Irony

one_raven

God is a Chinese Whisper
Valued Senior Member
This Thread was closed and the links were removed.

First off, I'd like to say that I think file sharing is theft, is wrong and should not be encouraged.
I have to say, however, that I thought the mod action was pretty ironic, considering this place was borne of a file-sharing program - or did I misundertand the origins of this place and the software Dave developed to fund this place?

The irony is its own issue. Acquisition is not to be used for piracy. The fact that many users put it to that purpose is their own decision and risk.

The biggest problem, though, is that sharing copyrighted files can be a fast-track to the evaporation of Sciforums and the penalizing of our administration.

Pissing off U.S. Homeland Security is one thing. Those circle jerkers can diddle themselves with fish-hooks for all I care. But calling down the RIAA or some similar commercial monster is unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong: I've done it before, and very few, if any, justifications will suffice. If you are the copyright holder, of course, we might (depending on the circumstances) resent the exploitation of the site as an advertising outlet. To the other, I once asked a friend of mine if he minded should I distribute a couple of his songs. The answer was that I should distribute to my heart's content. And should I ever have cause to pass around copies of those songs at Sciforums, I will provide that disclaimer.

I am part of the chain that led to the closure of that topic. My primary concern in drawing administrative attention is the well-being of our beloved insane asylum.

Acquisition is not to be used for piracy. The fact that many users put it to that purpose is their own decision and risk.

Right... and head shops sell pipes and bongs that are for "tobacco use only". :rolleyes:

Yeah, and 'round here they kick you out of the store for even accidentally suggesting otherwise.

Back