i think therefor i'm doing

NightFall

Lazy Hedonist
Valued Senior Member
...A blue robotic arm, guided by an experimental brain implant that “read’’ Hutchinson’s thoughts, grasped the bottle and carried it toward her. By picturing her own immobile right arm and hand moving, she navigated the robot arm to the right position, tipped the bottle toward her lips, and took a long, satisfied sip through a straw.

<i>http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/05/17/braingate_implant_translates_brain_signals_into_movement_in_patients_paralyzed_by_stroke/</i>

I can't help but wonder if this technology is limited only to movements that mimic the human body, or could we in a sense become, with the help of a tiny chip in our brain, a human bluetooth able to control other foreign devices not created as a replica of familiar human form?

Brain–computer interface

Electronic neural networks have been deployed which shift the learning phase from the user to the computer. Experiments by scientists at the Fraunhofer Society in 2004 using neural networks led to noticeable improvements within 30 minutes of training.[37]

Experiments by Eduardo Miranda, at the University of Plymouth in the UK, has aimed to use EEG recordings of mental activity associated with music to allow the disabled to express themselves musically through an encephalophone.[38] Ramaswamy Palaniappan has pioneered the development of BCI for use in biometrics to identify/authenticate a person.[39] The BCI group at University of Essex has also developed analogue cursor control using thoughts.[40]

The Emotiv company has been selling a commercial video game controller, known as The Epoc, since December 2009. The Epoc uses electromagnetic sensors.[41][42]

The first BCI session with 100% accuracy (based on 80 right hand and 80 left hand movement imaginations) was recorded in 1998 by Christoph Guger. The BCI system used 27 electrodes overlaying the sensorimotor cortex, weighted the electrodes with Common Spatial Patterns, calculated the running variance and used a linear discriminant analysis.[43]

Research is ongoing into military use of BCIs and since the 1970s DARPA has been funding research on this topic.[1][2] The current focus of research is user-to-user communication through analysis of neural signals.[44] The project "Silent Talk" aims to detect and analyze the word-specific neural signals, using EEG, which occur before speech is vocalized, and to see if the patterns are generalizable

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...87XRDw&usg=AFQjCNGwQBEk6p9JcWjDvy7Mj-wmCxBygg

Back