Irony of Faith

Dano9700

Registered Senior Member
Does anyone else think that faith is preposterous?
Christians (and lots of other relgious groups) are taught to believe in something with all their heart, despite contrary evidence or logic that refutes what they believe in, and they are also taught that these views are evil or come from satan. Essentially, Christians (in my experience, being raised as one) are taught, from an early age, to close their minds to doubt and stubbornly, obtusely believe in something that they can never prove.

Faith, from my perspective, is justified dogmatism.

I can't think of much evidence for why there is a god, but I can find plenty to support his non-existence, e.g.:

Who wants to die and be over with, done, non-feeling and non-existing, when they die?
In truth, no one does; we want to live on forever, in one form or another, for obvious reasons. Heaven and salvation, then, seem to be a fantasy constructed by men to comfort and justify their otherwise puny existence.

Another: Over 90 percent of the world's people are religious in some form or another, but Christianity teaches that only those who accept Christ as their savior will go to heaven. Who are Christians to say that everyone else is wrong (or Muslims, or Buddhists, for that matter), to hold their 'saved' souls above all the other 'damned' people of the earth?

Believe me, I want there to be a god, and of course a heaven; I'm like anyone else in that respect. But I can't deny the facts, the overwhelming reasons for humans to delude themselves in order to give their lives meaning.
And if they are deluding themselves, maybe there's nothing wrong with that anyways, if it makes them better people.

But personally, I cannot devote my life to something unless I'm sure of it.

I hope this starts some discussion, and maybe you can change my mind. I'll at least try to be open-minded.

dano welcome I think you'll find most on this forum thing religious faith is an abomination, if you take a look at this it's a thread I did some time ago, you might find it interesting.

Dano9700 said:
Who wants to die and be over with, done, non-feeling and non-existing, when they die?

I would like to think that everything stops existing after this body dies, but I just can't believe something so irrational. Like the Buddha said, life is suffering. Infact, I believe the "non-existence" may be the "heaven" which religions speak of. Obviously, I don't deserve nothingness, so I won't "vanish" after death, I can't even imagine that.

Dano9700, I guess I could consider myself a Christian, but aren't god and christ the same. I once read in a scripture when Christ said he was the father. So if they believe they accept god they must accept christ, but if like you said...that jesus and the father are completely seperate...well then...those christians better think a little harder cuz no god that created heaven and hell would do that. I understand what ur saying. I also think its kind of ignorant for them to say that bcuz they are tryin to play the roll of god and say who goes where.

Dear Dano,

This is the triumph of Masonic Atheistic Propaganda, that there is not evidence for Christianity. Christianity is a Religion of a Revealed Truth -- it is veritably a History of Recorded Events. Yes, the Bible may be ancient, but that does not make it false. And then there is Catholicism which adds to Biblical Revelation with the Events recorded of the Saints and the Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. All of this counts as Empirical Evidence to any rational person.

Yet, we have only the assertions of the Masons, and all of those who dumbly follow their lead, that all religion is entirely sourced out of empty conjecture. This notion is encouraged by Philosophical Atheists who argue mostly against Philosophical Religion -- the Religion not of Revelation but the Religion of the Greeks who assumed, along Descartian lines, that if they could even think of a concept, then, at some level, it must be True. So, taking the lead from the success of their Mathematicians, who showed some correspondance between mental concept and reality, they stretched mathematical absolutes into a Theology. But this Philosophical Religion was only a prelude for Philosophical Atheism, as all that was required to refute Philosophical Religion was for the Philosophical Atheists to point out that in the Real Universe, there were no Real Absolutes. But when did Revealed Religion ever assert an Absolute, unless it was some misguided idiot who though himself honor bound to defend Greek Religion simply because he thought it necessary to defend all Religion in general.

Dano9700 said:
Does anyone else think that faith is preposterous?
Christians (and lots of other relgious groups) are taught to believe in something with all their heart, despite contrary evidence or logic that refutes what they believe in, and they are also taught that these views are evil or come from satan. Essentially, Christians (in my experience, being raised as one) are taught, from an early age, to close their minds to doubt and stubbornly, obtusely believe in something that they can never prove.

d)))Yes. blind faith.....MY definition of faith is much more Earthy. for example, say you are on a surfborad, yeah? if you are rigid, you aren't going to make it right....but if you have faith in going WITH, then you will. i prefer my definition--actually i first heard it from Alan Watts

Faith, from my perspective, is justified dogmatism.

d)))Yes

I can't think of much evidence for why there is a god, but I can find plenty to support his non-existence, e.g.:

d))depends how you define 'god'

In truth, no one does; we want to live on forever, in one form or another, for obvious reasons. Heaven and salvation, then, seem to be a fantasy constructed by men to comfort and justify their otherwise puny existence.

d))look at it this way. we have two camps. the Christians and the athiests, or the theists and the athiests. The former have faith in some everlasting paradise all reserved for the faithfull....And the latter believe that when yer dead yer daed. that's it
Now i dont believe either views. i see they are bascially coming from the same roots. the patriarchy. The one that demonizes Nature.
NOW, If you have insight that you are utterly, intimately interelated with Nature, and Nature is ALIVE, what then? what is death then? what do you feel?

Another: Over 90 percent of the world's people are religious in some form or another, but Christianity teaches that only those who accept Christ as their savior will go to heaven. Who are Christians to say that everyone else is wrong (or Muslims, or Buddhists, for that matter), to hold their 'saved' souls above all the other 'damned' people of the earth?

d)))well the others you mention also have their superior notions about their destination. Islam is part and parcel of the same Abrahamic roots as Christianity, and Buddhism believes in 'karma'. so it might see the christian as having a limited belief, and that heaven is not the end. By the way, i also view Busddhist believe as wanting to escape Nature, similar to all patriarchal ideals.

Believe me, I want there to be a god, and of course a heaven; I'm like anyone else in that respect. But I can't deny the facts, the overwhelming reasons for humans to delude themselves in order to give their lives meaning.
And if they are deluding themselves, maybe there's nothing wrong with that anyways, if it makes them better people.

d))How so?...to me it is delusion to believe in a false belief. having said that, i am not demonizing them. i just speak my truth and that's it

But personally, I cannot devote my life to something unless I'm sure of it.

I hope this starts some discussion, and maybe you can change my mind. I'll at least try to be open-minded.

openmindedness is where its at

Back