How to do a color test?

Secret

Registered Senior Member
You may have heard of or had hearing tests before (to check one's audible range)

Is there an optical equilivent?
If yes what are the equipments?

Cause I'd like to know how broad is my color vision

Color perception is not only about range, from infrared to ultraviolet, but also about sensitivity to the subtlty of colors and colors within colors.

For example, if you compared lemon yellow to sunset yellow, the first is a yellow with a tiny amount of green added, while the second is yellow with a tiny amount of red added. If we increased color sensitivity even more, we may compare sunset yellow to tequilla sunrise yellow. Both use yellow and red, but in different proportions.

Finally, the most demanding test has to do with color formulating and matching, where you can not only tell what colors are in the blend, their relative proportions, but also guess the correct amounts. When this guess is blended together as an experiment, the tangible resuult will verify your sensitivity to color or its bias.

With audio, we might begin by first testing the range of audio frequencies from subwoofer to super tweater (10-20,000hz.). If you have access to the entire range, you might be asked to pick out specific frequencies from a blend, such as the baseline from a rock and roll song, which has many instruments sounds also playing. The last test is more for the trained musician, who can not only pick out the baseline, but also tell you the chords and notes. He demonstrates this on his bass guitar. If the final result sounds exactly right he is a sound expert.

The light or sound frequency range test is about natural hardware. The other more subtle tests benefit from practice and knowledge of distinctive sounds and colors when they are blended; mind software.

You may have heard of or had hearing tests before (to check one's audible range)

Sure, there are several standard tests for that that are in common use. While not specifically geared toward range, that's certainly included as part of tests. They're called "color-blind" tests and check your sensitivity to the full visible spectrum.

You might be interested to know that color-blindness is actually fairly common. The colors/hues that people have the most difficulty with are brown, green and yellow.

The most common test of color vision is the series of pseudoisochromatic plates known as the Ishihara test. Here is an online version of it:

http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

However, the purpose of this test in to identify people with color vision abnormalities rather than to measure the extent or sensitivity of a person's color vision.

The Farnsworth Munsell 100 hue test is probably the closest thing to what you're after.

You could go into the Colors menu in your Microsoft Paint app, define some custom colors, and then see how similar they can be with you being able to see the difference. I've read that typical human vision can distinguish 20 million colors!

By range i mean the wavelengths

Just as hearing test check your audible range in terms of frequencies

Is it possible to check which range of wavelengths of light your can see or not?

The reason of this is that some people can see slightly into the uv or ir and i'd like to see whether i can see these two colors or not

Though the color sensitivity test is also useful, thanks!

Back