Human embryonic stem cells

spuriousmonkey

Banned
Banned
So I was in this meeting about 2 weeks ago on dental research. Interestingly they had invited an expert on human embryonic stem cells to give a lecture. It most most interesting. I will try to convey some of the points he was conveying.

The creation of human embryonic stem (HES) cell lines is highly problematic.
- one problem is that they are dependent on human fertilized eggs to grow blastocysts. The inner cell mass is used to make the HES cell line. It is not easy to get fertilized eggs. In the UK you can't make fertilized eggs just for the purpose of making HES lines.
- Another problem is the success rate. Having successfully grown a blastocyst and isolated the inner cell mass (which are all not easy steps) the cells need to be cultured. That is difficult. They hardly ever do. He told a story that they once finally had isolated an inner cell mass of which the cells started to grow in vitro. Then you need to multiply the cells. They did it by letting the mass grow bigger and cutting it in 4 pieces. Each piece was put in a new dish and grown more. They did this a few times and then all cultures got contaminated. They lost it all. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but they had to wait for next succesful growth of an inner cell mass for another FULL YEAR!
- HES cells differentiate easily. He said they will start differentiating already if you give them a wrong look. You don't want to differentiate them prematurely, because you need to grow them in large quantities if you want to use them in therapy.
- HES cells can be induced to differentiate easily (which is an requirement if you want to used them in a controlled manner for regeneration therapy), BUT they never differentiate the same twice under the same conditions.
- HES cells are currently grown on feeder cell layers as are mouse embronic stem cells. The problem is that the feeder layer is made up of mouse fibroblasts. You cannot use the human stem cells for regeneration therapy if you grow them on mouse cells, or use any other products which have animal origin. That is a major problem because we don't know how yet.
- You would need to grow stem cells in bulk on an industrial scale. Unfortunately we are nowhere near. Not even close. The scaling up is a bigger problem than just using bigger tubes, because HES cells are so delicate and differentiate or die so easily.

maybe more later

Hell. No one's replied to this? I was going to but forgot. Glad I remembered. Go on, Spurious. Spread the wealth. I believe that I've picked up from somewhere that stem cells are your field, correct? Why were you at a dentist convention? Why was a stem cell speaker speaking at a dentist convention?

But, please go on about stem cells.

invert_nexus said:
Why were you at a dentist convention?

Because there are stem cells in teeth too?
here is an article on stem cells in teeth...done by me

Why was a stem cell speaker speaking at a dentist convention?

Because he was invited.

The real reason of course he was invited was because it is a hot topic nowadays to do some tissue engineering with teeth.
There were several talks on this topic too. What they basically did was to talk stem cells (mesenchymal) ones. Make them aggregate and then combine these with oral epithelium of an early stage embryo that will normally give rise to a tooth.
I might have to add here that a tooth is one of those organs that consists of two germlayers, epithelium and mesenchyme. The tooth as an organ develops into his later morphology because of molecular signalling going one between these two layers. And the instructive capacity to make a tooth switched between the two layers. So in the beginning all the information to make a tooth is in the epithelium. Then there is signalling between epithelium and mesenchyme. Then the instructive capacity switches to the mesenchyme.

So if you then isolate this oral epithelium at a young stage. Put it in a petridish. Add an aggregation of mesenchymal stem cells. The epithelium will then instruct the mesenchyme. It will turn into dental mesenchyme. You then put this 'explant' back into a mouse because it is difficult to grow anything in vitro for a long time. Usually they use the kidney capsule. They place it then between the kidney and the membrane surrounding the kidney, which allows the tooth to grow naturally.

You end up with a rather normal looking tooth.

You know, now that you mention it, I think I've heard of that before. Not in the detail which you have put it forth, but still.

What, exactly, is done with these teeth? Dentures? I imagine that it's extremely costly, eh? And would seem to be a waste of stem cells when they are so precious and hard to produce anyway.

Would these teeth be alive? With nerve endings and such? Could they be implanted in someone's jaw and function exactly as a regular tooth?

invert_nexus said:
Would these teeth be alive? With nerve endings and such? Could they be implanted in someone's jaw and function exactly as a regular tooth?

That is kind of a problem. As I mentioned before so far they used for instance the epithelium of an embryonic tooth to instruct the mesenchymal stem cells to switch to a proper fate, so that together they can make a real tooth.

But where are you going to get embryonic dental epithelium from?

You would need to make a tooth from just stem cells. But where is then the information to make a proper tooth?

Kind of a big hurdle, although there are these cancer growths known as teratomas. These can actually grow spontaneously all kinds of epithelial-mesenchymal organs. Also teeth!

here is a picture

http://home.earthlink.net/~radiologist/tf/040802a.jpg

or in this PDF they found 8 teeth

http://www.sma.org/smj2001/maysmj01/cavenaile.pdf

these teeth usually look rather good.

So somehow in these cancers there are proper instructions to make new teeth. But how and why? Who knows????

Back