How we think

Quantum Quack

Life's a tease...
Valued Senior Member
From what I have observed it strikes me that the physical nature of how we think is actually quite simple to describe but hard to understand.

Basically the act of thinking is a binary (or more) muscle system.

A system of "Clenching", "Holding", and "letting go"

When a neron fires it causes the surrounding muscle to clench ( impossible to see)

the neuron holds the muscle clenched until it's purpose is fullfilled then it allows the muscle to unclench or let go. The brain consists of billions of muscle groups. The cerebrum is primarilly in it's convoluted shape to help facilitate this clench hold and let go function efficiently.

The brain is basically a very efficient and complex muscle computer.

Tranquilisers soften this ability.

Out ability to feel this clenching, holding and letting go is our sensation of thinking or doing something with our minds "brains"

For example you have decided to go shopping. You have clenched and held on to the idea and therefore you remember what it is you are going to do.

You finally get to the shops and in relief at achieving your objective you let go of the need to get there as you have arrived. The sensation is " I am where I wanted to be" ( which is also a clenching and letting go )

The feelings we feel in our brain are actually demonstrated by outcome rather than action of the brain itself.

One of the main reflexes that tends me to think this is when you place a finger in the hand of a new born child. The new born child's hand immediately clenches on the finger. ( an primary act of thinking ??)

The act of talking is given because we recognise and clench and hold on to what we want to say and having said it let go.

Memory disfunction is the inability to clench and hold properly and feel this action.
Mental disorder is when the patient is unable to let go of something he has clenched and held on to. Anti psychotic drugs attempt to relax this problem of not letting go of strong clenching.

I am not sure how original this theory is and it is only my observations (that I am holding onto)

Any input would be welcome

Billions of muscle groups? I think you're using the wrong terms here. The neuron doesn't clench anything...it just recieves and forwards an electrical signal causing a chain reaction. How the neuron decides to fire or not is still pretty much not understood but it happens and from that stems decisions, thoughts, actions etc etc.

Memory disfunction is the inability to clench and hold properly and feel this action.

Memory disfunction results from damage to the appropriate, related areas of the brian....i.e STM damage results from damage to the Hippocampus. Memories are supressed in times of great shock and horror to limit damage to the brain. People can go into shock and stop talking or become stationary because the mind has gone into lockdown to prevent death from mental stress.

One of the main reflexes that tends me to think this is when you place a finger in the hand of a new born child. The new born child's hand immediately clenches on the finger. ( an primary act of thinking ??)

From what I recall that is a reaction a new born has, a survival feature...not neccessarily a thinking function even though new borns are thinking at some level at birth.

The cerebrum is primarilly in it's convoluted shape to help facilitate this clench hold and let go function efficiently.

Again, I doubt it works the way you are describing it or you just maybe using different terms. There is no muscle clenching to my knowledge...electrical and chemical signals is what I have heard of.

Sargentlard, I too have only heard what you have quoted.

As you may agree when they say the brain goes in to shock and shuts down what do they mean? Does the brain just stop sending information a sort of paralysis.

How does the brain stop sending information...etc etc...many many unanswered question yes?

To me the brain shuts down because it cramps. The muscles involved can't cope with the overload and simply cramp up suspending muscle movement thus puting the person in a state of mental paralysis. IN a crisis the neurons have been shown to be firing in fact firing more that usual but the patiant's thoughts are virtually suspended while the brain tries to manage the overload.

Cramping is normally a result of severe muscle fatigue and when the brain gets over tired it cramps thus suspending function until the person rests adequately.

Just exploring this idea a little.

The Docs really don't know how the brain functions and maybe they are trying to hard to complicate a fundementally simple system or systems

The reason I ask this is that I am sometimes amazed that even though we know so little about the brain we are prepared to negate any ideas that may come along.

Just because I can not at present provide proof of any theories veracity doesn't mean that exploration is futile.

To ask you to prove me wrong is of no use and I would not do so as to ask this is counter productive to discussion.

I would however ask what alternative views their may be and hopefully learn what the limits of our current ideas are.

Quantum Quack said:
John are you able to tell me why the brain can't be comprised of many muscles?

Yes because we know very well what muscles are and what they do. Also we know what they look like in terms of structure. We have through history, operated and exhumed many brains before and we know they are composed of cells called neurons which are not myofibrous and are not conractile. I have proposed another theory for memory retention (a long time ago) in this forum involving a 'capacitor-like' system where neurons could act like tiny capacitors to store information. A couple of people didn't like it though from what I remember :rolleyes:

Quantum Quack said:
As you may agree when they say the brain goes in to shock and shuts down what do they mean? Does the brain just stop sending information a sort of paralysis.

It stops some normal expected functions such as speech or movement loss. The results are different from case to case. Some childern stop talking at young age after suffering trauma or some adults just go to a lifeless stage after suffering shock. Most important functions remain i.e breathing, blood pressure, organ functions but even then it all really depends from person to person and the severity of what they went through.

How does the brain stop sending information...etc etc...many many unanswered question yes?

Neuron activity is still a huge mysterious phenomenon.

To me the brain shuts down because it cramps. The muscles involved can't cope with the overload and simply cramp up suspending muscle movement thus puting the person in a state of mental paralysis. IN a crisis the neurons have been shown to be firing in fact firing more that usual but the patiant's thoughts are virtually suspended while the brain tries to manage the overload.

Like John pointed out; the brian isn't composed of billions of different muscle groups. The brain itself is sort of a muscle composed of mainly fatty tissue. It doesn't harbor billions upon billions of different muscles.

Cramping is normally a result of severe muscle fatigue and when the brain gets over tired it cramps thus suspending function until the person rests adequately.

Well some patients of shock and trauma never recover, some bounce out of it. It all depends on the amount of damage.

The Docs really don't know how the brain functions and maybe they are trying to hard to complicate a fundementally simple system or systems

The basics of brain functions are known...why the basics work the way they do...that remains to be solved.

Back