Insulin & Insulin Resistance?

Kumar

Registered Senior Member
Hello,

"The process of downregulation occurs when there are elevated levels of the hormone insulin in the blood."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downregulation_and_upregulation

"The oscillations are believed to be important for insulin sensitivity by preventing downregulation of insulin receptors in target cells."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_oscillations

In consideration of above understanding, can enhanced endogenous insulin by irregular food habits, hypoglycemic oral medicines or by exogenous injected insulin cause insulin resistance in type2 diabetics due to insulin's excessive & continual exposure to target cells ? Long & very long acting new insulin's analogues for their long term & continual effects are to be specially looked into for this consideration. I think insulin's exposure also need to take rest to avoid down-regulation.

Best wishes.

I think no awnser to it. Apart from above insulin's degradation also happens. Probably continual & lang lasting also interfere in this process causing increased exposure.

Hello,

In consideration of above understanding, can enhanced endogenous insulin by irregular food habits, hypoglycemic oral medicines or by exogenous injected insulin cause insulin resistance in type2 diabetics due to insulin's excessive & continual exposure to target cells ? Long & very long acting new insulin's analogues for their long term & continual effects are to be specially looked into for this consideration. I think insulin's exposure also need to take rest to avoid down-regulation.

Best wishes.

Yes, the phenomenon of insulin receptor down-regulation happens exactly as you have described.

Yes, the phenomenon of insulin receptor down-regulation happens exactly as you have described.

Hi John,

Thanks.

In diabetics type2, Insulin exposure can be higher than normal either due to endogenous or exogenous reasons. In this consideration, can we take that, enhanced & continual exposure due to exogenous reasons--oral medicies, insulins esp. long acting, can be a real culprit to getting insulin resistance? Some state of Obesity & viceral fats, so thought reasons to IR, may just be a saturation point to energy stores beyond which downregulation and insulin resistance start?

Hi John,

Thanks.

In diabetics type2, Insulin exposure can be higher than normal either due to endogenous or exogenous reasons. In this consideration, can we take that, enhanced & continual exposure due to exogenous reasons--oral medicies, insulins esp. long acting, can be a real culprit to getting insulin resistance?

I wouldn't say a big culprit. You may already have had IR if you are taking insulin medications and this IR may have been diet related. I doubt many people on insulin medications develop IR to the same extent as diet induced IR.

Some state of Obesity & viceral fats, so thought reasons to IR, may just be a saturation point to energy stores beyond which downregulation and insulin resistance start?

I don't really understand this part

I wouldn't say a big culprit. You may already have had IR if you are taking insulin medications and this IR may have been diet related. I doubt many people on insulin medications develop IR to the same extent as diet induced IR.

Anytype can be possible. If diet related IR, probably additionalinsulins may either be not working or adding to IR or causing effects by insulin's many other actions than just its glucose effects. Insulin also has many other actions on physiology. But basic idea is more insulin & its lessor oscillations.[/quote]

I don't really understand this part

Sorry, I suspect individual energy store saturation trigger IR by downregulation.

I am also trying to find awnsers to followings:

Insulin has many physiological effects(actions) most are indicated below. There can be some more direct or indirect effects esp. environmental factors-- temp., acid, base & water related.

1. Whether all these actions are insulin's receptors dependant or some are also independat of receptors? iF YES, WHICH ARE?

2. Will a diabetic type2 get other instabilties than glucose control on elevated insulin--exo/endo genous exposures?

Physiological effects

The actions of insulin on the global human metabolism level include:

Control of cellular intake of certain substances, most prominently glucose in muscle and adipose tissue (about ⅔ of body cells).
Increase of DNA replication and protein synthesis via control of amino acid uptake.
Modification of the activity of numerous enzymes.
The actions of insulin on cells include:

Increased glycogen synthesis – insulin forces storage of glucose in liver (and muscle) cells in the form of glycogen; lowered levels of insulin cause liver cells to convert glycogen to glucose and excrete it into the blood. This is the clinical action of insulin which is directly useful in reducing high blood glucose levels as in diabetes.
Increased fatty acid synthesis – insulin forces fat cells to take in blood lipids which are converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
Increased esterification of fatty acids – forces adipose tissue to make fats (i.e., triglycerides) from fatty acid esters; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
Decreased proteolysis – decreasing the breakdown of protein.
Decreased lipolysis – forces reduction in conversion of fat cell lipid stores into blood fatty acids; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
Decreased gluconeogenesis – decreases production of glucose from non-sugar substrates, primarily in the liver (remember, the vast majority of endogenous insulin arriving at the liver never leaves the liver); lack of insulin causes glucose production from assorted substrates in the liver and elsewhere.
Decreased autophagy - decreased level of degradation of damaged organelles. Postprandial levels inhibit autophagy completely.[13]
Increased amino acid uptake – forces cells to absorb circulating amino acids; lack of insulin inhibits absorption.
Increased potassium uptake – forces cells to absorb serum potassium; lack of insulin inhibits absorption. Insulin's increase in cellular potassium uptake lowers potassium levels in blood.
Arterial muscle tone – forces arterial wall muscle to relax, increasing blood flow, especially in micro arteries; lack of insulin reduces flow by allowing these muscles to contract.
Increase in the secretion of hydrochloric acid by Parietal cells in the stomach.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin

Sorry, I suspect individual energy store saturation trigger IR by downregulation.

I thought glycosylation - attachment of a sugar to a protein - cause IR as found by the John Hopkins study?

Perhaps, excess fat creates an environment where coversion of further sugar is not possible and thereby glycosylation and hence IR?

"Textbooks frequently and incorrectly show glycosylation only happening to proteins on the cell surface," says Hart. "Complex sugars are added only to proteins outside the cell, but simple sugars are used all the time in the nucleus and cytoplasm to modify proteins. It's this glycosylation that happens inside the cell, involving simple sugars, that is the key in insulin resistance."

"We think we've come across a major mechanistic reason for insulin resistance," says Hart. "These cells developed insulin resistance simply because their proteins, and specific proteins in fact, had more than the normal number of sugar tags."

If key proteins laden with sugar are present in patients with diabetes, the findings may provide a target for developing new strategies to deal with this growing public health threat, says Hart. While diabetes can be fairly well controlled by diet and carefully monitoring one's blood sugar levels, finding a way to remove extra sugar tags may help treat or prevent diabetes someday, the researchers suggest.

"Textbooks frequently and incorrectly show glycosylation only happening to proteins on the cell surface," says Hart. "Complex sugars are added only to proteins outside the cell, but simple sugars are used all the time in the nucleus and cytoplasm to modify proteins. It's this glycosylation that happens inside the cell, involving simple sugars, that is the key in insulin resistance."

The "simple sugar" to which he refers is O-linked beta-N-acetylglucosamine, a complex name that condenses to a difficult acronym -- O-GlcNAc -- with an ugly pronunciation -- "oh-gluck-nack." But in many ways, O-GlcNAc is a beautiful and mysterious thing, says Hart.

"O-GlcNAc is a modifier on many proteins, but if you didn't know to look for it, you'd never find it," he says. "Instruments and the usual laboratory methods have a hard time measuring it, so we developed the techniques to detect it."

O-GlcNAc is added to proteins by one enzyme and removed from proteins by another. By selectively blocking that removal, the scientists hoped to load up proteins with sugar without adding extra sugar (the way other scientists have created insulin resistance). "We wanted to see the effect of glycosylation itself, so we used a molecular sledgehammer to increase the amount of sugar bound to proteins," says Hart, whose lab proved the ability of the blocker, a molecule called PUGNAc.

Not only did the blocker increase the amount of O-GlcNAc bound to proteins, but that increase caused the cells to stop responding to insulin, say co-first authors and postdoctoral fellows Lance Wells and Keith Vosseller.

Looking for proteins in the insulin-signaling pathway that were more glycosylated than normal, Vosseller and Wells found two: beta-catenin and insulin receptor substrate-1 (IRS-1). The crucial role these proteins play in passing along insulin's messages is likely to be adversely affected by the extra sugars they carry, the researchers say.

"Our experiments show that increasing O-GlcNAc on proteins is, by itself, a cause of insulin resistance, rather than an effect or a coincidence," says Vosseller.

In the body, sugar (glucose) is changed into glucosamine, which is changed into O-GlcNAc. Other scientists have shown that giving cells or animals excessive amounts of sugar or glucosamine, along with extra insulin, leads to insulin resistance. The new findings provide an explanation for others' experience with animal and laboratory models of insulin resistance.

There has been little study of glucosamine, a commonly used dietary supplement, in people. It is suggested that people taking glucosamine consult their doctors if they are concerned about the possibility of increasing their risk of developing diabetes.

Link

Thanks. Now following aspects may be relavent:-

Extra glucose

Extra insulin.

Glycosylation due to extra glucose.

Obesity may lead to saturation of enrgy stores which may trigger downregulation of receptors.

Ok?

Back