punches you in the face. The cellular memory records this. (according to Hubbard)

- Now if you hear the words, "I love you" you might break out in a cold sweat, and have a panic attack from the previous association. (according to Hubbard)

- This is why scientologists do not allow speaking in surgery. Even though a person is anaesthetized, their body may record pain and associate it with casual conversation in the operating theatre. (according to Hubbard)

That is actually called Dianetics. People who undergo a process called auditing, have word associations removed through a process of listening and testing reactions. Then they become "clears". Then a bunch of clears got together and formed a religion.

Aways. I have never been audited, and I think dianetics could have merit. It is certainly in direct opposition to the billion dollar fraudian psychiatric industry.

So a group of Fraudians became a group calling themselves "Anonymous", and the familiar war between to two camps broke out.

Might make a good movie. I do think it is an original idea, but have no idea about the validity of Scientology or Freudian results.

L.Ron hubbard just wrote a story about how cellular "engrams" might affect our overall psychology. It was a unique idea if nothing else. He did not set out to start a religion.

When people opted to become "clears" through auditing at $500 a pop, L.Ron Hubbard and many more jumped onto this money train.

Even today many people eek out a comfortable living auditing others.

L. Ron Hubbard became very rich off the concept, but was so hunted by indivuals/courts/ and organizations that he spent years as a recluse and when he died some people had assumed he was already dead.

Anyways.. I went off topic, but the story is amusing. I can see how people believe it.If I had severe mental disorder I would probably go for auditing just to play it safe.

Well if we kill all of the cranks in the world.....LOL.

Wouldn't make much difference at all. A crank is just another kind of fool. And remember the saying, "There's a fool born every minute"? Today, it would be more accurate to say "one every millisecond."

Is Oprah Winfrey a crank? Does the Tin Man have a sheet metal phallus?

Yeah she's definitely a crank, or at least she's perfectly happy to lend her name and reputation to a great many crank causes. Has the world changed in any way because of the woo she promotes? Has it changed anything in the way we understand and experiment in quantum mechanics? Nope.

My roommate watches Oprah religiously, so I watch with her sometimes when I feel like wasting an hour of my life. I remember one episode was basically an infomercial for a con artist carnival tricks Brazilian faith healer named "John of God" (Joao de Deus in Portuguese). Not one single mention that there are countless examples of known frauds around the world doing almost the exact same procedures in a manner that looks nearly identical. Nor was there any mention of the oddly high proportion of young women with non-breast related ailments who the good "doctor" determined would be best treated with some psychic hooter fondling action. And I'm nearly 100% sure Oprah knew exactly what she was doing, which is cynically playing to an audience of mostly depressed middle-aged women who feel they literally need a miracle to fix their lives. Well whatever it is- cancer, rickets, multiple sclerosis, going by Oprah's advice and comments, it sounds like this guy can fix anything under the sun with a little chanting and some tit fondling.

Anyhow, a few weeks later there was a young Brazilian lady on the show whose beautiful face had been completely melted away in a fiery car accident. I suggested that since Oprah supposedly cares so much about fixing the world, and the two relevant parties were both from Brazil anyhow, she ought to use her wealth and credentials to hook this lady up with the presumably omnipotent miracle worker "John of God" and get her all fixed up like new. Naturally, my roommate didn't take the comment very well. Apparently it's worse to point out someone's hypocrisy than it is to promise the moon to a demographic of desperate middle-aged ladies.

Just remember, while you are on your way to homelessness and misery, sooner or later:

Oprah Winfrey is rich and has a secure roof over her head,
while you arent' and you don't.

If you are a "crank", I'd like to say you are in good company.

And the "sheepeople" all pay to watch her do nothing but "entertain" them. She's nothing more than a good con artist making it seem that shes so good and then you just follow along giving her what she wants.:rolleyes:

sheepeople

People that follow the herd (the majority).

Easily influenced by peers/media to adopt certain behaviors or blindly follow trends.

The "freedom" to do what other people tell you to do... canned institutionalized thought (carbon copies).

Back