Is it Ethical to...

Is it polite/ethical to swear to make a point ?

• F*** yeah,

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No, It only demeans the point and yourself.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Challenger78

Valued Senior Member
swear to prove a point or to make an impact ?

I mean, some things are so depraved, that you can't think of anything else but Fuck. Thats bad.

At the other extreme, you've got people who think swearing means that you are mature and adult, who will swear at every word, even on trivialities.

I try not to swear but find myself doing so anyway. It is very hard not to do so today when you are bombarded with swearing everywhere you turn. Movies, TV, radio, magazines and even some newspapers as well are now including some swear words . I don't even think about it whenever I use them, I just do. Seems like a part of life today, somewhat. As I say, I really try not to but it is so easy to let those words fly.:(

I think sometimes, If people know that you don't usually swear, you need to drop one to underscore how much this disturbs you. It works when you need to make one point, and one point only.

Swearing is expression of frustration brought on by powerlessness.

For example:
Because this is an internet forum I cannot physically beat the crap out of Draqon.
This leaves me powerless, and therefor frustrated.
This frustration is expressed by swearing.

;)

I think sometimes, If people know that you don't usually swear, you need to drop one to underscore how much this disturbs you. It works when you need to make one point, and one point only.
It's also useful when you want to impress someone - a girl, maybe - but don't have much money and don't know any big words.

I love swearing. I have a wide enough vocabulary to allow for such embellishments. It's the blossom on the tree for me. Although sometimes some people use it because they can't express themselves any better so it's like putting a really good tool in the hands of somebody who can't use it correctly, then it gets all diluted and loses it's impact. Swearing and having sex go together like strawberries and cream though.

Last edited:
I agree swearing when used in appropriate circumstance is not a bad thing. To prove a point or just because a vulgarism can sometimes be the most fitting choice in some statements. Stephen Fry is perhaps the best example of this. He is quite outspoken on the use of swearing being an essential part of the english language. I love the chapter in paperweight on "saying F**k" (pg 173 of first ed). Anyone who thinks swearing is just an excuse for poor vocabulary I suggest you email Mr Fry. One of his best quotes

"the sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in anyway a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just f**king lunatic"

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16175504

Swearing can be effective in getting your point across in certain situations but if you are actually in a professional or formal setting you demean yourself and your argument because you can lose respect and possibly your creditibility in the eyes of the people you are trying to persuade.

challager who said there was anything unethical about using "profanity" in the first place. Your starting from an assumption that its wrong to swear but even that position is up for debate. An unethical action would be an action that causes harm, doesnt promote good, resricts someones autonomie or is unjust (ie unfairly benifits only one group over another). How is profanity in anyway in any of those groups? In fact you could say its an expression of a persons autonomie which means its compleatly ethical

challager who said there was anything unethical about using "profanity" in the first place. Your starting from an assumption that its wrong to swear but even that position is up for debate. An unethical action would be an action that causes harm, doesnt promote good, resricts someones autonomie or is unjust (ie unfairly benifits only one group over another). How is profanity in anyway in any of those groups? In fact you could say its an expression of a persons autonomie which means its compleatly ethical

Haven't we been brought up and conditioned on the belief that it is wrong to swear ? For example, my school's motto is manner's makyth man.. etc.
The impact of swearing wouldn't be the same if we were told that swearing was ok.

I rarely swear, so when I do, its noticed. And what I am saying is paid more attention to.

And that's why the above Orleander has demonstrated lack of any ethical principles in American women...and the reason why I avoid them

Back