Hymen , but why ?

Sky

Registered Senior Member
I ve had this conversation with a friend , some girls a born without it , but what is surprising is some animals have hymens , looking online i could not get specific info , but as i read horses and whales have hymen

What do u think the reason humans have it ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove off-topic comment.

Its to do with protecting the body from diseases or infection if i recall correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work in gynacology. Female's plumbing looks great , feels great, tastes great, but boy does it go wrong alot. So the hymen is there as Lemming stated. Its to stop infection before a female reaches puberty, a sort of risk management if you like. Not that the real reason stops religious nutters insisting that its to prove viginity.

VSlayer

You sort of answer your own question. If it's that easy to break, what does an intact hymen say?

A lack of a hymen doesn't prove sexual activity, and that "college chick deflowers herself" mpg I saw certainly was ... interesting. But, still, if it's that easy to break ....

Sky

I would theorize, off the top of my head no less, that the hymen is vestigial from sex differentiation.

The sketchy example I can give you is to recall a sex-reversal issue described to me about a decade ago in an Intro to Anthropology class. My professor told us briefly of an island in the Caribbean where, theoretically as a result of inbreeding--a phenomenon was taking place whereby young girls would transform into boys as they approached puberty. The general description was, "The vagina seals, the testicles drop ...."

Yeah.

Even with a Y chromosome, one can still develop phenotypically as a female. Active genes and hormone interactions, it seems, make the difference. A guy can actually prod around his genitalia and find the place his vagina would be if there wasn't a penis in the way.

So I'll go so far as to extrapolate that the hymen is somehow related to that difference.

I will also mention that while doing a brief Google search, I came across a link for "laser vaginal rejuvenation surgery". It was one of those "search engine" links, and of no use, but the phrase strikes me as absolutely hilarious.

Like a vir-ir-ir-irgin ... with your heartbeat next to mine ....

Back