Invasive species and species-level selection/replacement

Buckaroo Banzai

Mentat
Registered Senior Member
Just sheer curiosity about some possible patterns regarding invasive species.

I have a doubt related with the rates of replacement of related species (I'm mostly interested in related species, albeit unrelated species of the same niche is still pertinent). Whether it first emerges and replaces closely related species within the ranges of the site of origin more or less rapidly than it replaces related/similar niche species on new territories.

My hunch is that they tend to replace species on new territories faster than they replace, if they ever replace, "neighbor" species from/closer to their region of origin.

The reasoning is that the species from the original territory is probably more on pair with adaptations to that environment, and what defines (sort of) an invasive species is being better adapted the new territory than the species that was already there. Possibly the longer period of coexistence in the original territory not only results in an arms race between both species, making both able to avoid being replaced by one another, but also in either of them being possibly better equiped to replace a similar species that hasn't participated in such arms race with a competing species.

All this sounds reasonable to me, but I'd like to know if there's actual data/studies supporting these ideas. I'm not claiming it's "my theory" or anything, it may well be just an old well known theory, supported or not.

Back