If god is all powerful...?

Paradox_VII

Registered Member
If God is all powerfill and is able to create anything and everything; could He create a rock too heavy for even Him to lift?

Paradox,

Welcome to sciforums! And uh you just created a paradox with that question... sorta.

could He create a rock too heavy for even Him to lift?

1. god is not a him, it could be anything.

2. Why would God even try to lift it? Wouldnt God just float it? Im sure though, that God could lift anything and do anything.

If God wanted a rock that he/she couldnt lift then God would just make a rock and attempt to lift it, but fail to lift it on purpose.

-CounslerCoffee

One possible solution to this problem is to assert that God is not bound to follow the rules of human logic. Therefore, he could create a rock he couldn't lift and <b>at the same time</b> still be able to lift it.

One possible solution to this problem is to assert that God is not bound to follow the rules of human logic. Therefore, he could create a rock he couldn't lift and at the same time still be able to lift it.

Er... Isnt that what I just said? Okay, yeah it is. You just said it better.

-CounslerCoffee

If the god in question is perfect, infallible, omnipotent... can it make a mistake?

Could God create a rock/stone too heavy for even Him to lift?

I would say - Yes. A heart of stone. ;)

What happens when an immovable
object meets an irresistible force?

Peace -- Call me stupid, but I don't quite follow your meaning about "a heart of stone". Are you saying that God has a heart of stone towards mankind or am I totally off base with that? -- Peace

Are you saying that God has a heart of stone towards
mankind or am I totally off base with that?
No - not off base you just have the way I meant it switched around.
In the bible 1 Peter 2:5 refers to us as living stones (see below).
What I meant was a person who has a "heart of stone" might not
be uplifted by the inspiration/word/spirit/whatever of God. He can't
move it if he can't touch it, so to speak.

"...you also, like living stones, are being built
into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood,
offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God
through Jesus Christ."

I hope that made it clearer? :)

Thanks for the clarification

Originally posted by EvilPoet
No - not off base you just have the way I meant it switched around.
In the bible 1 Peter 2:5 refers to us as living stones (see below).
What I meant was a person who has a "heart of stone" might not
be uplifted by the inspiration/word/spirit/whatever of God. He can't
move it if he can't touch it, so to speak.

"...you also, like living stones, are being built
into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood,
offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God
through Jesus Christ."

Peace -- That was very cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I do agree that mankind have hearts of stone and that because of our free will God cannot move us if we don't want him to. I think also that said "heart of stone" can only be broken by the grace of God. Thank you for clearing that up. -- Peace

Originally posted by Adam
If the god in question is perfect, infallible, omnipotent... can it make a mistake?

I'm sure theists would come up with some convoluted logic to come up with an answer to that one.

I will first make a preface to a few hardcore atheists who might attack me.

I am not a theist, I am only debating against the argument that says that this creates a paradox which hurts the "god theory", because I believe it is flawed.

I think Aquinas answered this argument. Since I cannot recall the exact argument I will use a few sources other than him.

You can string a number of words into a syntactically valid question, but that does not mean that the argument is valid. It is based on a logically impossiblilty. "Could god create a being that has not been created?"

Circular rectangles and such are logical impossibilities, and to think that an all-powerful being is not omnipotent because he cannot create one is to be self-contradicting.

To use logic to disprove something, and then give an example that defies logic itself is not that good. It would be much safer to give examples that work within logic, and there are plenty of those.

- Phaedrus

Yes, the issue seems to have more to do with the inadequacies of our language rather than a real paradox.

Well then, Cris, why not explain it in Tongues?

"Abaldasdalkrwe asdljfwerapoiasdf asdfalweroasdfewd aljkweariosdf lkaweriuoasdflkhwaer opiuasdfkljwaerioasdflhkwaeroupi asdflkwjearoiulsdfoiwaerjklsaoifalh poaiwerouidsapofouipasdflkhwaeruopioip asdlhfweaiurepoiuoiuppasflawkheruioppfuoiuoiapsdfpuoipuoipoiwearlhklkwerpoipoiuwaregtopi poaowieruipoztghwaeruoioiopisafdopiuweopurapopaotiupewaroiupdasdpfoiu wearopiuaopiweripoatiopaw eroupiawerpioawerpoiuiopuowerjhsdfaljkbpoiaweropiczxvlkjasdrfjl kwaerpoiouasfdiucvoaerwoiupassdfioxzvkjlasdfouiawero iaioweaor sadfkjweriu asdhjweri asdjkweroi jhlasdfiewiuewr asdfuiweroiasdfkl hwaerouiasdfjkawer oiuasdf jhaweroiuasdflkh weroiuasdfjhwarkasdf papowar asdfoiowpearpoasdfpoiwahkerkhasdf awerllkashdfowqioaweropqweroiuasdflkjawerpuio asdlhfhlwaerpoiu asdflhjwariouppoiuasfjhlawrepouafsd pouiqeiuoaweruipoasdf poiawrepuiawerpoiuwarwe"

--Therweidkfasllisadfjhweropiusdaf Wearupoasdfiowqerjhasdofiupaweropiuasdfoipu Wapouisdfopiuwarehsalfpoiasfd Sfdahkaweroiasdfuoipaouoipasdfpuoiawer, aka God

So... I guess that clears things up?

Almost, but I can spot at least 3 spelling errors.:)

Very good

Originally posted by Phaedrus
I will first make a preface to a few hardcore atheists who might attack me.

I am not a theist, I am only debating against the argument that says that this creates a paradox which hurts the "god theory", because I believe it is flawed.

I think Aquinas answered this argument. Since I cannot recall the exact argument I will use a few sources other than him.

You can string a number of words into a syntactically valid question, but that does not mean that the argument is valid. It is based on a logically impossiblilty. "Could god create a being that has not been created?"

Circular rectangles and such are logical impossibilities, and to think that an all-powerful being is not omnipotent because he cannot create one is to be self-contradicting.

To use logic to disprove something, and then give an example that defies logic itself is not that good. It would be much safer to give examples that work within logic, and there are plenty of those.

- Phaedrus

Peace -- Thank you Phaedrus; I was waiting for some one to give me the right answer to this question and you nailed it!
To clear up my position though, I was not trying to undermine the existence of God or even His unbounded power. I believe in God and all His glory. I meant only to see what kinds of responses I would get form this paradox, in order to understand what kind of "thinking people" are in this forum. Those who believe out of simple unquestioning, blind faith, which, don't get me wrong, is perfectly fine; but makes for poor arguments and proof there of. And please understand, all it takes is faith, but to be able to argue your believes on a forum such as this, one must be able to give reason and/or proof for his or her beliefs. Then are those who believe what they do because of a bit more than blind faith. These people believe what they do because of faith and/or logic; a tool much better to argue with.

Thank you all for you're thoughts and keep them coming. -- Peace

Back