How to judge someone have a good future?

iamguyu

Registered Member
How to judge someone have a good future? God, please answer me.

I am a computer programmer. These days, a lot of my colleagues left for other companies. The reason they left is for more salary, more famous companies, and higher position. I'm wandering, is that the best way for a person to improve his/her life quality? I thought if I am a glod, I will shine eventually. But now, I think I'm a stone. I'll stay wherever I can stay. Does everyone think so? Please tell me what you think about this. :(

Last edited:
You don't say how old you are. I'm not sure you understand all the different things in life that can make a person happy or sad. As important as your job is, it's only one of the major factors in your life. Others include your family, your hobbies, your community, and your religion if you have one.

If your family life isn't happy, or isn't complete, or perhaps you don't even have a family, then it doesn't matter how much satisfaction you get from your job, your life won't feel complete. And vice versa. You may have the most wonderful wife and children on earth, but if your job sucks you'll feel like something is terribly wrong.

But back to the job. Some people like change. Some people like stability. You have to know which type you are before you can answer your question. I stayed in one job for 28 years. When I started out it was a pretty enjoyable job, but toward the end it wasn't so great. Still, I appreciated the stability, knowing that I didn't have to worry about being fired and having to look for a new job. Yet I finally left, and even thought I've had a lot of hard times and a lot of uncertainty, people tell me that I seem to be happier than I used to be because the work I do now is more meaningful.

Don't spend too much energy analyzing the lives of the other people you know. Try to understand yourself. Do you appreciate stability, or do you like the excitement of uncertainty? Do you like to stay with one thing and try to make it better, or do you prefer moving on to something else and hoping that it will start out better?

In addition to understanding how you feel about your career in general, you should also examine the rest of your life. The way you talk about your job, the words you use, the questions you ask... it makes me wonder whether other things are on your mind besides your job. Take a good look at your home life and decide whether something is happening there that is just as important as your job. If it is, then be sure to expend sufficient energy on it. Don't put all your energy into your job. It is not the only thing in your life.

I might as well close by telling you the same thing I tell everyone here: If you don't have a dog, get one. If you have one, spend more time with him. Dogs make life better. That's why they were the first non-human animal that we invited to share our lives.

Write back. We care.

iamguyu said:
I thought if I am a glod, I will shine eventually.

Has "eventually" arrived already for you? I mean, you didn't say how old you are or whether you're married or ...nothing. If you're young, you have a long, long ways to go until "eventually" arrives.

One thing that's difficult for most people to accept is that they're completely and totally INSIGNIFICANT in the broad view of things. If you don't think so, think about all of those people that you've known who were good at their jobs, highly respected and seeminly irreplaceable ....and then they die. How many companies have failed because of such a person dying? Ditto for those who just leave the company for some reason. Does the company fold? No, of course not. And when the company keeps right on going, what does that say about the people who left? ...indispensable? ...irreplaceable? Nope!

In the grand scheme of things, you ain't nothin' ...not even nothin'. You seem to be learning that lesson a bit early in life, too young. That lesson should sink in sometime around 45 or so ...that's when you have a wife, home, cars, high debts, kids going to college, more high debts, .....and you're trapped, you can't get out even if you wanted to. See?

Save you're money, invest wisely and retire early. It's wonderful, believe me.

Baron Max

'Computer Programmers' are a dime a dozen. If you want to improve your quality of life in the industry, you have two options:

1) Move into management.
2) Start your own business

I'm telling you this because I'm on a similar path and have thought a lot about it myself. Companies need good managers who understand how to program. On the other hand, if you can get a strong business off the ground you're pretty much set for life. (I'm going the business route myself)

Company loyalty is obsolete. No matter how good or loyal you are, the minute you become a liability is the minute they can your ass.

When are you god damn yanks going to realise that bigger and better does not nessecarily mean it will happen or improve.

Back