Hypothetical Situation: Westboro Baptist Church

Thoreau

Valued Senior Member
With the constant media spotlight, and their abnoxiously annoying picketing at funerals, one question has been bugging me.

Now, it is my belief, that sooner or later, due to the hatred that the WBC spreads and the number of people they piss off, some mentally unstable person is going to snap and make things go boom, if you know what I mean.

If someone did such a thing as to attempt or commit the murder of a WBC member (or any other hate group) (WHICH I DO NOT CONDONE!!!), do you think that the judge and jury would have mercy on the murderer?

AGAIN, FOR CLARIFICATION, I DO NOT SUPPORT THE INJURY OR MURDER OF ANYONE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR THEOLOGY OR METHODOLOGY!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, TAKE THIS AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION AND INQUIRY!!! I DO NOT PLAN, NOR WILL I EVER, TO COMMIT SUCH A CRIME NOR DO I SUPPORT OR RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE ELSE DOES!

Hopefully they get the same justice as anyone else would.

Even in cases where for example, a woman was getting abused by her husband and feared for her life, if she somehow plotted and killed him, I'd expect her to pay for the crime based on current laws, even though he probably had it coming to him.

It's much like the freedom of speech, which relates back to Westboro and their activities...you can't have a gray area when it comes to expressing oneself, or when it comes to fair justice. The statue of Justice has a blindfold for a reason...

And I don't think anyone should ever try to use violence against such people as Westboro. They get enough attention already, and having someone act against them physically will only help their cause...you know they'd use the victim/martyr card for everything it's worth.

No. They are obeying the law.

Hopefully they get the same justice as anyone else would.

Even in cases where for example, a woman was getting abused by her husband and feared for her life, if she somehow plotted and killed him, I'd expect her to pay for the crime based on current laws, even though he probably had it coming to him.

It's much like the freedom of speech, which relates back to Westboro and their activities...you can't have a gray area when it comes to expressing oneself, or when it comes to fair justice. The statue of Justice has a blindfold for a reason...

And I don't think anyone should ever try to use violence against such people as Westboro. They get enough attention already, and having someone act against them physically will only help their cause...you know they'd use the victim/martyr card for everything it's worth.

It all comes down to that fine line where "freedom of speech" (legal) turns in to "hate speech" (illegal). Legally, I think that for the most part they are obeying the law. However, this this not a question of the law. This a question of ethics and morality.

Would the people and judge allow thier biases with the church (or hate group) affect their judgement and rulings?

Would the people and judge allow thier biases with the church (or hate group) affect their judgement and rulings?

A) The Judge is supposed to be intelligent.
B) Those jury members (if that is what you mean) are supposed to be weeded out to those who can view the facts based on their merit.

do you think that the judge and jury would have mercy on the murderer?

Why would they? If a person murders someone in cold blood just because of what they say do you think anyone would "have mercy" upon them? I would think that any jury or judge would find anyone guilty of the murder itself but could ask for a life sentence rather than the death penalty if they so thought it was necessary due to "extenuating circumstances". In this scenario you gave I'd think not.

Why would they? If a person murders someone in cold blood just because of what they say do you think anyone would "have mercy" upon them? I would think that any jury or judge would find anyone guilty of the murder itself but could ask for a life sentence rather than the death penalty if they so thought it was necessary due to "extenuating circumstances". In this scenario you gave I'd think not.

Here's a more precise example:

A father loses is son, who served and died in Afghanistan. The WBC pickets the funeral. Due to the lack of protection and laws protecting the funeral, the WBC is able to come within a few feet of the service. They drown out, via shouting and singing, the preacher and others attending the service. The funeral is obviously unable to proceed accordingly. The father, angered and distraught by the events, snaps and attacks members of the WBC.

Regardless of whether the outcome is murder or simply injury, should the jury sympathize with the father and lower the punishment?

Regardless of whether the outcome is murder or simply injury, should the jury sympathize with the father and lower the punishment?

I think this is actually a formal legal question of what the father would be charged with - assault or aggravated assault and so on; whether it is premeditated murder, manslaughter or anything inbetween.
The law already foresees that there are different degrees of crime.
You'll have to ask a lawyer for an accurate input.

I think this is actually a formal legal question of what the father would be charged with - assault or aggravated assault and so on; whether it is premeditated murder, manslaughter or anything inbetween.
The law already foresees that there are different degrees of crime.
You'll have to ask a lawyer for an accurate input.

Interesting. Thanks.

(I think you're following me BTW lol). Not that I particularly care. You're a good conversationalist with some good insight on occassion. :)

Right they would have had to promote some immediate illegal action, which I think goes beyond simple hate speech.

Back