In every language there is a word meaning God.

crazylemon

Registered Member
In every religion there is a word meaning God. Surely this means that everyone recognises the belief that some people have in a God. However in some languages there is not a word for religion. Does this mean that some people don't know what religion is?

Originally posted by crazylemon
In every religion there is a word meaning God. Surely this means that everyone recognises the belief that some people have in a God. However in some languages there is not a word for religion. Does this mean that some people don't know what religion is?

a definition of god is so ambigouis that of course every culture would have some word describing him, but i'm pretty sure if you were to compare these "gods" that you would have very different beings

If you live in a society which only has one religion, the word "religion" could be unnecessary. "Religion" would be almost synonymous with "belief" or "faith". Of course, once your society was sophisticated enough, you'd probably want to start distinguishing religious belief from science, so you'd need labels then.

Which languages don't have a word for "religion"? I'm interested.

Why are we here? What is the purpose of life?

All that is indicated to me by the consistency of the idea of God among cultures is that people pretty much wonder if there's a point to life, and seek some form of answer to those questions as notions of God purport to address.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Which languages don't have a word for "religion"? I'm interested.

sorry i don't actually know ! my rs teacher was discussing it with me he didn't say which particular ones it was. I guess it is some random language of a minor cult.

Back