How would the World be without Religion?

Agent51

Registered Member
It is sad to say that Religion brings war, and I really Im sad about that because Religion is a bug part in life people should always keep in mind, but when it goes bad its just depressing.
Israelis and Palestinians are killing each other by the hundreds in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. Hindus and Muslims are slaughtering each other in India, herding neighbors into house or trains then setting them afire. Catholics and Protestants continue to kill each other in Northern Ireland. Sunnis and Shias have their arms wrapped around each other's throats throughout the Islamic world. And of course, on Sept. 11, 19 Muslims were so determined to murder helpless Christians and Jews that they were willing to die to shed the blood of other religions.

Not a terribly good reflection on faith, is it? If religion makes people want to murder each other, maybe religion is bad for the world.

Religion has certainly been bad for history. In recent decades alone, Hindus and Sikhs have been slaughtering each other, blowing up airliners and firing artillery shells into temples. In the fighting over Sri Lanka, Tamil Hindus have fired machine guns at school buses full of Sinhalese Buddhist children, and the Buddhists in turn have firebombed Hindu schools. Thousands of Chinese grew up as orphans because their Buddhist parents were murdered during World War II at the urging of Shinto priests.

Looking further back, huge numbers of Eastern Orthodox Armenians were murdered by Muslims at the turn of the century. Much of Europe's history has been a nightmare of Christian-on-Christian killing, including the 30 Years' War, in which an estimated 7.5 million people--one-third of the European population at the time--died owing to Catholic-versus-Protestant slaughter. England's history is full of Protestants murdering Catholics; France's history is full of Catholics murdering Protestants; Spain's history is full of Christians murdering Jews. Pretty much all of Europe is to blame for the Crusades, in which Christians murdered Muslims. This inventory could go on at considerable length. King Olaf Tryggvason's declaration from about the year 1000--"all Norway will be Christian or die!"--sums it up.

So is faith bad? The fact that religions preach love, but often generate violence, cannot be dismissed as a minor imperfection.
What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that you have another agenda here. That could just be my paranoia showing.
Otherwise...
YAWN

War and killing are part of human nature. I can't fully prove this, it's just a theory. But a theory with large amount of evidence. First of all we can all acknowledge the evolutionary factors that make man violent. Second, there has yet to be a time in our history where extended peace happened.

So I think the more interseting question would be; in the IMPOSSIBLE situation that religion did not exist.....what would take it's place as a reason for killing?

Just because you erase the means does not mean you erase the ends. Humans will always find another means, it just may not cause as much killing as religion does.

All major religions were created in ancient times when real knowledge of the universe was unknown.

Man has an insatiable curiosity and is usually unsatisfied with the answer ‘unknown’. He tends to insist on some form of a positive answer even if it is speculation.

The more imaginative types invented many explanations for why things happen and these speculations formed the basis for the religions we see today.

All major religions are based on fantasy speculations from a time when ignorance of the universe was widespread. People simply didn’t have answers but needed something to satisfy their curiosity. And if some answers made them feel happy then that seemed quite acceptable.

For example the answer and popular myth that when you die you go to a paradise, is a wonderful morale booster for those whose life in ancient times was pretty miserable, and when life expectancy rarely exceeded 25.

When these archaic institutions based on ancient fantasies try to survive in a modern scientific world there is bound to be conflict.

The only real solution is to educate those who still believe in the ancient myths and move them forward into a world based on reason and sanity.

As science increases our knowledge of the universe then the place for superstitions and ignorance diminishes. Religions are slowly dying except perhaps for Islam whose peoples still live in environments more typical of 1000 years ago. An enormous effort should be made to re-educate these largely ignorant and indoctrinated peoples.

A world without religion implies that everyone has learnt to think rationally and that means no more wars, since wars are illogical.

Cris

Oddless godless?

An interesting question: How would the world be without religion?

In general

I think that the primary result of the extinction of religion would be a localizing of greeds. That is, greed, desire born through comparison to another, would lose its abstract edge and become a hardwired part of the logical structure.

They say politics makes strange bedfellows, and it's true. Down the left aisle in the United States, we have abstract and myopic compassion; down the right aisle we have abstract and myopic greed. In reality, neither concept in purity suffices. Human nature dictates against purity. Nonetheless, each side tries to outdo the other at the other's game. Hence, on the liberal left in this country you have the ACLU pushing on behalf of the KKK and "pro-life" Christians advocating the death penalty. In either case, each side insists that it is right and takes their case all the way to the abstract paradigm--e.g. God--in search of justification.

Within the religious justifications there seems to be a theme of dominion. In the plainest cases I hold with the liberalizing, and that should be pointed out up front. Nonetheless, an examination of this theme of dominion proves interesting. In Oregon, religious folk do battle with the non-religious over whether gays should be allowed to participate in society. Clinging to a chance at victory, the left raises the liberal religious folk who have discarded the specific symbols of faith and appeal to the evangelical message of the religious right--love and justice. In such cases, if I cling to the left it's because more people are free the way I do it. I mean, I well understand that one feels as if they cannot hate another, but the simple fact is that you can feel what you want, and enacting that sentiment is subject to laws.

I think a lot of this kind of the dominion fight will go away when we purge society of religions. Without God, there is no notion that God commands. But will this do away with the other themes of dominion over which the political spectrum dances? Will an absence of God also reduce currency to its proper function in assistance of the human endeavor? What will temper lucre against its assumption that currency is the purpose of the human endeavor? Will an absence of God mean people will finally get their heads out and cough up for the schools the way they will any half-brained development plan with a result you can mark in a financial ledger?

The current issue of Rolling Stone has an article on the Drug War, in which a guy named Dave Becker, expressing anger on behalf of US policy, reminds a Colombian farmer that, "You have no right to complain." A glance at Plan Colombia shows that the US's participation has little to do with assisting the farmers in making a choice to not grow coca and more to do with establishing a technical and military presence in South America. Results? A growing resentment against the US, legtitimate (non-coca) crops being destroyed by US-paid mercenaries, chemical spraying of fields, schools, crops, churches, ad nauseam ... And apparently the locals have no right to complain because they would not sign a paper declaration of allegiance to the United States government (we can't even make our own people do that). Plan Colombia is a known failure, but how will an absence of God reduce this kind of idiocy?

Will an absence of God mean an absence of violence in the world's poorest quarters? Or does that absence of God also come with an absence of poverty, inequity, injustice, and otherwise?

In the case of Islamic fundamentalists, are we really going to pretend that an extinction of God will solve the problems which compel people to claim God as their ally and go to war? Or will they find some other superstition (e.g patriotism) to wave as their colors?

To consider the world without religion doesn't create a happy picture at all. People will still be driven by their fears of the unknown, and as we've seen in the US, that fear can manifest itself in the form of racism, nationalism, even the silly high-school rivalry that everyone chuckles at until Billy gets killed speeding away with the other team's enraged mascot in the back of his dad's Caravan.

To look at the situation with no transition from slave to godless, that is, to consider the situation in terms of a natural condition whereby superstition never took religious form, we still have a number of divisions to undertake. The subjectivity of diversity, for instance. Is the only way around this problem to eliminate diversity?

The point being that people will always find their reasons to disagree.

I admit that religions are generally muddying factors when it comes to resolving human conflict, but no amount of moral stricture from any religion has created a godly society. And where religious folk would point to Communism as an atheist failure, no matter how erroneous such approaches are, there lies within them a kernel of cold truth. The objective considerations being made, the obstacle between progress and the present was _____ (fill in a victim). One cannot say that our "godless" attempts at the social order have been any less prone to subjectivity, and thus that they are any less prone to screwing up.

Can any amount of objective education, any tidal wave of information actually change the human habit to render complex issues into abstract representations? That is, can a godless world prevent people from inventing concepts and abstractions that eventually become anthropomorphized and deified? There is a certain philosophical consideration of purpose which infects everyone from time to time. "God" is an ad-hoc proposition as we seek an actual solution, regardless of what the believers believe.

Religion is a comfort against a certain insecurity that comes from broader ideas. Why are we here? (Some say it doesn't matter.) What is justice? What is right or wrong? Is she faking the orgasm?

How, except for actually answering such questions, do we prevent such issues from arising?

Odd World

Would it be enough, then, if everything were utilitarian? That is, even our luxuries take the form of necessity? What is this world that people presently strive toward? What will it look like when we get there?

From religion, I'm seeing a paring down of intangible factors until the only acceptable intangible is the intangible superstition of "the mainstream". It is hardly bitterness or simple attrition bringing about such a reduction, but necessity. From the myth of acting based on what God wants we have the next-largest idea, proposed for the sake of argument to be the idea of State and Identity. That is, after being a Christian, atheist, witch, Buddhist, you-name-it, one becomes an American, a Canadian, a Briton, Japanese, Mexican, German, Australian ....

People act on these myths, too. Would a godless world vilify these myths? What of the difference 'twixt man and woman? Skin color? Eye shape? Really--how can you shake society out of its thing about subtleties like eyes and skin?

Maybe in an MTV, Britney-infected, commercial world such objectivity as would be required to shake such myths seems attractive. But what of the expressive and artistic endeavors? What happens when the associations that make you enjoy a song are reduced to myth?

And what could drive such a reduction? Greed? The want of dominion and wealth in lack of any other goals? To what does the human endeavor subscribe? Is the unique self-awareness that is integral to human nature somehow allow us to step out of nature on that count? To decide that such awareness is not an evolutionary tool of the living endeavor but is, instead, the purpose for existence?

And here I'll tip my authorly hand ... one of the larger components of the project that is slowly infecting every aspect of my creative life is the possibility of an exploratory narrative theorizing on what happens when you put a primitive people in charge of space-age technology with little or no "civilized" restraint. Admittedly, I'm optimistic in the confines of my own project--I have to be in order for the tie-in to exist. But in the larger question, when we get down to a lack of myth, what establishes decency, right and wrong, or any other such notion? Will the death of gods really prevent human beings from finding subjective reasons to posit as truth and exploiting others?

Myths in danger:

• Equal rights/protection under the law
• Pursuit of happiness (caprice and aspiration)
• Associations of expression
• State
• Individuality
• Self-determination

(And that's the short list.)

In theory, I admit, a godless world sounds preferable. But the practical nature of bringing it about, and of human nature in the face of such an odd existence, speaks volumes against it. The image it creates is well enough if we stop at a certain degree, but there is no objective precedent of human will or capability to start and stop en masse.

See, I'm willing to bet that in the space of two or three carelessly-placed phrases, I could indoctrinate a child into the "church" of "Lady Liberty" (e.g. the Statue of Liberty and the "America" she represents).

And at some point, in this theoretically-godless world, we will have rid ourselves of those who would consciously twist the minds and morals of the individual, but what of those who accidentally taint the objective world? What of those who are too stupid to understand that partisan compliance is a myth in and of itself?

So, what would it be?

I'd say it would be an extremely boring world on one hand, soulless in the sense of the human relationship to art and other abstract expressions of itself, and hideously authoritarian even if not by design.

We could poll everyone and say, "Where do you stop?" I guarantee you that every one of those answers would fall short of what a godless world will look like.

Watch the drug war in the US and abroad. When American mouths are talking and you know they're not speaking the truth, ask yourself what it is that allows you and others to disagree? Where does objectivity stop being a condition and start being a demand? That is, how many times can the US go in with the idea that they know all beforehand and things had better go the way they're planned, or else?

Now, not the drug war itself, but there is something about its cold objectivity coupled with its restriction of what counts as valid data. Ask the average American voter about prisons, they'll tell you all sorts of things but the one thing they won't tell you is that all the effort against violent crime has resulted in a worsening of the effect. When they see potheads getting 25-year sentences for possessing a joint and the local crack-dealing, gun-running, child-raping pimp turned out the front door of the precinct after 24 hours for lack of resources, they start to get the picture. But then it becomes about getting the violent criminals also. There is always a mythical presumption that right is and always has equaled one thing and wrong is and always has equaled another.

So if we can pick out consistency in that sense, how odd will our world look when the Consistent is the god of all wisdom? What will happen to the statistical deviations?

Times change. Chief among the public challenges to L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time in recent years are lesbianism, witchcraft, and Communism. (In my youth, incidentally, it was witchcraft, anti-authoritarianism, and unchaperoned boy-girl adventures.)

What's really funny about that, though, is that the book hasn't changed. In fact, at its release, Wrinkle seemed staunchly anti-communist, reducing the villain to something named "IT" ("it") and depicting a Utopiate in which children played in rhythm, there was never an aberration, and fear slipped through the streets like. In the modern day, the nearest I can think of to suit the charges of fostering communism are a simplistic rendering of the name IT (into "I.T."--informational technologies) and an absolutely creepy sense of automation that is becoming cannon fodder for American and British comedians, pundits, and sages. I must admit that, reading the books over a decade later, I found some credibility in the sense of I.T. Of course, I might as well tack on here that while I do not credit anyone envisioning such a soulless and lackluster world as Utopia, such a vision becomes instantly possible when you start wiping out the subjectivities.

Start with the big myths, and work down:

• God
• Human race/species
• Ethnicity
• Nationality
• Culture
• Identity
• Individuality

Throw whatever you want on there in any order. At some point, all the myths will fall because they are objectively too expensive to permit.

Other considerations

I think Cris has some insight on the illogic of warfare. And it ties into what I'm after. I hardly think of warfare as a good thing, but think of how much of human warfare finds its justification in subjective horsepucky. Quite frankly, all of it does.

And science does increase our knowledge, as mentioned. But how much of that knowledge will be present? In order for religion itself to die out naturally, the human species will have to answer a good number of questions that are a thousand generations at least beyond our capabilities. All things told, when knowledge of the human purpose arises to usurp the gods, well, then we'll have a world without religion.

The first key is the Abramic religions. These are the biggest thorn in the paw. There is, unfortunately, no demonstrable way to work around them

But, truly, I think Judaism will eventually pass from this world by its own volition. What, with Israel fueling the anti-Semitic fire, Islamic fundamentalists making a war issue out of religion, and American Christians daily becoming less and less relevant to the challenges facing their own communities, I don't think the next century will be kind to any of these three faiths. The Buddhists I'll leave alone until it comes down to it, and other religions will either assimilate or meet the force of an objective odd-world which has shown that not even fear of eternal punishment is enough to make it behave decently.

I think of how important people make cultural heritage. In the odd-world, it will be vital to teach your child to identify with and as nothing as early as possible.

I mean, at some point, everybody will have to just write down their most personal hatred in the world and throw it into the hopper. Call it a myth, strike it down. Crap, in my town, school funding doesn't have an objective enough result to bank on.

The godless world, if grafted from the one we have now, would be an odd world. Of more graceful adaptations--it's a couple of generations at least before it would officially start. Of one in concept, having never had "gods" ... I assure all that humanity would have found something worth staking its everything on.

Cinnamon gelato? Why not?

A world without religion seems nice, but its practical embodiment doesn't seem quite so simple. And its result is hardly guaranteed.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

A few simple points:

1) Free, happy, self-determined individuals existed before religion, and will exist after it.

2) People lived together in functioning societies before religion, and will do so after it.

3) Religion has never prevented greed, murder, rape, jealousy, or any other such thing.

4) Different ethnicities, nations, cultures, et cetera, existed before religion, and will exist after it.

5) Lack of religion does not equal "soulless" or "not spiritual".

6) Lack of religion does not mean "pure objectivity".

Interesting points ... a few simple responses

1) Free, happy, self-determined individuals existed before religion, and will exist after it.

These individuals existed in an anarchic state, without the benefits of society. Certes, though, I can see how a free-for-all is preferable for integrity to merely violating the rules.

2) People lived together in functioning societies before religion, and will do so after it.
From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Society \So*ci"e*ty\, n.; pl. Societies. [L. societas, fr.
socius a companion: cf. F. soci['e]t['e]. See Social.]
1. The relationship of men to one another when associated in
any way; companionship; fellowship; company. ``Her loved
society.'' --Milton.

There is society where none intrudes By the deep
sea, and music in its roar. --Byron.

2. Connection; participation; partnership. [R.]

The meanest of the people and such as have the least
society with the acts and crimes of kings. --Jer.
Taylor.

3. A number of persons associated for any temporary or
permanent object; an association for mutual or joint
usefulness, pleasure, or profit; a social union; a
partnership; as, a missionary society.

4. The persons, collectively considered, who live in any
region or at any period; any community of individuals who
are united together by a common bond of nearness or
intercourse; those who recognize each other as associates,
friends, and acquaintances.

5. Specifically, the more cultivated portion of any community
in its social relations and influences; those who mutually
give receive formal entertainments.

Society of Jesus. See Jesuit.

Society verses [a translation of F. vers de soci['e]t['e]],
the lightest kind of lyrical poetry; verses for the
amusement of polite society.

-----------------

From WordNet (r) 1.6:

society
n 1: an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and
economic organization
2: a formal association of people with similar interests; "he
joined a golf club"; "they formed a small lunch society";
"men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen
today" [syn: club, guild, gild, lodge, order]
3: the state of being with someone; "he missed their company";
"he enjoyed the society of his friends" [syn: company, comradeship,
companionship, good fellowship, fellowship]
4: the fashionable elite [syn: high society, beau monde, smart
set, bon ton]
Which definition of society would you like to apply?

The most common context--and I may err in applying that context to the present discussion--speaks more of Webster's 3, 4, and 5 (living in society) than it does of 1 (e.g. high society, an elitist echelon) or 2 (e.g. criminal underworld, an organized subculture).

WordNet's definition 1 also suffices here for the purposes of the distinction.

In the terms of "club" society--a limited, mutual engagement--I would not deign to argue.

But in terms of "civilized society", or "civilization" (WordNet: a society in an advanced state of development), show me please a functioning society without religion.

The superstitions of the primitive world lent much to the nature of the societies that humans would form.

3) Religion has never prevented greed, murder, rape, jealousy, or any other such thing.

Yes and no. In other words, I get what you're after. But establishing that religion is no different from any other widely-practiced philosophy seems unnecessary. I must be missing the point.

4) Different ethnicities, nations, cultures, et cetera, existed before religion, and will exist after it.

Come experience the American melting pot. Watch our handling of the "Indian problem" over the years. Or perhaps a term that may not be familiar Down Under: Uncle Tom. Anyone can be equal in this country as long as they stop being who they are and act like everyone else. Yes, different genetic ethnicities existed long before the rise of religions, but as humanity progressed, we ran out of "civilized" excuses for warfare and turned to these.

Ever hear the racial insult "banana"? Yellow on the outside, white on the inside? It's an insult slung at Asian-Americans who try to acculturate. Oreo? Same thing, but with a black.

Listen to an American tribal war song, or funerary song. I could care less what color everyone's skin is next generation, but I would find it tragic if those songs, those histories, and those passions became merely academic.

An American pastime seems to be trying to make it illegal for someone else to exist. The Three-fifths Rule, Woman Suffrage issues, religious segregation and elitism (part, we understand, of the problem at hand) ...

Are we pretending that, without religion, the world becomes sunshine and friggin' rainbows? ;)

6) Lack of religion does not mean "pure objectivity".

I'm addressing this out of order because it's complementary to my point to do so.

So, a simple question: Will a lack of religion also mean a lack of silly, subjective standards?

And, from there, who decides what's silly or not? Certes, the majority rules, but in this country, at least (the current zenith of the human endeavor through nations) we have survived by protecting the minority against an anarchic and frothing majority. Majority rules would have left Civil Rights in the 19th century, much less at having a dream.

After all, by law Rosa Parks should have gone to prison. All she did was sit on a bus and change the world.

But there is the question: Will a lack of religion also mean a lack of silly, subjective standards?

So, in the face of pure objectivity being impossible, what will be the criteria for acceptable subjectivity?

5) Lack of religion does not equal "soulless" or "not spiritual".

It well may, depending on how the above questions are resolved. As with our debates involving Wicca and atheism--it is an act of faith on my part, that is, a lack of objective data, that demonstrates that a lack of religion will not equal a lack of soul and spirit.

It is, incidentally, the same faith in human beings which prevents me from utter and exclusionary bigotry against Christianity. Each person has their potential, each person has their value.

Why, for instance, do people oppose religion? For starters, there's the idea that despite all the sunshine & friggin' rainbow messages of the religionists, there is no positive connection of theory and result. That is, despite the compassion and love alleged by the Christians, for instance, we see a savage history that has people locked in mortal combat for generations.

In my life, atheism is just another human process. What people oppose about labels is the oft-slanderous connection they draw between labels and results. I cannot, for instance, decry you as soulless merely because you are an atheist; rather, if you're soulless, your words and actions will demonstrate.

But the observed tendency of the objectivist to take objectivism to fanaticism is well-established for me. After all, once gods are gone, what of patriotism? What of other daily subjectivities? It's nice to think about, but realize that after religious boundaries, the next thing on the block, logically, is national borders. When patriotism, isolated from theism, still rears its ugly head and locks humanity in its basilisk-gaze, and proves to be just as if not more deadly than religion, how many generations to do away with it?

And what's next?

A world without religion might happen someday, but it will be short-lived 'twixt the time that we attain the final plank of knowledge and transcend the human experience because of that attainment.

Across the spectrum, the primary trend of human association has been division and strife. Eliminating gods will do nothing to eliminate division and strife, but merely eliminate religious justifications for division and strife. The problem of what, exactly, to do about division and strife is entirely its own.

thanx,

These individuals existed in an anarchic state, without the benefits of society. Certes, though, I can see how a free-for-all is preferable for integrity to merely violating the rules.
Small tribal societies are not anarchic. They generally hold a very rigid social structure. Perhaps you could show us some information regarding the nature of tribal life 200,000 years ago which would support the idea that they were anarchists.

Society -> Latin: socius = friend. But, even in the definitions you posted, I see only one reference to religion. That would logically imply that religion is not necessary to the meaning of society. But that list of definitions is extraneous to the topic of discussion, that being consideration of a world (and society, or community) without religion.

... show me please a functioning society without religion.
My family and friends (except for one Buddhist aunt).

Yes and no. In other words, I get what you're after. But establishing that religion is no different from any other widely-practiced philosophy seems unnecessary. I must be missing the point.
Perhaps. Religion is not, and has never been, any guarantee of humane or civilised behaviour. Even we atheists are generally pretty safe to be around. Put simply: religion has nothing to do with it. There is no intrinsic relationship between religion and civilised behaviour.

Come experience the American melting pot. Watch our handling of the "Indian problem" over the years. Or perhaps a term that may not be familiar Down Under: Uncle Tom. Anyone can be equal in this country as long as they stop being who they are and act like everyone else.
You cite as an example a nation in which christianity holds sway. This would seem to demonstrate that religion is not conducive to individuality and freedom.

Are we pretending that, without religion, the world becomes sunshine and friggin' rainbows?
Perhaps it might be nicer over there without religion. All the problems you mentioned are, as you say, a result of religious matters and conformity based on the good old christian taming of the wild west.

So, a simple question: Will a lack of religion also mean a lack of silly, subjective standards?
I was making the point that atheists can be subjective as well, thus a world without religion does not mean a world of cold objectivity. I don't recall ever saying that subjectivity is silly.

After all, by law Rosa Parks should have gone to prison. All she did was sit on a bus and change the world.
Is this a black woman who went to a white school of something in the USA a few decades back? If so, she helped change the USA, not the world.

So, in the face of pure objectivity being impossible, what will be the criteria for acceptable subjectivity?
To me, the whole concept of subjectivity denies the input or control of external criteria. The point of my short statement that "Lack of religion does not mean pure objectivity" was to say that there is no reason to believe that a world without religion would be cold and unfeeling. I see no reason why a world of atheists could not create marvellous art.

It is, incidentally, the same faith in human beings which prevents me from utter and exclusionary bigotry against Christianity.
It is odd that you insist on repeating such baseless things. I know I posted everal times that I approve of single standards for all people, not for any one group, say christians for example. I have asked you repeatedly to explain where you got this idea that I am a bigot, yet you consistently fail.

After all, once gods are gone, what of patriotism?
Patriotism is not one of my favourite foods. National borders, too, I would like to see left in the dust of history. However, I see no reason (you have not established a connection) for atheism to mean and end to patriotism.

Matter of scale ... and other issues.

Small tribal societies are not anarchic. They generally hold a very rigid social structure. Perhaps you could show us some information regarding the nature of tribal life 200,000 years ago which would support the idea that they were anarchists.
(A) Now, can you prove to me that they weren't religious?

(B) Matter of scale ... we'll get to that.

One of the standard arguments given much attention in other, older atheism-related debates is that religion stands in the place of knowledge. Many times posters have gone through the notion of fire-gods and other such anthropomorphizations of the unknown. This will be the first time I suggest that point to an atheist, so thank you for that experience.

But I'll bet your left nut they were religious.

Or did tribal society "get religion" like a disease, out of the blue?
Society -> Latin: socius = friend. But, even in the definitions you posted, I see only one reference to religion. That would logically imply that religion is not necessary to the meaning of society. But that list of definitions is extraneous to the topic of discussion, that being consideration of a world (and society, or community) without religion.
(A) Religion in the definitions? I think you're looking at the point too hard.

(B) Matter of scale ... we'll get to that.
My family and friends (except for one Buddhist aunt)
Matter of scale ... we have arrived at the aforementioned point.

Quite simply is that here is my answer to which society definition you're using. At that small of a scale, sure, I'll hand you the point.

Now, apply that scale to the point in your earlier post to which it applies: People lived together in functioning societies before religion, and will do so after it.

I won't argue with it. Documenting a 200,000 year-old atheistic cave-dwelling clan might be a difficult task, but there's no reason to believe that the widespread tribal religions of the more recent yesteryear aren't new-fangled tourist-traps.

Furthermore, is there a reason you're answering an ellipsis? It does, in fact, change the point you answer. (Point pertained to a larger definition of society than your family and friends.)

A helpful hint: If you cause me to look up to prior posts more often (e.g. cut citations), I am more likely to find such hairs that you've split.
Religion is not, and has never been, any guarantee of humane or civilised behaviour. Even we atheists are generally pretty safe to be around. Put simply: religion has nothing to do with it. There is no intrinsic relationship between religion and civilised behaviour.
No argument there. I must be missing the significance of why you included that point. Of course, with all the presuppositions I criticize, I should never take something so simple as that point for granted.
You cite as an example a nation in which christianity holds sway. This would seem to demonstrate that religion is not conducive to individuality and freedom.
As compared to what? Her Majesty's territories? Bananas and Oreos are only peripherally related to religion.
Perhaps it might be nicer over there without religion. All the problems you mentioned are, as you say, a result of religious matters and conformity based on the good old christian taming of the wild west.
Have you ever heard the tired accusation that without God people will have no moral center, and thus will inherently act immorally? I live in the US, where God or no, people think it their right to be immoral. When the Christians lose power, the Lawyers and Marketers will hold sway. Either way, it's a losing situation.
I was making the point that atheists can be subjective as well, thus a world without religion does not mean a world of cold objectivity. I don't recall ever saying that subjectivity is silly
Methinks you're taking this a tad personally. What, I can't use the word silly?

Right. Atheists are subjective. Now, widespread, specific subjectivity causes a loss of profit, of resource, and of life. What to do about that subjectivity?

That atheists are subjective as well is understood. What I'm pointing out is that without religion to harp on, what comes next? After all, it's not like religion will be the end of damaging, subjective standards. What become the criteria?
Is this a black woman who went to a white school of something in the USA a few decades back? If so, she helped change the USA, not the world.
It was a city bus.

And yes ... change the USA, you change the world. Especially when you change the USA so fundamentally. Sure, we support Britain in most everything, but it's not like racism is over worldwide, and it's not like the US has the same footing to support racism. I do wish we would have done more about conditions in South Africa at the time, but we didn't stay as entirely quiet as we would have without Rosa and MLK to push us through that trying time.

Really ... you change the USA, you change the world. Ask Osama bin Laden.
To me, the whole concept of subjectivity denies the input or control of external criteria. The point of my short statement that "Lack of religion does not mean pure objectivity" was to say that there is no reason to believe that a world without religion would be cold and unfeeling. I see no reason why a world of atheists could not create marvellous art
Actually, what happens is the atheists produce popular art ;)

And no, there is no guarantee that atheists won't produce marvelous art.

But the result in my life has shown me that the general trend among atheists is a weeding out of subjectivities until life is without passion or soul. It's the objective observation from my living experience. Anything else I have to take on faith.
It is odd that you insist on repeating such baseless things. I know I posted everal times that I approve of single standards for all people, not for any one group, say christians for example. I have asked you repeatedly to explain where you got this idea that I am a bigot, yet you consistently fail
And here is the big hint that you're taking this too personally. (What happened to that standard of yours?)

Okay, first of all, you are a bigot because you have prescribed the limiting of public office according to creed. You have even asked me why the state shouldn't have such a standard, and I have told you why that's the way it is in this country.

Secondly, this is exactly where I get off telling you you're taking it too personally. From my own post, the relevant portion in boldface:
It well may, depending on how the above questions are resolved. As with our debates involving Wicca and atheism--it is an act of faith on my part, that is, a lack of objective data, that demonstrates that a lack of religion will not equal a lack of soul and spirit.

It is, incidentally, the same faith in human beings which prevents me from utter and exclusionary bigotry against Christianity. Each person has their potential, each person has their value.
• It is an act of faith for me to presume that atheism en massse will not result in a tidal-wave of soul-killing "objectivity".

• That act of faith stems from a standard I usually apply to theists.

• That my experience indicates that atheism results in a loss of soul does not mean that all atheists are soulless.

• This is just like my standard that just because Christianity has resulted in so much ill and so frequently raises dysfunctional human beings does not mean that the next Christian I meet will be an ill-willed dysfunctional moron.

• Bearing this standard in mind prevents me from excluding Christians from life & conscience.

Was it really that tough to understand? I'm applying a standard where it belongs on an occasion that does not usually arise because it doesn't come up nearly as often. Aside from that, there's not much there to figure out.

How did you derive from that a new implication that you're a bigot? What, is it on your mind lately?
Patriotism is not one of my favourite foods. National borders, too, I would like to see left in the dust of history. However, I see no reason (you have not established a connection) for atheism to mean and end to patriotism.
• Patriotism is a superstition.
• Patriotism causes and supports wars.

Patriotism is a myth of privilege, supremacy, and correctness. Patriotism compels people to combat even when the objective reasons are not there. Patriotism is a religion, with God removed from the equation and the State inserted as the figurehead.

Here, it's not that long, it's by Emma Goldman, and it states the case clearly: Patriotism: A menace to liberty

Watch the myth in action? The Red Scare, which started with the Communist Manifesto, stained American labor disputes with blood, came before Congress in a viper's nest of lies and betrayals (including names named--correctly or incorrectly--by future President Ronald Reagan, who made a career out of Red-Scaring), and eventually landed us in a couple of not-quite-wars. We sent human beings to kill and die in Vietnam based on a patriotic idea well-dsicussed by Goldman,
Indeed, conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism. Let me illustrate. Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into little spots, each one surrounded by an iron gate. Those who have had the fortune of being born on some particular spot, consider themselves better, nobler, grander, more intelligent than the living beings inhabiting any other spot. It is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on that chosen spot to fight, kill, and die in the attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others.

The inhabitants of the other spots reason in like manner, of course, with the result that, from early infancy, the mind of the child is poisoned with bloodcurdling stories about the Germans, the French, the Italians, Russians, etc. When the child has reached manhood, he is thoroughly saturated with the belief that he is chosen by the Lord himself to defend his  country against the attack or invasion of any foreigner.
I mean, really ... how much of history does this describe? Quite a bit.

And Goldman was years before Vietnam. But that also accounts for a good deal of the backlash. People no longer wanted to nod and say, "Those nasty Commies." And suddenly the nods and the nod-nots split right down the middle and we've been squeamish about sending our troops to war ever since. Mind you, we'll send people around to kill and die, but you'll notice we like to keep our own casualty count low. Well, unless you're Canadian, apparently.

But have you not been following the thread?

• It is sad to say that Religion brings war, and I really Im sad about that because Religion is a bug part in life people should always keep in mind, but when it goes bad its just depressing. (Tyler)

If religion makes people want to murder each other, maybe religion is bad for the world. (Tyler)

• The fact that religions preach love, but often generate violence, cannot be dismissed as a minor imperfection. (Tyler)

• Not all religions kill. You don't see buddhists and taoists killing non-believers. (Daktakpaklak)

• So I think the more interseting question would be; in the IMPOSSIBLE situation that religion did not exist.....what would take it's place as a reason for killing? (Tyler)

• A world without religion implies that everyone has learnt to think rationally and that means no more wars, since wars are illogical. (Cris)

I would say that patriotism, at least, cover's Tyler's question, and its relationship to warfare makes it fairly consistent with the topic in general.

thanx,

I can not prove that small tribes 200,000 years ago were not religious. The point there being that one can not say "the world without religion will suck", because there is no possible way to know that. What we do know is that religion now, in this world, is a big problem, and an untried or unknown alternative is probably worth a shot.

One of the standard arguments given much attention in other, older atheism-related debates is that religion stands in the place of knowledge.
I would abstract that somewhat and say acceptance stands in the way of learning.

But I'll bet your left nut they were religious.
:p

Or did tribal society "get religion" like a disease, out of the blue?
It would not surprise me. There must be a first to say "I bet the sun is a spirit/god/whatever."

Furthermore, is there a reason you're answering an ellipsis?
It is customary in English when partially quoting someone to include them where other words are being left out.

As compared to what? Her Majesty's territories?
Religion has minimal effect on politics and society in Australia. Religious lobby groups very rarely even poke their heads up, and you would be very hard pressed to find a town in which some religious leader was tormenting some local citizen openly, such as happened to a friend in England when she could not afford to donate on Sunday; the preacher went about spreading rumours about her, nasty stuff like that. I do not recall ever hearing of such behaviour here.

In my current home town, Mount Eliza, it is a little joke that the religious people are too polite to show themselves. A bit of an upper class town generally, polite people (supposedly). The few churches are hidden away. You actually have to look for them to see them.

Have you ever heard the tired accusation that without God people will have no moral center, and thus will inherently act immorally? I live in the US, where God or no, people think it their right to be immoral. When the Christians lose power, the Lawyers and Marketers will hold sway. Either way, it's a losing situation.
It is a shame. The USA seems to have a surplus of people willing to hate and hurt for any reason, and religion happens to be on their list. But the same could be said of half the countries on Earth. I would like to see a world in which that list is very small, in which better education and fair uniform laws with just enforcement mean there are simply fewer reasons and opportunities for people to screw each other over.

Now, widespread, specific subjectivity causes a loss of profit, of resource, and of life.
Care to expand on this?

Really ... you change the USA, you change the world. Ask Osama bin Laden.
Indeed. But then, this is a re-run of Panama, Iraq, Iran, Cuba, Libya, and other such shows. The effects of such episodes are to contribute to the overall American foreign policy. The extent of influence of that policy is more easily gauged in the USA than in other places, I think. For example, I find it difficult to believe that a 12 year old kid in Panama would know much about why the USA handles military bases along the canal, and why those bases are being shut down. However (and I have seen this), ask a 12 year old USA citizen what and why about Saddam Hussein, and he says "Bomb them all! They're murderers!" Note the hypocrisy.

But then, I should point out to be fair that at my cousin's wedding on the weekend we were all subjected to the brilliant Uncle Wayne. Uncle Wayne is fat, bald, drinks too much, hates women (feels threatened by them or something), and wouldn't know what to do with a thought if he had one. His ideas about Palestine? "They're all fuckin' terrorists! They kill innocent civilians! We should just bomb them flat, kill the lot of them!" Again, he doesn't see the hypocrisy.

Actually, what happens is the atheists produce popular art.
Take that back!

But the result in my life has shown me that the general trend among atheists is a weeding out of subjectivities until life is without passion or soul.
Well, I have the very opposite problem, which can be seen from various threads in the Free Thoughts section.

And here is the big hint that you're taking this too personally.
You have actually called me a bigot in several threads. Is that not personal? I do not advocate restricting people holding certain creeds from holding public office. I advocate limiting all activities undertaken by people holding public office to those within the duties of that office. If a rule of holding public office means that a person can not say "All non-christian tax-payers will now pay 5% more than everyone else", that is not bigotry. That is fair and just. I propose that public offices should restrict people from being able to say such things. As it stands in Australia, our tax office allows various religious organisations to take income without paying taxes. That is flat out wrong. The office should not be allowed to make such distinctions. The subject of any law or rule of an office should not ever be any specific religion, race, or other class/type of people. For this reason, those who serve the people should either: publicly renounce support of any such cause; or be forced by the rules of their office to perform their duties without any preference or discrimination based on such a cause; or both. To do otherwise is to accept on faith that they will be nice fair people, like Ashcroft. But what about freedom of speech? As we know, that condition is not absolute anyway in the USA. But, let's assume it exists. In which case the person does not have to accept the duties of that public office. They are free to go flip burgers for a living. It is their choice to accept the rules of that office. Would this be allowed in the USA? It already is. When was the last time you heard the USA president say "Fuck you Yasser, ya dumb goat-humper!" When was the last time you heard a sergeant in the army yell "Sir, I shagged your daughter last night with a corn cob and there's not a damn thing your weeny arse can do about it!" Public offices in the USA already follow codes of conduct, and they are generally for the good.

Patriotism is a myth of privilege, supremacy, and correctness. Patriotism compels people to combat even when the objective reasons are not there. Patriotism is a religion, with God removed from the equation and the State inserted as the figurehead.
I had patriotism under my thumb (meaning figured out) many years ago, and I still don't like it.

Yes, I have read those things said by others. I must say, Tyler's idea that maybe something would just replace religion as a reason to kill is a tad pessimistic.

I'm not sure about Cris's "wars are illogical." I can see the logic in wars. The logic for the wars is often quite steady. It's the logic behind the forces behind those wars that I find unstable. For example, I see why the First Crusade happened. It was a good move politically. But then, it is based on the unstable logic of religion. War is generally a very productive way of lowering unemployment, boosting industry, and gaining points in political campaigns.

Originally posted by Adam
People lived together in functioning societies before religion, and will do so after it."

I'm pretty sure you and tiassa are debating this point, but i thought you sounded pretty sure and wondered if you could say how you know this to be true.:)

Love

Jan Ardena.

Surrogates and other notions

I can not prove that small tribes 200,000 years ago were not religious. The point there being that one can not say "the world without religion will suck", because there is no possible way to know that. What we do know is that religion now, in this world, is a big problem, and an untried or unknown alternative is probably worth a shot.
The untried or unknown alternative is worth a shot, but only in its time. To make the world godless before people have the knowledge to replace the religious surrogate (we'll get to this again, as I see) will only cause people to raise other surrogates for knowledge.

To take Christianity as the example--there are numerous interpretations of Christianity which have the effects of making it a charitable, progressive, and contributory force in the world and which reduce God from the office of idiot taskmaster. None of these interpretations, however, are popular. I hope to tie this in, as well, to the larger point of religions as surrogates for knowledge. We'll see.
I would abstract that somewhat and say acceptance stands in the way of learning.
For the longest time, religion helped learning by forcing a certain degree of civility, pointing to a higher cause than the animalistic ripping of throats which seemed such a popular solution.

The problem is that one cannot lay a blanket interpretation over religions, or even one religion, throughout time. The idea of God brought people together, but now the fear that draws people to the Christian god, for instance, is sharply asynchronous to reality. A common point, for instance, of Christian apologists is that much scientific discovery comes from people who happened to be Christians. I've seen Newton raised as such, but that's always a bad idea since the "Newtonian God" is the primary agent against which Diderot and other atheists reacted in the nineteenth century. The God of Newton is different from the God of Anselm, for instance. And the vagaries of the Newtonian-derived cosmology are certainly different from the God against which Diderot reacted. It is, in human terms, a relatively new phenomenon that society outpaces the gods.

In that sense, in the modern day, Christianity does seem to be an agent against knowledge. Any place Christians stick their will into the civic arena, it seems they're at least slightly behind the times. It's the mere difference between "discovering God's miraculous universe" and simple, superstitious obedience.

As a general note, though, it's worth pointing out that I, in not going to college straight out of high school, deviated from an unusual trend. At my school, 97% of graduates go on to college straightaway. In addition, with mediocre grades and test scores, I still received a state honor at graduation indicating me in the top 10% of the state's graduating seniors.:bugeye: I can't compare necessarily to those in Washington state public schools, but when I got down to Oregon, it turns out that my first girlfriend in college was an Oregon public schools graduate and an honor student. Her roommate was an honor student. And their best friend was an honor student. One of the three, the roommate, could write a proper research paper or handle an essay test without panic. About half the papers I wrote in college were for other people; maybe that's why I dropped out. But in the direct testimony, a Jesuit school did, in fact, educate me quite well compared to my public-school counterparts.

As a general theme, I'll say it depends on each individual. And that's one of the places where religions seem to hurt: individuality. And that effect is where religion becomes detrimental to learning.
It would not surprise me. There must be a first to say "I bet the sun is a spirit/god/whatever."
I wouldn't expect it to be that simple. By the time someone got around to betting someone else's left nut that there was a sun god, there were few objectors. One of the interesting aspects of Markale, for instance, is how much focus he puts on psychology while exploring the anthropology and history of the Celtic experience. Aldous Huxley noted, in Jesting Pilate, that oppressed people are more likely to have legendary heroes than those not oppressed. It's a great point in the modern day that applies to the US in the same way Huxley tried to apply it to the British. But when we look at the exaggerated Irish or Kossovar (Huxley's example, even in 1925) tales of history, we see a certain, reverent clinging to a significant past. This can tie in to Markale in the sense that, in exploring the myth of Ys, he notes historical writings (ancient Greece &c.) pointing toward keltoi water rituals. Is this, as goes the suggestion, a primal memory of flood? Are the observed rituals of standing a battle line at the shore and casting weapons into the sea mere stupidity or some tribute to an event raised to mythic and even religious proportions?

Strangely, my Markale has disappeared into the house somewhere, so I'm having trouble pulling page references for Ys. Nonetheless, I did come across an interesting page for Scintilla (software) which contains a lovely and suggestive note (I love it when stuff like this turns up in random places):
Sunken lands are a recurring theme in myth - Ys and Atlantis being well known examples. Often associated with the fall of a land because of the hubris of the inhabitants.
One need not believe in Atlantis as a literal reality, but this theosophical article says a few things about the relationship of myth to reality that are worth considering. (One more link on Ys, which myth I'm stressing today because it speaks toward the development of ideas into myth and religion.)

Anthropomorphization is a curious process. I assert that at the dawn of the human consciousness, its need to assimilate things tended toward animism and anthropomorphism. What is not understood is accepted as known according to specific needs. In the beginning, superstitions of fire probably developed from its behavior; one doesn't need to watch Backdraft or slobber all over Donald Sutherland's insane character to sympathize with the notion of living fire. Incidentally, there are old--perhaps nineteenth-century--classifications of life by which fire suffices as a living entity. It took us a while to get away from fire in that sense.

The development of gods in later times is a different process. I don't doubt that gods were eventually calculated to support mortal power structures, but that's a different issue that we may actually get to in the course of this.
It is customary in English when partially quoting someone to include them where other words are being left out.
Is it also customary in English to alter the meaning of a sentence? Here, one of my favorite examples comes from a Christian named Bob Larsen. Being that I don't ever buy or own copies of his books, I haven't this one at hand for a page citation. But Larsen, a critic of rock music, has shown his own illiteracy. On one occasion, he denounced Anthrax for the line "I'll kill you" in the song Misery Loves Company. Had he read the liner notes, he would have seen that the band was actually playing out the Stephen King novel "Misery". But his most idiotic tantrums came in the listing of rock lyrics he found objectionable. To wit, he blasted Ronnie James Dio for the song All the Fools Sailed Away.

• "...we are the damned ... we are hunted by the lion and the lamb ... we bring you sin ... we will disappear never to be seen again."

But whence come these ellipses?

• We are the innocent, we are the damned. We were caught in the middle of the madness, hunted by the lion and the lamb. We bring you fantasy, we bring you pain. It's your one great chance for a miracle, or we will disappear never to be seen again. (Note ... "we bring you sin" occurs in a different verse, even.)

Kind of changes things, doesn't it? Especially when, in the abbreviated version, you're complaining about the indoctrination of children.

So the reason I ask about the ellipsis is simple:

• ... show me please a functioning society without religion. (cited)

• But in terms of "civilized society", or "civilization" (WordNet: a society in an advanced state of development), show me please a functioning society without religion. (original)

I just find it odd that you're changing the question in order to provide an answer. I'm not going to argue with the notion of small associations of people who operate without religious structures, though I highly doubt them devoid of religious superstition.

If I said that I believed that societies existed which seek to dominate the world, would it be more appropriate to think in terms of Nazi Germany and the United States, or of, say, the Illuminati?

It's a matter of scale, so I was just wondering why you had to alter the scale of the question before providing a response. It's not the biggest deal in the world.
Religion has minimal effect on politics and society in Australia.
This may be, and I won't argue with it directly. Of course, it would appear that your Constitution has accomplished what South Carolina can't figure out:
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth (Sec. 116)
Nonetheless, religion is present in Australia, as noted here
Historically, religion in Australia has largely been confined to rural areas, and is conspiciously absent as an urban cultural force in Australia, separating itself from the machination of the state. However, one must not underemphasize their regional influence; churches remained a dominant educational force throughout the nineteenth century. Thanks to large amounts of aid from the mother church and extensive missionary efforts, Australia witnessed a proliferation of a various Christian sects. The Anglican Church, largely because of extensive aid from the wealthy Church of England, established itself as the dominant church in the nineteenth century, and today 34 per cent of all Australians are Anglican.
(Today=11 years ago in the above paragraph.) Furthermore, religion appears to have played an important role in Australian social development. Having gained a diocese of its own in 1836, the Anglican drama would play out until 1962, when the Anglican Church of Australia was finally recognized by the mother church as independent. In fact, religion does play quite the role in Australian history. An Australian site, http://www.antichrist.com.au , reminds us in its way of the problems of religion which came with the development of the Australian nation:
In 1788, Governor Sir George Arthur Phillip (1738-1814) was among the First Fleet to arrive at Sydney Cove.

A fervent Anglican evangelical, Governor Phillip' gave immediate instructions to set about Christianising the new land.

He introduced a policy which resulted in the "Black Drive" or extermination of the entire Tasmanian Aboriginal race.

In Tasmania, the policy meant Aborigines who embraced Christianity were sent to government reserves for "assimilation".

Those who refused to join the "adaptation" programme were rounded up and exiled to wind-swept Flinders Island in the Bass Strait ...
This among others. The antichrist site is cool. For instance, its list of Australian church offenders seems a predecessor to the US-Catholic controversy, and lends much toward the present topic.

Of more incidental behavior, e.g. priests badmouthing parishoners, is that really a religious problem or a human problem?

In that sense, is any of it a religious problem, or is it all a human problem?
It is a shame. The USA seems to have a surplus of people willing to hate and hurt for any reason, and religion happens to be on their list. But the same could be said of half the countries on Earth. I would like to see a world in which that list is very small, in which better education and fair uniform laws with just enforcement mean there are simply fewer reasons and opportunities for people to screw each other over.
And there is a vital point. Better education, fair laws, just enforcement ... not only will these things lead to a brighter future, but they will lead to the diminishing of the human necessity of religion.
Care to expand on this?
Sure:

• Now, widespread, specific subjectivity causes a loss of profit, of resource, and of life.

People rarely, if ever, go to war for objective reasons. Plenty of justifications might seem objective, but in reality, what nations have explored every peaceful option before resorting to warfare?

If we look back at the Crusades, we see an obvious connection 'twixt subjectivity and warfare. In this case, the subjective is God. In the modern day, though, listen to the Bush party line. It's almost a religion in this country. Seriously, ask an American about poverty and illiteracy, and the connection such factors have toward violence among peoples, and you'll likely get a run-around. At last count, I can't quite explain the Afghani-Bush War.

• We are protecting the American Way while not honoring it. This is acceptable because we're the good guys.
• They (Afghanis) ought to be thankful that we're there with our bombs and guns making a better life for them.
• It is unfair to raise the Afghani standard of living with industrial and commercial development and fair wages.
• They're not poor. They eat every day.
• Placing the warlords in charge of the country will raise the standard of living, notwithstanding that helping to elevate the Taliban to power was supposed to raise the standard of living.
• You're either with us or against us.
• The bombing of the WTC makes this not just America's fight, but everyone's.

All of the above get a :bugeye: from me. I hear them fairly regularly as Americans discuss the war. They're all, as you might notice, pro-war positions.

Only a couple of notes to deviate from that list: everyone's fight? Hell, you could hear civilized Europeans on the news saying, "It's awful, but now at least the US is in with us." How long has the world waited for us to take on this problem? And eating every day? The counterpoint actually had to do with other countries, and came down to, "What, they have a bowl of rice every day." Yeah, and KFC, McD's, Red Robin, Cucina Cucina, and the local supermarket are ... what? They're our right dammit, and nobody's going to deny us that standard of living; it's a far cry from a bowl of rice a day.

Wars are fuelled by subjective responses to objective crises. Among the Cimbri and the Teutones is evidence that among their warring ways, they were known, in fact, to occasionally enter an area and ask for settling rights. One set of battles, that ended near Rome, arose after the Romans intervened in negotiations to allow settling in a given region. The locals were very near saying yes when the Romans said no. I find it interesting that negotiations in the modern day aren't nearly so vital or apropos necessity. Take the Northern Irish conflict. Insofar as I can tell, the whole world missed the fact that the condition for allowing the IRA to negotiate for cease-fire was, essentially, the dismantling of the IRA, thereby leaving no body to negotiate with. I mean, really ... how ridiculous is that? Once people figured it out, things went even worse. A suspension of the Good Friday accord came, according to AP reports, because the IRA wouldn't disarm; to read The Economist and other publications that evade the American-censor paradigm, one learns that the Ulsters were threatening to hamstring the government unless they got their way, and the Brits were against the wall. The whole thing wasn't about any issues of the conflict, rather 'twas all about establishing who's in charge of ending the conflict. It was all politicking and jockeying.

Subjective issues such as Patriotism, moral-ethnic identities, religion, and so forth, are what lead bad situations into war. There isn't enough food? We could ask our neighbors for assistance ... ah, but they're _____ (fill in the derogatory blank however you like), and we should just take what we want because we deserve it.

The issues may seem objective, but the solutions are justified entirely in BS subjectivity, such as Patriotism, Racism, Religion, and other such ideas.
Indeed. But then, this is a re-run of Panama, Iraq, Iran, Cuba, Libya, and other such shows. The effects of such episodes are to contribute to the overall American foreign policy. The extent of influence of that policy is more easily gauged in the USA than in other places, I think. For example, I find it difficult to believe that a 12 year old kid in Panama would know much about why the USA handles military bases along the canal, and why those bases are being shut down. However (and I have seen this), ask a 12 year old USA citizen what and why about Saddam Hussein, and he says "Bomb them all! They're murderers!" Note the hypocrisy.
Briefly, the point about Rosa Parks merely points out the "silliness" of subjective standards. According to the standard, Parks should have gone to jail. Instead, her actions ended up busting open a vault of seething, subjective psychology and helped change the standard of human value.

Of the larger portion of your paragraph, I think you're on it exactly. Now then, what is it that causes this 12 y/o to think so savagely of his human neighbors? What, for that matter, causes Uncle Wayne to retain his misogyny and hypocritical politics? They're hardly objective standards, I'll bet.

Here, again, it seems we're examining the danger of subjectivity.
Take that back!
I have to admit that Andre Serrannos' Piss Christ would not have achieved its notoriety without religion, but c'mon ... most atheists I know love the picture, either as a cathartic association or a political commentary. Nothing about it says it's necessarily good art, though. But how much of a limb can we go out on?

I'm hardly one for reserving artistic expression to the glorifying (or gorifying) of God, but I don't know a purely atheistic artist. Actually, I do know one vitriolic atheist, but I can send him bits from Rilke and he'll harrumph in support, despite the fact that they speak toward the idea of the muse. He's become more of a technician than an artist in recent years, though, as his expressions begin to fail him artistically. It's a shame ... all he has to do is admit the truth of his faith in the Muse and just get on with life and things will come much easier. For the most part, you can't tell what he admires about his art other than the fact that someone spent a lot of time and drove themselves insane for it. A result of this is best found using My Bloody Valentine as an example. An incredible amount of work, innovation, and seeming brilliance went into the Loveless album. And this labor of production becomes the testament to the album's genius. Sure, it's a good album, but it's not groundbreaking in its overt presentation. In fact, if you've ever played the video game Tekken 2, part of the song Soon is included in the soundtrack (English countryside fights). I suppose if I had a $10,000 sound system at the time of the album's release, that would be something. But it's not emotionally moving the way the Beach Boys could be (note ... I have a better cut of Smiley-Smile made by this artist-friend of mine that comprises the intended album Smile insofar as can be derived from the available material; yes, the Beach Boys are moving.)

Some of it might come from growing up in the 1980s in the United States. Crap, man ... art? Art was most definitely soulless almost across the board.

Is it art or is it commerce? What is the objective value of a thing?

Or, what happens when "inspiration" is market-driven?
Well, I have the very opposite problem, which can be seen from various threads in the Free Thoughts section.
I'll have to give that forum a better read-through.
You have actually called me a bigot in several threads. Is that not personal? I do not advocate restricting people holding certain creeds from holding public office
And I'll drive that point until I'm done with it. It's an observation which has damaged my assessment of your credibility. On the one hand, I want to just tell you to be more careful with your words and leave it at that. For instance:

• I advocate limiting all activities undertaken by people holding public office to those within the duties of that office. If a rule of holding public office means that a person can not say "All non-christian tax-payers will now pay 5% more than everyone else", that is not bigotry

Okay, now, this is a far different issue than saying religious people should not be allowed public office and then asking why the state can't be allowed such discrimination. Election to public office does not mean a forfeiture of conscience, since it is on issues of conscience that a people raise leaders through election.

Preventing the type of discrimination that British Protestants enforced against Irish Catholocism does not constitute bigotry. In fact, we have a similar phenomenon in this country whereby Christians occasionally lament that failure to raise a Christian standard above all others equals an act of discrimination against Christianity. It's bogus. But take the abortion debate, for instance. A politician's religious conscience moves him to believe that abortion should be illegal, and presses forth on the grounds that ending legal abortion will benefit society. His conscience is his conscience, but when that conscience moves him to ignore reality, the people gather in opposition. In Oregon, Christian extremists tried to put a ballot measure up that would make the state constitution officially recognize the existence of God. This is not acceptable.

• I propose that public offices should restrict people from being able to say such things.

Well, take Ashcroft and Oregon, recently. He is scrambling to find constitutional support for this issue of his conscience. People should not be allowed to die on their own terms, or in comfort, and he feels moved to this by the same God that makes classic art into pornography. Sounds extreme, doesn't he? But then again, the courts think so, too. If his religious conscience presses him to a determination of right that falls withing existing law, he has a free reign. And that is how the state stops such people. But it cannot bar them from office because of their religion.

• As it stands in Australia, our tax office allows various religious organisations to take income without paying taxes. That is flat out wrong.

In the modern day, yes. But the common idea in the US is that the religious tax-exemption was a way to keep religion out of government in an authoritarian way.

Furthermore, we have a law frequently referred to as 501(c)(3), which describes non-profit entities. While I have not yet looked through the whole of the FACT Net website, they do offer a reasonable page on the subject of 501(c)(3).

You'll find the issue near the "soft-money" debate of American political campaigns. But right now, all recognized churches save for the Church of Scientology (CoS, inc., a for-profit enterprise) fall under the 501(c)(3) umbrella. Well, I don't know about all churches, and Scientology may have some non-profit enterprises, but the most relevant point is that the churches can hide under the same banner as other non-profit entitites.

• For this reason, those who serve the people should either: publicly renounce support of any such cause; or be forced by the rules of their office to perform their duties without any preference or discrimination based on such a cause; or both.

And this is where I get my constant bigotry accusation. This cannot be achieved, and to even attempt to do so in this country, at least, seems a violation of the First Amendment, which the public servants are entitled to.

I see such a clause in the Australian Constitution, but how that is read is most likely, as in this country, a matter of the courts.

• To do otherwise is to accept on faith that they will be nice fair people, like Ashcroft.

It's a danger of electoral politics. We elected Bush, and Bush appointed Ashcroft. The Congress is not allowed to make the point of Ashcroft's faith a specific reason to decline the nomination.

• But what about freedom of speech?

The First Amendment to the United States of America protects speech, religion, and the right of free assembly. Thus ...

• In which case the person does not have to accept the duties of that public office. They are free to go flip burgers for a living.

... to make a person's religious affiliation and conscience a criterion of duty for public office is a violation of the First Amendment, which guarantees that the law allows one their conscience in their actions.

Such is also an interesting point in the Bush administration's grumbling to the world: "You are either with us or against us." I have summarized that policy in criticisms of the US by noting that You are free to not disagree with us. Just a micro/macro synchronicity.

• When was the last time you heard the USA president say "Fuck you Yasser, ya dumb goat-humper!"

There's no specific law that prevents this. However, if chronic disrespect for the world was among the electoral criteria, well, we'd never elect a politician in this country.

There are fair debates constantly going on regarding the "dignity of the office". Reagan's violations of federal law, his support of terrorists, and the possible involvement of his campaign in aiding and abetting Iranian militants in the holding of US captives did not, apparently, warrant impeachment hearings. But a blowjob apparently does ....

Why do you think Bush is so adamant about "Unlawful Combatants"? If he can evade the Constitution on this one, he will ... but therein he will make himself eligible for impeachment by specifically failing to uphold the Constitution, as he has pledged to do when taking the oath of office.

• When was the last time you heard a sergeant in the army yell "Sir, I shagged your daughter last night with a corn cob and there's not a damn thing your weeny arse can do about it!"

Well, I've never heard such, but it depends entirely on who the sergeant is talking to. If speaking to a civilian, the sergeant has an obligation to reflect a certain moral standard becoming of the dignity of the United States of America. If he's speaking to a superior ... well, you can bet there's something that superior can do about it.

• Public offices in the USA already follow codes of conduct, and they are generally for the good.

Yes, they do. But they cannot intrude on the Constitution. The Supreme Court has established reasonable boundaries for the First Amendment, but such standards of office which do not have an immediate cause are considered unacceptable.
had patriotism under my thumb (meaning figured out) many years ago, and I still don't like it.

Yes, I have read those things said by others. I must say, Tyler's idea that maybe something would just replace religion as a reason to kill is a tad pessimistic.
Perhaps a tad pessimistic, but I do think it's the strongest possibility when considering the available data.
I'm not sure about Cris's "wars are illogical." I can see the logic in wars. The logic for the wars is often quite steady. It's the logic behind the forces behind those wars that I find unstable.
Yes, and the devices invented for butchering hogs and cattle are quite logical, but the logic of the necessity of a good bacon-burger is entirely its own.

• For example, I see why the First Crusade happened. It was a good move politically. But then, it is based on the unstable logic of religion.

Yes, exactly. I can't add any more to that.

• War is generally a very productive way of lowering unemployment, boosting industry, and gaining points in political campaigns.

You forgot some. War is a very productive way of killing people, destroying economies, and ensuring future wars.

The living experience is not merely the immediate moment. Perhaps some of my complaints about objectivism come into play here: you're writing of only one side of the war, a patriotic, or at least divisive perspective.

I just don't think that we can pretend that eliminating gods will eliminate religious identification of ideas, and the bad things that come from such identities. And here we come again to the notion of the religious surrogate. It seems that people, left to their own devices, will seek solutions for their appearance of convenience. Religion, nation, ethnicity, and so forth are mere justifications for what seems to be an underlying economic decision that places human life as a mere factor in considering a higher value.

The only way to break religions is to demonstrate unequivocally their invalidity. Why do so few outside the faith take Creationism seriously? Because it has no validity, no underlying merit, and it cannot be science until it acts like science.

In the end, the only "religions" left will be the ones that directly philosophize on the unknown, such as the "Why are we here?" or "Do we actually exist?" questions. Such vital questions have been usurped and infected by religious speculation over the years, resulting in inadequate resolutions and inspiring through those poor resolutions equally poor behavior.

And this is where the problem lies, when religion intrudes into the real. In the past, it served ... reasonably well. But knowledge has far surpassed Chrisitanity, and the Christians need to accept that.

It might be fair to look at this topic as two seperate but interrelated topics. First, what happens when the Abramic experience is extincted? And then what are we looking at in terms of what's left? For instance, I don't foresee the Buddhists having that much of a problem with science and social policy. Technically, my only complaint about neo-paganism is that it has too much of a tendency to keep to itself; I've mentioned before criticism in local pagan journals of a lack of civic participation on the part of pagan individuals; it's a philosophical quandary that must be answered sooner or later. But in the end, much of what we're criticizing in the way of religion comes directly from either the Abramic experience or extinct philosophies (e.g. among pagan revivalists and reconstructionists, Roman restrictions notwithstanding, there is little interest in reviving the roving Mongol hordes or their religion). In the end, it's a matter of the underlying philosophy, and how much knowledge strips away the deified accretions. Whatever's left will remain as the vestiges of religion among people.

But the world without religion will be a natural process, else religion will simply don a new mask and slip back into the void where a lack of knowledge plagues human vitality.

thanx,

Last edited:
Nifty post

More societies without religion.

- On the small sclae, as stated, my family.

- If referring to societies as in associates of purpose and such, maybe IEEE. Drawn together as engineers.

- If referring to nations, Australia. That article you cited mentions christianity was big in rural areas in the 19th century. Now, it's really losing ground. Not many people here give a damn about religion any more, just the old folks.

- Maybe the Royal Australian Navy, a select group within a nation. Yes, there were a few religious people in there, but mostly it was irrelevent.

I think basically we have very different views of religion because it simply doesn't matter that much here. Religious hawkers are rare, few and far between (although the mormons have had a strong push lately, particularly around retirement villages). Even here at uni, with tens of thousands of people concentrated in such a small area, I can go a couple of weeks without hearing anything even vaguely religious except for on the internet or in the social studies and history departments.

Australia, Religion, and the Jedi

Well, I've never heard such, but it depends entirely on who the sergeant is talking to. If speaking to a civilian, the sergeant has an obligation to reflect a certain moral standard becoming of the dignity of the United States of America. If he's speaking to a superior ... well, you can bet there's something that superior can do about it.
Indeed. Apparently freedom of speech in the USA is already limited. Some people have more than others.

You forgot some. War is a very productive way of killing people, destroying economies, and ensuring future wars.
Yep. But for the short term gain of those involved (at the management level, not the ground-pounders), it can all be to their subjective good. Subjectivity has these politicians considering only the short term benefits they can gain, completely ignoring the long term implications.

Various points

Indeed. Apparently freedom of speech in the USA is already limited. Some people have more than others
Yeah, there are limits. The military for instance: it's long-known that different rules apply to the military than to the rest of us. Part of it is determined by necessity of office. Compared to Australia, for instance? Does that mean that should Australia ever have a military "secret" there's nothing to stop soldiers from telling whomever they meet about it? Perhaps our nuclear scientists should exercise free speech and explain to people how to build US-military grade nuclear weapon? Or maybe one of Rumsfeld's aides should pop on down to the local bar and spill our war plans to the nearest man of vaguely Middle-Eastern descent?

We could look at it as a trade-off: In order to have the right to go abroad and shoot people to death with no particular culpability, a soldier must make a sacrifice of certain rights lest culpability become an issue.

As I read about free speech law in Australia, one of the basic differences that strikes me is that in the US, speech is protected and the burden of rejection lies on those who would exscind free speech. In Australia, however, it seems that the lack of any specific free speech guarantee results in people justifying expression before the law.

Some limits of free speech in the US:

• You cannot yell, "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater when there is no fire. Deliberately creating a false panic constitutes a violation of another's right to the Pursuit of Happiness in a directly applicable manner, and, more importantly, directly subjects others to danger in the panic. Now, if people were smarter on either side of that equation, it wouldn't be problematic. But, reality being what it is, some moron will cry wolf and some other moron will trample the little old lady between him and the exit.

• We have a couple of interesting cases coming up on the east coast which will slip quietly under the radar. At least two people have been arrested in separate incidents, and being charged with something related to the war on terror. One was a man who stood in the street giving a hearty hurrah to those who struck the US on 9/11, the other was a man who publicly proclaimed that this was inevitable. The former may constitute an act of sympathy to an enemy, but only through the most convoluted constructions; we're known for sedition laws during wartime, and who knows how many old laws still hang around? The latter, though, it seems, is being charged because he was apparently starting a riot. In other words, someone got upset at him, someone hopped on the bandwagon, and instead of viewing the situation as a group of people threatening someone's right to free speech, the local authority viewed it as a provocateur attempting to create an unsafe situation. They are, as I recall, looking to the "Fire!" example, part of a Supreme Court decision on speech, to justify the danger of his actions. I'll try to dig those clippings up. But the courts will have the final say on this one, and if being critical of government policy and commenting on history become illegal, you'll see us in the streets by the thousands, even millions.

• Slander and libel are not covered by free speech. If, for instance, I were to falsely claim that you have an unnatural fondness for small boys, you could sue me in this country and "free speech" will not constitute a defense unless I provide evidence of your unnatural fondness for small boys.

• One is not allowed to threaten the President of the United States. This is a knee-jerk reaction to the Lincoln or McKinley assassination (I can't recall which) that doesn't often get dragged out except in cases of extreme desperation. MTV's The State actually took up the issue in a running sketch and didn't get the network or the producers indicted, so I don't think it's anything Americans really care about.

• Obscenity laws are a constant source of friction here.

A short list, taken from the Midwest Book Review public forum, which reminds us of the legal standard for not being free speech:
You cannot say anything you like, anywhere you like, in any manner you like, if what you say is

• Perjury
• Libel
• Fraudulent
• A lie
• Endangers health & safety (yelling fire in a crowded theater)
• Contributes to public disorder (disturbing the peace)
• A danger to national security (WWII and loose lips sink ships)
Or, if you like, the issue is so complex as to be demonstrated by this Memorandum to Free Speech Advocates at the University of Wisconsin.

Or, from the University of Washington, a communications class (C440) capsule:
We take for granted that we can speak out for or against the mayor's position on taxes, or the president's position on abortion. We know that we can publish a newspaper, write a letter to the editor, produce a show for cable access, or create a Web site on the Internet.

But in practice the First Amendment is not absolute. You cannot yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater unless there's a fire—you might cause a panic and someone might get hurt. You cannot disclose military secrets to the enemy in wartime—it might compromise our national security. You cannot play your stereo loudly at 3:00 in the morning—you might wake the neighbors. You may tell lies about others, but you may have to reimburse them for damages you cause to their reputations—sometimes millions of dollars.

What are the boundaries of free speech? In Communications C440, we will examine the laws affecting the mass media and the people who use them—viewers, listeners, and readers. This examination will include an historical overview of press freedom, a study of how the courts have attempted to reconcile competing societal interests (such as freedom to publish vs. the individual's right of privacy), and a survey of the numerous laws that affect the American press, from open meetings laws to broadcast licensing requirements.
Speech laws are very carefully considered by the courts. They must guarantee free speech while honoring the rest of the constitution, such as:
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America
The Preamble to the Constitution establishes its purpose. Free speech, pure speech, and otherwise, are defined by these criteria. Most, but not all, exceptions to the First Amendment have legitimate root in these needs. The others, the silly, sundry sedition laws and badly-written obscenity laws, crumble one by one before the courts as old assumptions are thrown out in need of a new objectivity. For instance, one of the reasons Christians often decry progress as a crumbling of morals is that the law no longer assumes beforehand the merit of Christian principle. Obscenity laws, most certainly, show this change. The standard for what is obscene is broader now than traditional post-Christian narrowmindedness. It bugs them well enough that the Marilyn Mansons and so forth are out there, but it chafes them even more now that hauling these people into courtrooms does not automatically result in a judge's excoriation of the avant-garde. It's a principle of justice so comfortable to Christians that they forget it isn't fair or, as such, legal under the Constitution. Of course, this principle predates the US itself, and becomes a colonial (Puritan) issue in the trial of Anne Hutchinson in 1636.
Mr. [John] Winthrop, Governor: Mrs Hutchinson, you are called here as one of those that have troubled the peace of the commonwealth and the churches here; you are known to be a woman that hath had a great share in the promoting and divulging of those opinions that are the cause of this trouble, and to be nearly joined not only in affinity and affection with some of those the court had taken notice of and passed censure upon, but you have spoken divers things, as we have been informed, very prejudicial to the honour of the churches and ministers thereof, and you have maintained a meeting and an assembly in your house that hath been condemned by the general assembly as a thing not tolerable nor comely in the sight of God nor fitting for your sex, and notwithstanding that was cried down you have continued the same. Therefore we have thought good to send for you to understand how things are, that if you be in an erroneous way we may reduce you that so you may become a profitable member here among us. Otherwise if you be obstinate in your course that then the court may take such course that you may trouble us no further. Therefore I would intreat you to express whether you do assent and hold in practice to those opinions and factions that have been handled in court already, that is to say, whether you do not justify Mr. Wheelwright's sermon and the petition.

Mrs. Hutchinson: I am called here to answer before you but I hear no things laid to my charge.

Gov.: I have told you some already and more I can tell you.

Mrs. H.: Name one, Sir.

Gov.: Have I not named some already?

Mrs. H.: What have I said or done?

Gov.: Why for your doings, this you did harbor and countenance those that are parties in this faction that you have heard of.

Mrs. H.: That's matter of conscience, Sir.

Gov.: Your conscience you must keep, or it must be kept for you.
Let us also point out that the presumption of propriety is so strong that, in Bowers v. Hardwick (1986), a Georgia case regarding the states' right to pass anti-sodomy laws, the majority, ruling in Georgia's favor (allowing the passage of anti-sodomy laws) had to hearken back to 15th-century English common law in order to find a precedent. (Such things as that convince me that the American Revolution failed, but that's beside the point.)

But that's about the nature of free speech laws. They're founded in religious and political freedom, and there still exist within such reactionary devices as the First Amendment many issues to be settled. We commonly ask the question, "What did the founding fathers intend?" That is, what does our Second Amendment actually mean? That guns are reserved to organized militia? Did the founding fathers have a clue that people would be running around with MAC-10's and AK-47's in the streets? Such seems against the greater wisdom, for instance, of securing the blessings of liberty, ensuring domestic tranquility, promoting the general welfare, or providing for common defense. In the same way, did the founding fathers understand what falls under "freedom of religion"? Free speech? (ad nauseam)
Yep. But for the short term gain of those involved (at the management level, not the ground-pounders), it can all be to their subjective good. Subjectivity has these politicians considering only the short term benefits they can gain, completely ignoring the long term implications.
I'd say the fundamental difference here lies in the presumption of what constitutes the subjective good. Think of it in basic terms: every four or eight years we get a new President. It is fair to ask, "What's the point?" On the one hand, policy is either carried out as a legacy obligation, or hastily-written by the current administration to escape the legacy or create a new one. Afghanistan, for instance, will require of the US somewhere near fifty years of dedicated attention and care before we can step away and be certain there will be no slide back into chaos. But while that generation rises and experiences the new way, how many times will that "new way" be recrafted, rewrought, rewrit, and otherwise retracted while the politicos talk about our benevolent efforts in Afghanistan? What, in that sense, is the point of a long-term strategy?

In this country, as you'll note, part of the Constitution's purpose is to ensure and preserve certain things "for ourselves and our posterity". That is, every once in a while, we're obliged to look beyond our own greedy selves. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen much. To hail the short-term gain of warfare as logical is to accept as a standard that nobody else matters, and to convince oneself that they never will.

You know, we do have strong considerations of posterity in Biblically-derived cultural expressions, too. Perhaps we can call that a tragedy of religions on earth: the notion that one should give a damn about anything but the immediate and the self. After all, considerations of long-term benefits, considerations of the mere future, are so illogical and inconvenient, eh?

As long as people continue to classify the world so that yesterday has no effect on today has no effect on tomorrow and continue to apply an Us/Them mentality, the short-term is the only thing we'll pursue as a human endeavor, and warfare and superstition will haunt us always. How do we separate things? How does poverty or education contribute to one decline of the human standard (e.g. drug war and its resulting violence) but not another (e.g. rise of fundamentalism among poor nations)? As long as we keep those things in their neat little boxes, they'll never mingle and present themselves in any new light.

As a last note ...
I think basically we have very different views of religion because it simply doesn't matter that much here ....
I hear you on that. I think it is, indeed, a contributing factor. I do sometimes forget, even in other debates, that I'm an American, and I can't expect anyone not American to automatically understand the twisted presuppositions of life that the American experience has lent. There's a lot of melodrama to it, but beneath that façade is a structure that, were it not for such emphasis on the self, the collective self (e.g. "America"), and the common myopia, actually makes sense.

Are we still anywhere near the topic? ;)

thanx,

Last edited:
Cris said:
All major religions were created in ancient times when real knowledge of the universe was unknown.

Man has an insatiable curiosity and is usually unsatisfied with the answer ‘unknown’. He tends to insist on some form of a positive answer even if it is speculation.

The more imaginative types invented many explanations for why things happen and these speculations formed the basis for the religions we see today.

All major religions are based on fantasy speculations from a time when ignorance of the universe was widespread. People simply didn’t have answers but needed something to satisfy their curiosity. And if some answers made them feel happy then that seemed quite acceptable.

For example the answer and popular myth that when you die you go to a paradise, is a wonderful morale booster for those whose life in ancient times was pretty miserable, and when life expectancy rarely exceeded 25.

When these archaic institutions based on ancient fantasies try to survive in a modern scientific world there is bound to be conflict.

The only real solution is to educate those who still believe in the ancient myths and move them forward into a world based on reason and sanity.

As science increases our knowledge of the universe then the place for superstitions and ignorance diminishes. Religions are slowly dying except perhaps for Islam whose peoples still live in environments more typical of 1000 years ago. An enormous effort should be made to re-educate these largely ignorant and indoctrinated peoples.

A world without religion implies that everyone has learnt to think rationally and that means no more wars, since wars are illogical.

Cris

Dear Cris,
Interesting points... I'm writing to you in the hope that you might have some suggestions of sources etc concerning humanity's living under the awareness of death. For example, do Christians/Atheists live life because of some form of karmic retribution and if so what would the repercussions of this motivation be? Indeed, if humankind were to not hold such a perception, then would the reality of death not also hold an influence over their living as if there were not any form of justice, there would not be any restrictions in 'morality'.
If you should have any suggestions concerning the motivations of our living under the awareness of death, I would be eternally grateful!
Yours faithfully,
Richard Thompson.

Cris said:

Cris

Dear Cris,
Interesting points... I'm writing to you in the hope that you might have some suggestions of sources etc concerning humanity's living under the awareness of death. For example, do Christians/Atheists live life because of some form of karmic retribution and if so what would the repercussions of this motivation be? Indeed, if humankind were to not hold such a perception, then would the reality of death not also hold an influence over their living as if there were not any form of justice, there would not be any restrictions in 'morality'.
If you should have any suggestions concerning the motivations of our living under the awareness of death, I would be eternally grateful!
Yours faithfully,
Richard Thompson. (richard.thompson1@yorksj.ac.uk)

tiassa said:
An interesting question: How would the world be without religion?

In general

I think that the primary result of the extinction of religion would be a localizing of greeds. That is, greed, desire born through comparison to another, would lose its abstract edge and become a hardwired part of the logical structure.

They say politics makes strange bedfellows, and it's true. Down the left aisle in the United States, we have abstract and myopic compassion; down the right aisle we have abstract and myopic greed. In reality, neither concept in purity suffices. Human nature dictates against purity. Nonetheless, each side tries to outdo the other at the other's game. Hence, on the liberal left in this country you have the ACLU pushing on behalf of the KKK and "pro-life" Christians advocating the death penalty. In either case, each side insists that it is right and takes their case all the way to the abstract paradigm--e.g. God--in search of justification.

Within the religious justifications there seems to be a theme of dominion. In the plainest cases I hold with the liberalizing, and that should be pointed out up front. Nonetheless, an examination of this theme of dominion proves interesting. In Oregon, religious folk do battle with the non-religious over whether gays should be allowed to participate in society. Clinging to a chance at victory, the left raises the liberal religious folk who have discarded the specific symbols of faith and appeal to the evangelical message of the religious right--love and justice. In such cases, if I cling to the left it's because more people are free the way I do it. I mean, I well understand that one feels as if they cannot hate another, but the simple fact is that you can feel what you want, and enacting that sentiment is subject to laws.

I think a lot of this kind of the dominion fight will go away when we purge society of religions. Without God, there is no notion that God commands. But will this do away with the other themes of dominion over which the political spectrum dances? Will an absence of God also reduce currency to its proper function in assistance of the human endeavor? What will temper lucre against its assumption that currency is the purpose of the human endeavor? Will an absence of God mean people will finally get their heads out and cough up for the schools the way they will any half-brained development plan with a result you can mark in a financial ledger?

The current issue of Rolling Stone has an article on the Drug War, in which a guy named Dave Becker, expressing anger on behalf of US policy, reminds a Colombian farmer that, "You have no right to complain." A glance at Plan Colombia shows that the US's participation has little to do with assisting the farmers in making a choice to not grow coca and more to do with establishing a technical and military presence in South America. Results? A growing resentment against the US, legtitimate (non-coca) crops being destroyed by US-paid mercenaries, chemical spraying of fields, schools, crops, churches, ad nauseam ... And apparently the locals have no right to complain because they would not sign a paper declaration of allegiance to the United States government (we can't even make our own people do that). Plan Colombia is a known failure, but how will an absence of God reduce this kind of idiocy?

Will an absence of God mean an absence of violence in the world's poorest quarters? Or does that absence of God also come with an absence of poverty, inequity, injustice, and otherwise?

In the case of Islamic fundamentalists, are we really going to pretend that an extinction of God will solve the problems which compel people to claim God as their ally and go to war? Or will they find some other superstition (e.g patriotism) to wave as their colors?

To consider the world without religion doesn't create a happy picture at all. People will still be driven by their fears of the unknown, and as we've seen in the US, that fear can manifest itself in the form of racism, nationalism, even the silly high-school rivalry that everyone chuckles at until Billy gets killed speeding away with the other team's enraged mascot in the back of his dad's Caravan.

To look at the situation with no transition from slave to godless, that is, to consider the situation in terms of a natural condition whereby superstition never took religious form, we still have a number of divisions to undertake. The subjectivity of diversity, for instance. Is the only way around this problem to eliminate diversity?

The point being that people will always find their reasons to disagree.

I admit that religions are generally muddying factors when it comes to resolving human conflict, but no amount of moral stricture from any religion has created a godly society. And where religious folk would point to Communism as an atheist failure, no matter how erroneous such approaches are, there lies within them a kernel of cold truth. The objective considerations being made, the obstacle between progress and the present was _____ (fill in a victim). One cannot say that our "godless" attempts at the social order have been any less prone to subjectivity, and thus that they are any less prone to screwing up.

Can any amount of objective education, any tidal wave of information actually change the human habit to render complex issues into abstract representations? That is, can a godless world prevent people from inventing concepts and abstractions that eventually become anthropomorphized and deified? There is a certain philosophical consideration of purpose which infects everyone from time to time. "God" is an ad-hoc proposition as we seek an actual solution, regardless of what the believers believe.

Religion is a comfort against a certain insecurity that comes from broader ideas. Why are we here? (Some say it doesn't matter.) What is justice? What is right or wrong? Is she faking the orgasm?

How, except for actually answering such questions, do we prevent such issues from arising?

Odd World

Would it be enough, then, if everything were utilitarian? That is, even our luxuries take the form of necessity? What is this world that people presently strive toward? What will it look like when we get there?

From religion, I'm seeing a paring down of intangible factors until the only acceptable intangible is the intangible superstition of "the mainstream". It is hardly bitterness or simple attrition bringing about such a reduction, but necessity. From the myth of acting based on what God wants we have the next-largest idea, proposed for the sake of argument to be the idea of State and Identity. That is, after being a Christian, atheist, witch, Buddhist, you-name-it, one becomes an American, a Canadian, a Briton, Japanese, Mexican, German, Australian ....

People act on these myths, too. Would a godless world vilify these myths? What of the difference 'twixt man and woman? Skin color? Eye shape? Really--how can you shake society out of its thing about subtleties like eyes and skin?

Maybe in an MTV, Britney-infected, commercial world such objectivity as would be required to shake such myths seems attractive. But what of the expressive and artistic endeavors? What happens when the associations that make you enjoy a song are reduced to myth?

And what could drive such a reduction? Greed? The want of dominion and wealth in lack of any other goals? To what does the human endeavor subscribe? Is the unique self-awareness that is integral to human nature somehow allow us to step out of nature on that count? To decide that such awareness is not an evolutionary tool of the living endeavor but is, instead, the purpose for existence?

And here I'll tip my authorly hand ... one of the larger components of the project that is slowly infecting every aspect of my creative life is the possibility of an exploratory narrative theorizing on what happens when you put a primitive people in charge of space-age technology with little or no "civilized" restraint. Admittedly, I'm optimistic in the confines of my own project--I have to be in order for the tie-in to exist. But in the larger question, when we get down to a lack of myth, what establishes decency, right and wrong, or any other such notion? Will the death of gods really prevent human beings from finding subjective reasons to posit as truth and exploiting others?

Myths in danger:

• Equal rights/protection under the law
•*Pursuit of happiness (caprice and aspiration)
• Associations of expression
• State
• Individuality
• Self-determination

(And that's the short list.)

In theory, I admit, a godless world sounds preferable. But the practical nature of bringing it about, and of human nature in the face of such an odd existence, speaks volumes against it. The image it creates is well enough if we stop at a certain degree, but there is no objective precedent of human will or capability to start and stop en masse.

See, I'm willing to bet that in the space of two or three carelessly-placed phrases, I could indoctrinate a child into the "church" of "Lady Liberty" (e.g. the Statue of Liberty and the "America" she represents).

And at some point, in this theoretically-godless world, we will have rid ourselves of those who would consciously twist the minds and morals of the individual, but what of those who accidentally taint the objective world? What of those who are too stupid to understand that partisan compliance is a myth in and of itself?

So, what would it be?

I'd say it would be an extremely boring world on one hand, soulless in the sense of the human relationship to art and other abstract expressions of itself, and hideously authoritarian even if not by design.

We could poll everyone and say, "Where do you stop?" I guarantee you that every one of those answers would fall short of what a godless world will look like.

Watch the drug war in the US and abroad. When American mouths are talking and you know they're not speaking the truth, ask yourself what it is that allows you and others to disagree? Where does objectivity stop being a condition and start being a demand? That is, how many times can the US go in with the idea that they know all beforehand and things had better go the way they're planned, or else?

Now, not the drug war itself, but there is something about its cold objectivity coupled with its restriction of what counts as valid data. Ask the average American voter about prisons, they'll tell you all sorts of things but the one thing they won't tell you is that all the effort against violent crime has resulted in a worsening of the effect. When they see potheads getting 25-year sentences for possessing a joint and the local crack-dealing, gun-running, child-raping pimp turned out the front door of the precinct after 24 hours for lack of resources, they start to get the picture. But then it becomes about getting the violent criminals also. There is always a mythical presumption that right is and always has equaled one thing and wrong is and always has equaled another.

So if we can pick out consistency in that sense, how odd will our world look when the Consistent is the god of all wisdom? What will happen to the statistical deviations?

Times change. Chief among the public challenges to L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time in recent years are lesbianism, witchcraft, and Communism. (In my youth, incidentally, it was witchcraft, anti-authoritarianism, and unchaperoned boy-girl adventures.)

What's really funny about that, though, is that the book hasn't changed. In fact, at its release, Wrinkle seemed staunchly anti-communist, reducing the villain to something named "IT" ("it") and depicting a Utopiate in which children played in rhythm, there was never an aberration, and fear slipped through the streets like. In the modern day, the nearest I can think of to suit the charges of fostering communism are a simplistic rendering of the name IT (into "I.T."--informational technologies) and an absolutely creepy sense of automation that is becoming cannon fodder for American and British comedians, pundits, and sages. I must admit that, reading the books over a decade later, I found some credibility in the sense of I.T. Of course, I might as well tack on here that while I do not credit anyone envisioning such a soulless and lackluster world as Utopia, such a vision becomes instantly possible when you start wiping out the subjectivities.

Start with the big myths, and work down:

• God
•*Human race/species
• Ethnicity
• Nationality
• Culture
•*Identity
• Individuality

Throw whatever you want on there in any order. At some point, all the myths will fall because they are objectively too expensive to permit.

Other considerations

I think Cris has some insight on the illogic of warfare. And it ties into what I'm after. I hardly think of warfare as a good thing, but think of how much of human warfare finds its justification in subjective horsepucky. Quite frankly, all of it does.

And science does increase our knowledge, as mentioned. But how much of that knowledge will be present? In order for religion itself to die out naturally, the human species will have to answer a good number of questions that are a thousand generations at least beyond our capabilities. All things told, when knowledge of the human purpose arises to usurp the gods, well, then we'll have a world without religion.

The first key is the Abramic religions. These are the biggest thorn in the paw. There is, unfortunately, no demonstrable way to work around them

But, truly, I think Judaism will eventually pass from this world by its own volition. What, with Israel fueling the anti-Semitic fire, Islamic fundamentalists making a war issue out of religion, and American Christians daily becoming less and less relevant to the challenges facing their own communities, I don't think the next century will be kind to any of these three faiths. The Buddhists I'll leave alone until it comes down to it, and other religions will either assimilate or meet the force of an objective odd-world which has shown that not even fear of eternal punishment is enough to make it behave decently.

I think of how important people make cultural heritage. In the odd-world, it will be vital to teach your child to identify with and as nothing as early as possible.

I mean, at some point, everybody will have to just write down their most personal hatred in the world and throw it into the hopper. Call it a myth, strike it down. Crap, in my town, school funding doesn't have an objective enough result to bank on.

The godless world, if grafted from the one we have now, would be an odd world. Of more graceful adaptations--it's a couple of generations at least before it would officially start. Of one in concept, having never had "gods" ... I assure all that humanity would have found something worth staking its everything on.

Cinnamon gelato? Why not?

A world without religion seems nice, but its practical embodiment doesn't seem quite so simple. And its result is hardly guaranteed.

thanx,

Dear Tiassa,
I hope you don't mind my asking but i'm searching for any information regarding the motivations of humanity living under the notion of death. For example what are the repercussions of Christians etc living under the notion of some form of karmic retribution and inturn, what are the repercussions of Atheists living without this motivation? If you have any ideas, cite/book recomendations I'd be eternally grateful!!
Yours faithfully,
Richard Thompson.
(richard.thompson1@yorksj.ac.uk)

All of your comments upon Religious Atrocities are actually reductable to Ethnic and Racial violence which has been actually mitigated by Religious influences.

To understand whether Religion truly helps or hurts, you must eliminate ethnic and racial war from the equation and look at Religion's influence in simple homogenous cultures. We can look at Pre-Religious Primitive Societies that are ethnically and racially uniform and find that without Religion the Warrior Ethic dominates -- all the men are effectively raping thieves. Alliances of convenience are set up, but they are fragile. Essentially, without Religion, each man is enemy to all other.

What is Civilization, afterall, but this same Primitive Order with the superimposition of Religion which makes the cooperations of Society possible. Alliances of convenience must be replaced by alliances of moral conviction which only come with Religion.

Back