human genome project - complete!

I really hate that phrase "book of life". All the media outlets use it, yet it’s such a meaningless phrase.

now they just have to figure out how it works.

and then of course there's the fact that everyone's genes differ to a point, so that this completed genome map does not portray every person's genes.

its a big step, but it really only starts more than it finishes.

Yes, we have mapped the human genome, and also the genome of a multitude of other species. But we still do not know what every gene is for or what it causes. This is the great challenge of medical science: to find a genetic marker for every defect in people and in other animals. We still have a long way to go.

<B>Warning: Valich crapola alert!</B>
policelights.gif

valich said:
Yes, we have mapped the human genome…
Can you tell us the difference between mapping a genome and sequencing a genome?

valich said:
….a multitude of other species.
A multitude of species, maybe? But humans are vertebrates. How many vertebrate genomes do you think we have mapped? How many vertebrate genomes do you think we have sequenced?

A DNA genome is a mapping or blueprint of all the genes and DNA sequences in a species. If you need to learn more, then why don't you go back to school. With a posting like that above, you definitely have a mental psychiatric problem and should seek help from a qualified psychiatrist. I strongly suggest that you do so.

Although there are thousands of DNA in a nucleus, their are hundreds of thousands of protein sequences that these DNA code for. The interaction of these hundreds of thousands of proteins have yet to be none and are a hot area of research. Do you have the answers? Or just the time for bullshit psychotic fun-and-games pranks? To be so anti-intellectual, you must have a lot of time on your hands to waste. Sorry, but I don't.

valich said:
If you need to learn more, then why don't you go back to school.
I’m a professional university research scientist in the area of genetics. I already know the answers to my questions full well as genetics is my career. In asking them I am attempting to get you to think a bit more about what you post because it is obvious to me and many others that you have a basic knowledge of genetics. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that. I have only a basic knowledge of many areas of science. But your attempts to provide definitive answers in this area need to be qualified which you do not do.

valich said:
To be so anti-intellectual, you must have a lot of time on your hands to waste.
No, in fact I am kept extremely busy performing research on the genetics of CNS development and multiple sclerosis. What do you do, Valich?

valich said:
Sorry, but I don't.
I can imagine, it must take up a lot of your time to spam so many threads with so much material. :bugeye:

valich said:
With a posting like that above, you definitely have a mental psychiatric problem and should seek help from a qualified psychiatrist.
:rolleyes:
Oh my, the sad sad irony. This coming from someone who is so desperate to appear as an expert in numerous areas of science that you spam dozens of threads with your cut&paste musings. Let's make a double appoitment, you and me both.

Seeing as you seem to be able to diagnose through internet forums, I’ll add psychiatry to your ever growing list of areas of expertise. I take that it medicine is one of your 5 degrees?

But enough of this, let’s get down to brass tacks....

You obviously don’t have enough genetics knowledge to know that the term “mapped” and “to map a genome” has a variety of very specific meanings in genetics. The phrases “to map” and “to sequence” are not the same thing. The human genome was “mapped” way back in 1996. So when you said....

Yes, we have mapped the human genome…
....you weren’t incorrect, per se, but you used the incorrect term for the meaning you were trying to convey. You didn’t realize this, of course, because your knowledge of genetics is limited. What you meant to say (should have said) is that scientists have completed “sequencing the human genome”.

So when I asked you these questions…

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Can you tell us the difference between mapping a genome and sequencing a genome? How many vertebrate genomes do you think we have mapped? How many vertebrate genomes do you think we have sequenced?
....I was attempting to get you to think a little bit about the meaning of your terminology. Scientists have mapped more genomes than they have sequenced. You have said that you are all about “life long learning” (or similar pithy catchphrase) so if you want an education on the precise meaning of these terms then perhaps you should go back to school.

Back