Human Rights: What do you think they mean?

Stryder

Keeper of "good" ideas.
Valued Senior Member
I'm sure there probably is a thread already titled this lurking deep within the depths of long forgotten threads list, however I thought I would start one off again.

Now it's been some years since theUniversal Declaration of Human Rights was drawn up by the United Nations with the goal to try and premote a better respect for our fellow personkind.

The question however is "Do you actually know what they mean?"

My standpoint can be seen as follows: (You don't have to read what I've wrote, but it's my answer to my own question)
=======================================================

I say that generally, but the true scope to that question is deepened when you look at the different countries that still have death sentences, the different military's being trained not just for combat but how to kill (Which usually means undermining what Moral and Ethical judgements are usually made when reasoning why a person shouldn't kill)

So it's not so much the question of "What do you think they mean?" but "What do you think they mean from your perspective? (Your job, your way of life, how you have been treated, how people have interacted with you)"

The next question is those countries that always have the politicians declaring that Human Rights abuse is going on elsewhere in the world, do you think they truly don't do such abuse themselves? (Afterall I mentioned the key apsect of a Military Psyche is that of a trained killer)

The way I perceive it the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is suffering some outdatedness, and should have an Admendment of the Worlds leaders lowering the number of people hired into their military forces, to reduce the number of Human Rights offenders.

I know that people in the military will be quite upset at the apsects of losing their jobs, but the simple understanding is this:
Some people that leave the military do so with a disfunctional state of mind, they cause violent abuse against their spouses and can eventually cause violent crimes to occur because they don't get the support needed to bring them back into a better moral understanding of why the things they did in the military could only be done while in the military.

In fact some of these Ex-regiment types believe that the worst a country can do to them is kill them or put them in prison for anything they do, and since their job originally was placing them on a field of battle where their life could be plucked by a stray bullet at any time, they have come to terms with the potential of dieing far before being caught of a crime.

You might state that it's unfair to just point at the military, but its a known fact that the military takes pride in breaking people to make them more controllable and to cause them to respect their chain of command.

None the less there are other forms of abuse that occur that aren't related to the military. Some people don't have a policy of indifference, therefore when someone speaks about something they disagree with, or they thing is "funny" they resort to attacks of ridiculing. Although this is lesser an offence of beating someone black and blue, it still has repurcussions of mental stability on both the victim of the attack and the aggressor.

The Aggressor begins to generate a psychological view that what they do is tolerated, when in fact it's not.

This can even be said about drug users, that get to the point of spending all their money on their beloved drug but allowing their lives to slip into a depressive recess. When they eventually realise how their life has gone, they either spend the rest of it trying to dig themselves out of the hole that the lack of responsibility over that period of life has dug, or they allow themselves to dig further down with thoughts of "Well my life is that messed up, why should I bother trying to correct it, I give up".

The reason why I mention such drug uses is that they tend to lose track of ethics and moral standings, they conform new rulings based on their way of life which is far different than that of the world around them. They can become aggressors or abusers through their altered moral and ethical state.

I would like to see your thoughts in this area too, so I know that I haven't generated moral standards that others don't appreciate.

So it's not so much the question of "What do you think they mean?" but "What do you think they mean from your perspective? (Your job, your way of life, how you have been treated, how people have interacted with you)"

It is a piece of document made up by our ancestors to prevent future rebellings as they try to grasp the power that this country had to offer. Our rights are not protects, atleast not in the way the decleration of independence said it should. Infact at this point, these rights are still presented to the public as a way to give us the idea that we are free and indepent with the ability to think and share our thoughts on how we can help each other in the future, while, in reality, this is just a document to keep us from changing the government and presenting reforms to the congress to better fit the public. It is a way to keep the public from revolting since it gives us the illusion that our government is by the epople for the people etc etc. This method has worked and many don't even see how much these rights are violated and how oppressed the people really are, for instance, there is no such thing as freedom of speech and few people actually see that.

Stryderunknown said:
The way I perceive it the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is suffering some outdatedness, and should have an Admendment of the Worlds leaders lowering the number of people hired into their military forces, to reduce the number of Human Rights offenders.

I know that people in the military will be quite upset at the apsects of losing their jobs, but the simple understanding is this:
Some people that leave the military do so with a disfunctional state of mind, they cause violent abuse against their spouses and can eventually cause violent crimes to occur because they don't get the support needed to bring them back into a better moral understanding of why the things they did in the military could only be done while in the military.
I think that at the moment, it is perching more to making countries and the individuals who commit human rights abuses more accountable to the world community. At the moment, we have some of the most powerful States with the biggest military's refusing to sign up to the ICC, the body in place to investigate and prosecute individuals who commit human rights violations. Here is a link of the States who have ratified the ICC.

It is not so much that there needs to be a reduction in the amount of military personel to reduce the risk of violations, it's the fact that the ones who are caught should face the full force of the law (both local and international). States who protect their military personel who have been accused and proven to have committed crimes against humanity are just as guilty as the individual who committed the acts. What is needed is for the States to weed out the military personel who have committed crimes against humanity and dismiss them and charge them for it, either locally or hand them over to the ICC. Hopefully this will act as a deterrent for other military personel. But a country will only be taken seriously in regards to human rights if they also do their part in preventing and prosecuting their members for abuses, instead of just pointing the finger at others for their abuses.

* a 'right' is a linguistic invention.
* each person will give you different definitions to 'human rights'
* a person does not have a 'natural G-d-given right'... s/he only has the rights that their gov't, or a person of authority has given him/her
* some of us in the west think that all the rights we have are 'natural' and are a given, and that anyone who does not have them, should.
* the declaration that people should have some rights is worthless unless the declaration is followed by action. not selectively, but everywhere
* reducing military size, is in theory not a bad idea. but it is precisely that military which keeps those human rights alive, for without a strong military there will be nothing stopping "evil people" from coming in and taking those rights away from us.
the military must be strong, but accountable. this will only work if a country is democratic

*the "declaration of human rights" is just a piece of paper. it is either not enforced, or selectively enforced. in fact, it is not enforced, but rather, complied with out of goodwill. developed countries are held to these standards, but developing or 3rd-world countries are not.

* "crimes against humanity" are another recent invention. as you know, the Nurenberg trials were based on charges invented after the offense.
* the winner of a war can trump up any charges and give them a nice sounding name
* who is going to be trying ruthless powerful "criminals against humanity" if those are not caught by a strong army, by the way?

Back