Is Darwin a prophet

Bishadi

Banned
Banned
11 October 2009

“You Still Walk Amongst Judges, Prophet Darwin!”

Robert Deyes

“When I looked under the microscope for the first time I saw the absolute need for humility in the face of Nature. I do not know if there is a God but what I do know is that man is no substitute”. These were the words of Professor Challenger in Tony Mulholland’s and Adrian Hodges’s screen adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Lost World, as he prepared for an adventure that would take him into the deepest parts of the Brazilian Amazon in search of prehistoric life

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/you-still-walk-amongst-judges-prophet-darwin/

Clearly there is much to be debated. It seems somewhat ironic therefore that the births of both Darwin and Conan Doyle should be brought together in a co-celebration of scientific and literary achievement (Ref 2). After all unlike Conan Doyle’s Challenger, Darwin quite clearly continues to walk amongst his own judges

Does that mean, he lives?

is the big "D" a prophet?

are we supposed to say, "for the good of aaaaaaaaaaal mennnnnnnnn"....

and then feed a mockingbird, in his memory?

what's the creed?

Darwin’s theory continues to standup under scrutiny by the scientific community.

He didn’t receive a supernatural revelation involving natural selection.

Darwin is dead however his discovery continues to be retold.

“The fact of evolution is the backbone of biology, and biology is thus in the peculiar position of being a science founded on an improved theory, is it then a science or faith?" - Charles Darwin 1809-1882

I rememeber we had Darwin's theory in grade 12 and lots of students found it both ridiculous and laughable . So the teacher had hard time controlling the class with all kinds of ......well....intelligent....questions .

In religion, a prophet is a person who has been contacted by, or has encountered, the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other humans.The message that the prophet conveys is called a prophecy.

This is the definition of "prophet" in Wikipedia. According to that:

is the big "D" a prophet?
question gets the answer of the big "NO"...

If you come up with other kind of definition for prophet or prophecy, please explain your criteria and logic alongside the definition. So we can scrutinize it.

Darwin didn't discover Natural Selection, its a common sense concept to which he simply gave the words "natural selection".

Peace be unto you ;)

Darwin didn't discover Natural Selection, its a common sense concept to which he simply gave the words "natural selection".

Did prophets discover the "divine creation", or did they just give the words?

Did prophets discover the "divine creation", or did they just give the words?

There is a difference in my eyes between discovery and common sense. Some things are truly discoveries, natural selection is not one of them.

Anyways its just my opinion, no reason to debate this.

Peace be unto you ;)

It was not until the emergence of the modern evolutionary synthesis from the 1930s to the 1950s that a broad consensus developed that natural selection was the basic mechanism of evolution. Darwin was the pioneer.

There is a difference in my eyes between discovery and common sense. Some things are truly discoveries, natural selection is not one of them.

Peace be unto you ;)

It was not until the emergence of the modern evolutionary synthesis from the 1930s to the 1950s that a broad consensus developed that natural selection was the basic mechanism of evolution. Darwin was the pioneer.
I've read that Arab philosophers were interested and discussed ideas very similar to natural selection. BUT they excluded humans from this process. Nonetheless they thought other animals may have arisen in some evolutionary-like manner.

I'd love to know more about these ideas. Any good books?

In 1831, Darwin began a scientific voyage lasting 5 years. On the voyage, Darwin read Lyell's 'Principles of Geology' which suggested that the fossils found in rocks were actually evidence of animals that had lived many thousands or millions of years ago.

Darwin worked on his theory for 20 years. After learning that another naturalist, Alfred Russel Wallace, had developed similar ideas, the two made a joint announcement of their discovery in 1858. In 1859 Darwin published 'On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection'.

Sure, but you are talking about natural selection as a basic mechanism of evolution- the link between natural selection and evolution is not common sense. But natural selection as process itself is common sense.

Peace be unto you ;)

Is "divine creation" a discovery or common sense?

I think it is common sense, the difference is we don't accept it easily so people need to come and remind us- that is what the prophet does.

Peace be unto you ;)

Darwin%20Fish%20Silver%20Emblem%20(Car%20Plaque)%20(2214).jpg

I'll put one on my car!

you just opened up an underlying theme i had not seen before in this context (natural selection)

Wiki.......... Natural selection is the process by which heritable traits that make it more likely for an organism to survive and successfully reproduce become more common in a population over successive generations.

in which that definition from wiki, is sharing quite and opposition to random mutation but the combined words "natural selection" make it seem as if it is

here is the contrast

Wiki .........Darwin's theory
In 1859, Charles Darwin set out his theory of evolution by natural selection as an explanation for adaptation and speciation. He defined natural selection as the "principle by which each slight variation [of a trait], if useful, is preserved".

in which the change, can be environmentally caused

the idea of random is believed, as the 'cause' is unknown......

Back