if we made human a plant

smoking revolver
Valued Senior Member
I was just thinking- plants get a part of nutriments they need because of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis happens because plants have chlorophil (sp) in their cells.

With all this cloning and genetical engeneering , would it be possible we make humans or some other living creatures create useful nutriments by inserting chlorophil (sp) into their cells?

I'm not qualified to answer that cause it would probably get very in depth with using the glucose and oxygen it makes in conjunction with our stomach and lungs. And the way the nutrients would be passed to the right parts would be complicated, and involving chloroplasts into our cells or incorporating plant cells in our skin...but....

It would be pretty cool to see green people walking around. :bugeye: :eek:

btw, your sooo close....its chlorophyll :)

I figure you would have to lower our metabolism, thus making us slower, and raise our surface area.

Many organs would become useless and would dissapear.

We would end up looking very alien compaired to the current "us".
Still, it would have advantages. If I was still allowed to consiously manipulate my enviroment I might take that route.

I remember there is this lifeform that maintains a symbiosis, in the sense that it's a transparent lifeform, and this particular algea grows within it's insides.

Between the two, light makes the algea grow, and the lifeform feeds from the algea, they can coexist.

The cellular structure of plants in comparison to that of animals is different, not just due to one acting on photosynthesis while the other works on other chemical reactions without need of light.

You can guess that planet RNA has a far different pattern to that of a human, in fact it's a less complicated pattern and more versitile.

I did previously wonder about creating a creature from fungus. (Yes, a Quorn Creature) The reason for this is Fungi can "destroy and retrograde" cellular structures, which basically means it can evolve(mutate) a derivative from the original.

In fact if anyone else actually has read "Neuromancer" by William Gibson, they will note that Gibson creates a piece in the world for replacing nerve tissues, in which case a mycosynthetic tissue was used.

(Note:
In Cybernetics, a Myco-electric process is what can be used to control a cybernetic limb, that's acting as a replacement for an amputation.
http://www.biol.tsukuba.ac.jp/~macer/EJ116/ej116c.htm
)

There is a jellyfish that does that. Still, it would be less hassle to just manipulate the humans themselves. Better yet, make replacements.

Why biologics?

We could surely be able to incorporate some sort of nano-scale solarcells into our skin. One day, that is :cool:

nanotech

all I hear about is nanotechnology being able to do so much with humans in the future...is for real or is it a far, far possibilty? Tiny solar cells in our skin that make energy that we can use sounds too much like wishful thinking. Could it happen?

why not?
if not in 100 years then in 500 years
we are only limited by our imagination and laws of physics
don't see why we couldn't integrate solar-cells into our body.
We've just integrated artificial eye for the blind people (yeah I know- black and white and bad quality, but look what quality had the first tv's)--

I'm optimistic when I look at our past about our future of science

Do you think there will be a point where we have to slow down? Obviously some countries in Asia and Africa are nowhere near today's "standard" technology. If you alter a country's population yet leave the rest of the world "normal" it leaves a humongous gap in cultures around the world. Such large differences in culture and way of life brings problems. Differences lead to arguements, arguements to violence (verbal, psycological), and that can lead to war.

Until recently cultures couldn't handle anything but what they are.

1) America in the 1960s, finally there is some equality of people and cultures.
2) Germany, WW2....Hitler wanted one type of people.
3) Bosnia, 1996...ethnic cleansing.
4) Afgahnistan, soon Iraq, today....America, to keep its values and culture from deteriorating it must cleanse certain cultures (for good or for worse...however you see it)
There are others but that's enought to make a point.

Will making plant-like humans be the catalyst for another conflict of cultures?

That's a morality issue, not an "if it's possible" deal.

An artificial eye! FOR BLIND PEOPLE! that's amazing, even in this day and age. wow. I wouldn't want to be living when can alter our bodies such as putting solar cells on ourselves. Even as amazing as that would be.

An artificial eye! FOR BLIND PEOPLE!
well- sor of- It's video camera which is attached to ones body (head) and connected dirrectly with electrodes to the brain of the patient. It converts video signals into electrical signals our eye uses and send picture directly in ones brain.
People see all in black and white shapes only now, but that's enough not to get hit down by a car and much progress is awaited

Do you think there will be a point where we have to slow down?
slow down because of others? don't be naive:)
it won't happen.
1st- we don't care much what opther people think
2nd progrss wouldn't stop because some government tells and it won't, because technological advancement gives power - we all want power

If you alter a country's population yet leave the rest of the world "normal" it leaves a humongous gap in cultures around the world. Such large differences in culture and way of life brings problems

dude- when Egyptians had already built pyramids, greeks were living in caves, when romans were barbars, greeks had advanced culture, when romans had a modern country , brits......

see where I'm going...

Will making plant-like humans be the catalyst for another conflict of cultures?
I was talking more if it were technologically/theoretically possible
I don't think we would make ourselves plants ever- easyer to eat two chocolates to gain that additional boost of energy,
but solar cells is not bad at all:cool: but I don't see much of a practical use for it

Well, back in history people didn't know much about the world other than what was out of their village.
I see what you're saying though. Even if conflicts occur, the world will still go on.

To be able to give a blind person an image of the real world is still a great achievement. too bad we were 2000 years after JC :D just kidding :p

Seriously though, it would be cool to see green people walking around ahhhhh I'm imagining it right now!

With all this cloning and genetical engeneering , would it be possible we make humans or some other living creatures create useful nutriments by inserting chlorophil (sp) into their cells?

..erm, i don't think so, Tonto.....

it seems to highly implausible that they will be able to genetically engineer chlorophyll saturated with red-blood cells. plain ol' chlorophyll ain't gonna keep our hearts a-pumpin'. nope. :D

Actually.. if we stay with the biological idea of plant cells..

It might not be that hard. I mean, hard yes, very h ard, but not impossible. Just have some specialized cells containing chloroplasts (responsible for converting CO2 and H2O to sugars) embedded in the epidermus.

The cells would be made/tweaked to make glucose and nothing else for max efficency. The rest of our cells, organs, and organ systems can burn the glucose for fuel.

I think there are some single-celled organisms with both plant and animal cell characteristics.. Euglena i think it's called.

:cool:

I'm not a sci-fi author:rolleyes:
I remember two films about tht- one was about Godzilla where one scientist put a "spirit" of his dead daughter into a rose, next is about that small shop where was that meat eating lant, but I don't think it was part-human. (was it called- "The Little Horror Shop?")

Anyways if you say so then there probably must be other movies/books

"The little shop of horrors". Funny musical.

Carnivorous plants don't really have any animal cells in them, they just secrete some acids and digestive enzymes where insects will be lured to and digested. They only do this because the soil/habitat where they live has little nitrogen available for them.

I'm trying to think of a book that deals very directly with human plants...a short story comes to mind.

It's called: "The Gardens of Saturn" by Paul J. McAuley

It's a very good short story. A pilot has to take some cargo to the house where an ex-scientist lives, on a moon of saturn. The scientist is responsible for designing organisms that can live in the vacuum of space. Anyway, he gets there, finds the woman and a bunch of cloned copies of her on the planet. They're all plant-type creatures, the mother IS the moon, and its a collective consciousness. That is, all their minds are connected as one.

It's worth a read. The short story is in a book i have, entitled "Supermen: Tales of the Post-human Future", a collection of short stories.

Hoped this helps a little

Could we alter chlorophil to be more efficent or use a different spectrum of light? Make "black" chlorophil?

Back