In all seriousness....does it exist?

sargentlard

Save the whales motherfucker
Valued Senior Member
How prevalent is homosexuality in the animal kingdom excluding our species? While the current acceptance of homosexuality has brought out the numbers of homosexual men and women to significant new heights how avaliable is in the animal kingdom? Is it present in every species?

Homosexuality was literally unheard of before due to the bitter hatred against it. Many hid their preferences all their lives in fear. Does that also occur in the animal tribes? Or do the other members of the tribe, or school, or pack don't care of this seemingly abnormal behavior?

there is a book...Biological Exuberance, which is "a groundbreaking and important book that explodes the pervasive myth that homosexuality is not commonly found in nature. Research has documented homosexuality in more than 450 species of mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects and other animals worldwide, including instances of life-long homosexual bonding in species that show no evidence of heterosexual bonding for life."
http://cellar.usc.edu:9673/review/iglr/review.html?rec_id=48

But then it depends on how homosexuality is defined? Do animals, and insects have a sexuality?

I have two male pet rats that can certainly attest to its existence. Put both in a cage with a female and 4 times out of 5 they try to mate with each other instead of the female. Darn shame as they are of good breeding stock.

Ick. Rattie dry humping.

I watched an excellent documentary on the subject about a year ago.
Its certainly not as common in any one species as it is in humans but its definately real.
Sometimes its merely social behaviour and the animals engaging in it are still planning on having hetero-sex and procreating, but in less common cases animals are flaming homo's and won't mate with the opposite sex.
Their was a pair of male leopard seals. They lived together hunted together constantly touched eachother and nuzzled eachother lovingly.
They seemed so nice, untill a female showed up innocently wanting some action and they brutally attacked her and angrily chased her away.
They lived their whole life this way and never bred.
I believe the show also featured a pair of cunnilingus loving gazzelle dykes who refused male attention their entire lives and also never bred.
This sort of "true homosexuality" isn't common by any means but it does occur.

But then it depends on how homosexuality is defined? Do animals, and insects have a sexuality?

This is more of a reason why i ask this question.

So many species mate simply for reproduction, i mean do they even feel the emotion we call love? So many simply mate to pass on their seed to continue the species for another generation and so many meet to mate solely through chemical reactions...what if the wrong chemical signals were sent (a insect sent a wrong scent that attracted males..just a guess?).

Doesn't homosexuality and choosen preference for same gender require higher consiousness of reproduction where somewhat emotion is required?

Back