Is it possible to disparage a fictional character unethically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
Suppose you think the fictional character Harry Potter is a twit, and you say as much. Can saying as much BE unethical? Harry Potter doesn't exist and there is no good evidence that Harry Potter ever existed.

I don't see how an attack on the protagonist Harry Potter (or any of the books he is portrayed in, take Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for example) can ever be justified as unethical or immoral.

If you say as much to a little child (one who just LOVES Harry Potter) and this upsets them, THAT might be unethical and immoral. You're teasing this poor child who is still intellectually developing. What about an adult? Support there's an adult who just LOVES Harry Potter and spends a lot of time in a subforum crapping on about how great and wonderful Harry Potter is. You happen along and say: In my opinion Harry Potter is a twit. Is that unethical? Immoral?

Is it saying anything much about the type of people who LOVE Harry Potter? Is THAT unethical? Immoral? I think Harry Potter is a half-baked twit and anyone who would waste their life doting on Him needs to get a life.,

Oh, I got one, suppose we made a smart ass comment like this: Harry Twit-Face and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

OMG
OMG
OMG
... ... surely THAT is one step too far!! :p

Considering we spend a number pixels talking about fictional protagonists in fantasy novels with supposed adults who just LOVES them - these are some questions we may want to visit.

If your next comment is going to be Mohammed is fictional and there for its ethical to insult him then yes it is unethical because of the harm it does to the followers of Islam.

This is a thinly-veiled question asking if religious bigotry is acceptable. It is not. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back