Infinitesimal

Immortal Man

Registered Member
We've all thought about how immeasurable the universe is and how far it expands, but have you ever wondered the opposite question? How far inward can we explore? Or just how small can a particle be? And Is there an end to how tiny a molecule could be?:bugeye:If we had a magical miniature microscopic microscope and a mystical miniature microscopic eye with the ability to constantly shrink them all excessively enough, would there eventually come a point to where size could not be lessened any further. Or would we be able to contract infinitely?
:shrug:
Anyone with any good facts and/or theories
feel free to comment.

Last edited:
The infinite and the infinitesimal ... one of my favorite topics ... and infinitesimal has no limit if energy is infinitely fine. But the concept of energy occupying all space is controversial so to discuss the fineness of say the aether is controversial. But if we leave that controversy aside for a minute and contemplate the concept that energy as the only commodity in the universe, and that all space contains energy density to some degree, i.e. there are no voids, then ...

It is possible to consider energy as being infinitely fine.

If we can contemplate energy as being infinitely fine then there is no limit to the smallest possible particle. A whole universe could exist within a single fundamental particle as science describes them in the standard particle model.

Have you every heard of the "turtles all the way down" cosmology :D?

Thank you for commenting. I have not heard of the "turtles all the way down" cosmology.
I am actually new to all of this. I have just been thinking a lot more lately:)
I will look it up though, thanks again!

Thank you for commenting. I have not heard of the "turtles all the way down" cosmology.
I am actually new to all of this. I have just been thinking a lot more lately:)
I will look it up though, thanks again!
My pleasure, good luck in your new interests.

The "Turtles" cosmology was a funny comment supposedly made to Bertrand Russell at a lecture.

In my studies of the infinitesimal the topic of "levels of order" comes into play. Our perceivable universe operates on a level of order where the the smallest building blocks are part of the atomic structure that composes mass and makes objects perceivable to us.

The next lower level of order would be where our smallest possible particle would be equivalent to the Big Bang on that lower level of order.

The next higher level of order would be where our largest single perception, i.e. say the Big Bang, would be the smallest possible particle in that higher level.

"Turtles all the way down" and "up" would be the cosmology that says that there are an infinite number of levels of order. Energy would have to be infinitely fine, and time would have to be a continuum. The distinguishing factor would be the difference between Planck time on each level if the physics were the same otherwise.

Last edited:
Yeah, I told my brother that the universe has a lot of space in it, and that it must go on forever. My brother said the thought of there being an end or the thought of there being no end are both crazy. How can either one really work? It seems crazier to me for there to be a limit. I mean if at some point the universe stops, then what is there stopping it? A wall of some sort? And just how thick would that wall have to be for there not to be another side to it.

Kind of reminds me of Fermi's Paradox. Size and scale getting closer to zero but never actually reaching that point.

Back