Human Tails

There's supposed to be a gene which can be turned on or off for the presence of a tail; by default, it is turned off in the human genome.

I would not have expected this from you, off all people, hampsters have hairless tails.

We do have a small bit of hair on our tails. Also the fact that we are covered with soft fur kind of makes up for a relatively hairless tail. Those human tails just look like pig tails.

It has happened twice before in my life time - last time in China ....

It is true that humans have a latent gene for tails - actually also for heavy body hair - just like monkeys, our closest relatives .....

I think tails are a good idea.
They’re perfect for covering your ass.

In the coming ages, what with all the hermaphrodites and indiscriminate fornicating, it will be the most useful appendage.

Yes, it's in our genome. We lose it in embryonic development. It's an unexpressed phenotype genetic remnant left over from what we used to have. It's not a deformity. It's a regression, so to speak, of our previous genetic makeup.

WOW - good links .....
I would be willing to pay money to see a case of hypertrichosis with a tail ........

Some 50 cases of hypertrichosis since the middle ages - that is almost one every 15 years ....
Paraclete, you know of 3 cases of tails - in how many years ????

I would turn to religion if the priest was a hypertrichosis with a tail, it would be great fun.

Actually I tried to look it it up in some pediatric journals - some 5 cases over 40 years - one tail case every 8 years .........

The hypertrichosis is more common now, due to the higher number of births worldwide,
compared to the middleages - it is probably about one hypertrichosis every 6 years now ....

Still the chance of a case of hypertrichosis with tail is soooooooooooo unlikely -
actually, I would pay to see one too ........ !!!!!!!!!!!!

If at least the human tails were a prehensile like those of some tiny monkeys that would be somewhat cool, or at least useful.

Back