Infant memory

GeoffP

Caput gerat lupinum
Valued Senior Member
Why can't we remember anything from when we were kids? The first thing I remember is from four, maybe something at three, and of course - my own traumatizing birth.

J/k about the last one. But why don't we recall? What is it they don't want us to know?

maybe consciousness awakes...in babies. Almost all go on reflexes from birth until age 2-3 and than consciousness fully awakes... At least that is my experience from my memories.

I expect it's because our long-term mental storehouse is still being built or something.

Last edited:
I remember my first birthday party. I wore a white dress and it was in our new home, we had just moved in. That is my earliest memory. I remember a lot of stuff from my childhood.

I was 3, walked to the grade school next door, showed everyone my new underwear. They were red and had a mouse on them. A teacher grabbed me and walked me right back home.

I was 3, walked to the grade school next door, showed everyone my new underwear. They were red and had a mouse on them. A teacher grabbed me and walked me right back home.

I remember when I was very small, mum had got us these little white undies with lots and lots of frills, but only at the back; the frills were bordered with a contrast color, my favorites were red, yellow and light blue (don't remember what the others were, one might gave been pink). I remember trying to walk and falling on my butt, nicely cushioned with the frills (and diapers of course):D

LOL, They were red satin bloomers with a pocket and that mouse was peeking out of the pocket. As soon as I got taken home, my Mom took them away from me, I went back into cotton undies and I never saw them again.
Hmm, that may explain why I have always loved red.

I remember my first birthday party. I wore a white dress and it was in our new home, we had just moved in. That is my earliest memory. I remember a lot of stuff from my childhood.
Wow! That is an early memory. My earliest is sitting in my highchair and crying because I was hungry or bored or something then I looked at my hands and got distracted by the veins in my wrist which fascinated me. Don't know how old I was though. Likely around two.

i remember lyin on a table with my infant cousin next to me, naked. and peeing straight up in the air, everyone laughs. i remember crawilg across a room and i remember three relative calling me....'here john, here' snapping fing big faces, grinning like...real scary. I also remember my father picking me up from my crib, i had footie pajamams and a small toy in one hand.

It would appear that there is not much difference between adult and infant memory storage; so it may merely be a matter of retrieval.

evidence reveals that the roots of adult memory systems can be traced to earliest infancy, and that these systems develop in parallel--not hierarchically--thereafter. Let me caution, however, that uncritically accepting the notion of dichotomous memory systems is an easy trap to fall into. Although simple dichotomies--like 2-way interactions--are easier to undfirstand than numerous systems or sub-systems involving 16-way interactions or more, a this-or-that model is unlikely to capture the variety and richness of what each of us remembers on different occasions. Although perceptual identification and recognition appear to be different processes, for example, per-ceptual identification may be a precursor of recognition rather than part of a memory system entirely distinct from it.

http://www.psichi.org/pubs/articles/article_104.asp

Over the first year and a half of life, the duration of memory becomes progressively longer, the specificity of the cues required for recognition progressively decreases after short test delays, and the latency of priming progressively decreases to the adult level. The memory dissociations of very young infants on recognition and priming tasks, which presumably tap different memory systems, are also identical to those of adults. These parallels suggest that both memory systems are present very early in development instead of emerging hierarchically over the 1st year, as previously thought. Finally, even young infants can remember an event over the entire "infantile amnesia" period if they are periodically exposed to appropriate nonverbal reminders. In short, the same fundamental mechanisms appear to underlie memory processing in infants and adults.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1467-8721.00019?cookieSet=1&journalCode=cdir

Research on infantile amnesia in humans relies on more anecdotal evidence. Some people can recall a few memories formed when they were as young as 2 or 3 years of age, but most of us can recall much more from when we were 5 or 6 years old. Studies suggest that we're not simply forgetting what happened during our earliest years; far fewer autobiographical memories exist from early childhood than simple forgetting predicts. So the fate of early memories remains puzzling; solving the mystery of infantile amnesia may go a long way towards a more general theory about how we remember and why we forget.

What Happens To Early Memories?

Theories about infantile amnesia can be divided into two broad categories: those which hold that the memory loss is due to a storage difficulty (i.e., early experiences are not properly transformed into long-term memories) and those that claim the memory loss is a retrieval problem (i.e., the memories exist, but we can't recollect them).

The idea that infantile amnesia may be caused by inadequate memory formation stems from studies which show that the neural circuitry of the brain is not fully functional in infants. For example, we know that much of the visual system is still developing after birth, and that myelination in many cortical areas isn't completed for quite a while. In many animal species, the hippocampus, a brain structure that is critical for many types of memory formation, is not entirely developed at birth. Numerous studies have illustrated that rats improve markedly on memory tasks 18 to 23 days after birth, during the time that the hippocampus becomes mature. In humans, however, the hippocampus seems nearly mature at birth, so hippocampal development is probably not at the heart of infantile amnesia. Instead, research has shown that maturation of the infereotemporal cortex and the prefrontal cortex corresponds with the improvement on a number of memory tasks. The activity of these regions may be the key to the whereabouts of our earliest memories.

The Language Link

Perhaps the largest developmental change in humans is the acquisition of language, which generally coincides with when we start to remember things (age 3-4 years). This close association has led some researchers to suggest that language development allows internal and external rehearsal of experiences, and hence better storage in long-term memory. Though there is little doubt that memory for autobiographical experiences and language ability must be linked to some degree, the fact that pre-verbal babies can demonstrate functional memories suggests that language not is necessary for long term memory storage or retrieval.
http://www.brainconnection.com/topics/?main=fa/infantile-amnesia2

I have the worst memory in the memory of man. I find it hard to remember what I was doing an hour ago.

Vague recollection of my auntie lashing out at my sister with her foot from a sitting position and falling off the chair hard. Twelve or thereabouts?

Me falling off a workman's hut that I shouldn't have been on in the first place. Their fire obviously hadn't been out long, as the ashes were warm on my cheek. Elevenish?

Playing tug-of-war with friends and an invisible rope in the face of fast-approaching traffic. The police car came from nowhere and we all ran and hid in a communal bin-shed. I was terrified. Seven?

Hanging about on the corner into the early hours; ripping derelict pubs and houses apart for Bonfire Night (the most special night in our local calendar); daring raids on the woodpiles collected by local rivals; rumours of raids on ours that never seemed to materialise. Six?

Earlier memories than that probably but the mental strain of recalling them is making me tired now.

So is it memories related to an emotional experience that persist? Do you recall these incidents for any particular reason?

Yes. They were fun.

(You're probably right - it's the emotional impact they had. Recalling anything mundane is a lot harder.)

Yes. They were fun.

(You're probably right - it's the emotional impact they had. Recalling anything mundane is a lot harder.)

I recall very strange things; many of them to do with taste or smell. e.g. my grandma used to make mango puree and dip her finger in it and put it in our mouth; I can still remember the taste. My mum and grandma used to put us on their outstretched legs and massage us with warm oil (presumably for strenghtening muscles), they used coconut oil, I remember the smell. I remember the tune that the radio station played first thing in the morning (6 a.m.) and the smell of Pond's dreamflower talc (used by grandma) and Johnson baby powder (used on us). Fun stuff.:eek:

Also weird stuff. Putting a layer of cream on my cup of tea so thick that I should not see any brown (maybe 5-6?) going out to get a slab of butter every day for breakfast (around same age), being afraid of being chased by wild boars in the swamp near grandmothers house), finding new born puppies behind grandmas house (maybe 7?)

I remember lying in my pram and people coming to 'see the baby', gootchy gooing me, while my dog barked like mad from underneath the pram.

i remember bieng 4 and sneaking down stairs and drinking my moms wine. that's the earliest i can remember

Back