If creationists thought they had it tough before . . .

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
If creationists thought they had it tough peddling their pseudoscience before – well one of their most prized arguments against evolution is quickly coming to an end. In this month’s journal: Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Reed and Markow have published the beginnings of speciation. That is, they are observing a population at the beginning of splitting into two distinct species.

Original Article:
Early events in speciation: Polymorphism for hybrid male sterility in Drosophila

-OR-

BBC commentary
Scientists 'see new species born'

I always thought the existence of dogs was a great enough example of speciation (and therefore evolution). Dogs are a man made thing, and have been so divided over time now that there are 4 distinct groups of dogs that can be genetically identified.
Conversely the only thing we are able to derive from our genes is whether we are male or female- nothing really separates the 'races' of this earth except our cultures and beliefs.

That creationists so quickly shoot the dog argument down says to me that most of them don't understand what they're talking about and that most of them miss the point- answers to the most complex of questions can be disarmingly simple.

It's good that these scientists are undertaking this experiment, but such are the arguments of creationists that I don't think it will really matter. If dogs aren't a definitive argument on speciation then nothing will be.

I know its difficult to pass up any opportunity to bash creationist, but this belongs in Biology and Genetics.

It could belong equally in either forum. It seems Michael has chosen this one, so I don't intend to move it.

Back