How is the genetic information in DNA translated into protein?

Jhiizee

Registered Member
Hey if yall could help me out on this id really appreciate it. Its a question i have to answer for my biology class and i have no clue what shes talking about

please don't take my post as a commant to detour from the discussion thread. It was my way at smiling that we have a topic about the proteome.

It really stinks me off when someoone posts a suggestion to go read a book. Discussion Threads are meant to be a meeting place. You spread your propaganda and you read the lies, or perhaps you ask stupid questions. Maybe the thread starter doesn't want to read a book. That's OK.

I think I spend 1/2 my reading and posting time to moderating jerks.

back to the topic: DNA to Protein....A DNA strand unzips itself, and a matching RNA strand matches up to the exposed DNA strand.

To make a long story short, mRNA leaves and travels to a different cell. Some other zipping and unzipping occurs. Amino acids are linked together by peptide bonds, eventually forming a protein.

If someone else can paint a prettier picture...whip out your canvas and conte.

I won't get into the mechanics of the enzymes involved and such, but what happens is this:

1) DNA is transcribed into mRNA in the nucleus. There are particular codons that the enzymes are looking for that begin the transcription.

2) The mRNA travels to, and attaches itself to a ribosome, which is either free floating in the cytosol or attached to the RER. There, the nucleotides are read from the start codon, in three letter sections, each of which code for a particular amino acid (some amino acids have multiple codons that code for them).

3) tRNA brings amino acids from the surrounding cytosol to the ribosome, and attach them in the order coded by the mRNA.

4) The amino acids are bonded together by peptide bonds, like proteome said. They are in a long linear chain, which is the primary conformation. The conformation to secondary structure is usually spontaneous, based on the interactions between the amino acids within the polypeptide. However, when going to the tertiary and quarternary conformations, there are usually larger proteins called chaperones that assist in the folding.

This is a rough outline. For more details, just ask. I don't know what grade level it's for, but I, or someone else here, can extrapolate for you if there isn't enough detail.

It's the proteome the sews the rewards/costs of the genome

I find fascinating the cascading affect of a single letter coding mistake.

:)

As a tutor I get really miffed when students want to be told all the answers without even bothing to try themselves first. I insist that they have all the material read before coming to an appointment. Hence my reply.

ya im usually a good student and im here to refine my ideas. I would like to have the mechanics of genetic programing down some day dispite the fact that im never going to use it as my main interest in political science and economics.

Back