How Yoga can Wreck Your Body

Ivan Seeking

Registered Senior Member
This was in the news and caught my attention. I wasn't sure about the best forum for this.

...But a growing body of medical evidence supports Black’s contention that, for many people, a number of commonly taught yoga poses are inherently risky. The first reports of yoga injuries appeared decades ago, published in some of the world’s most respected journals — among them, Neurology, The British Medical Journal and The Journal of the American Medical Association. The problems ranged from relatively mild injuries to permanent disabilities. In one case, a male college student, after more than a year of doing yoga, decided to intensify his practice. He would sit upright on his heels in a kneeling position known as vajrasana for hours a day, chanting for world peace. Soon he was experiencing difficulty walking, running and climbing stairs.

Doctors traced the problem to an unresponsive nerve, a peripheral branch of the sciatic, which runs from the lower spine through the buttocks and down the legs. Sitting in vajrasana deprived the branch that runs below the knee of oxygen, deadening the nerve. Once the student gave up the pose, he improved rapidly. Clinicians recorded a number of similar cases and the condition even got its own name: “yoga foot drop.”...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all

However, that is just one extreme example. Apparently there is a range of practices that can lead to injuries.

Agreed. But again that's true for anything - jogging, biking, swimming, stretching. But the drawbacks of NOT exercising are worse.

I noted this paragraph from some news coverage of the topic. I would assume the relative percentages hold true for other countries as well.

Between 2000 and 2010, 84 people were admitted to Victorian [Australia] emergency departments for yoga-related injuries, according to the Monash Research Institute. The most frequent injuries were sprains or strains (51 per cent), fractures (13 per cent), injury to muscle or tendon (12 per cent) and dislocation (11 per cent). Knees and shoulders were the most frequently affected areas. ''Yoga has a very much lower rate of hospital-treated injury than the other popular sports,'' said Erin Cassell, director of the Victorian Injury Surveillance Unit at Monash University.
http://www.theage.com.au/action/printArticle?id=2906144

my emphasis added

As a physical activity yoga is always going to produce some adverse effects just as any other physical activity does. Putting those adverse effects into a logical perspective is the key to deciding whether to undertake the activity.

Life is a risk-benefit analysis.

As a physical activity yoga is always going to produce some adverse effects just as any other physical activity does. Putting those adverse effects into a logical perspective is the key to deciding whether to undertake the activity.

Life is a risk-benefit analysis.

Some of the reporting that I saw suggested that proper instruction can be key. At least that is the view of some yoga instructors. Apparently the do-it-yourself approach, and perhaps unqualified instructors, are part of the problem.

Last edited:
Some of the reporting that I saw suggested that proper instruction can be key. At least that is the view of some yoga instructors. Apparently the do-it-yourself approach, and perhaps unqualified instructors, are part of the problem.

Isn't this obvious?

Back