Infections while on Amoxicillin

DubStyle

I may be wrong, but I doubt it
Registered Senior Member
Okay,

Get this. Im currently takeing 500mg of amoxicillin 3 times a day to fight an ear and seinus infection. While im taking these anibiotics, is it possible for me to contract another infection, say a lung infection? Will the anitbodies prempt any other infection?

Sure you can contract another infection. Amoxicillin is one of the milder and more overprescribed antibiotics. So your chances of coming in contact with a resistant strain of bacteria are very good. And no antibiotic can do anything against a viral infection. So you are still wide open for colds, influenza, and even rarer things like viral pneumonia. So be careful, eat right and get your rest, and be sure to finish your entire dosage of antibiotics.

Last edited:
the only bacteria im worried about being in contact with is the llittle bit of Botrytis mold that appeard on my marijuana

Smoking is very bad about aggravating sinusitis, so you'll want to pass on that until your sinuses are clear. And mold isn't bacteria; mold is mold (fungus).

thanks,

so, on a scale of 1-10, how dangerous is it for me to be smoking this weed?

also, im vapoirizing it most of the time rather than smoking and i water-filter the vapor, im thinking the water filtering of air & THC vapor would clean many of the spores out

I can't give you a danger rating, I'm not a doctor. But I can tell you that smoking anything isn't a good idea when you're fighting sinusitis.

I'm not to clear on the difference between smoking and vaporizing. If there is a flame involved then you are smoking it. If you can't live without some THC for a while, maybe now would be a good time to bake up some brownies or butter cookies. No sinus aggravation there.

any doctors in the house?

btw, vaporizing means you heat the air to around 400F and when the air at that temp passes over the plant, it releases the THC without combustion, theirs no flame or smoke involved

Amoxicillin is an extended-spectrum penicillin that will protect you against non-resistant strains of most Gram-positive bacteria, as well as some Gram-negatives.

You can still be infected by many Gram-negative bacteria, as well as by normally susceptible bacterial strains that have acquired resistance plasmids (coding for, e.g., efflux pumps or beta-lactamases).

Resistance to amoxicillin is very common these days, due to its frequent use in both clinical and research applications. Sometimes the doc will give you a formulation with a beta-lactamase inhibitor included to fight back against this type of resistance.

By the way, mold is not a bacterium. It is a fungus, and antibiotics will be ineffective against it. You would need an antifungal to fight that type of infection.

But I've never heard of a Botrytis infection in a person. Usually it attacks plants, no?

Back