how, i don't know, do you?

Leviticus

Banned
Banned
ok i got really lost about this. can someone please tell me.

in genes, is there an actual timer that says when a person will die (say after 90 years or something?) or is death the result of merely cell breakdown by oxygen degredation (if you assume that you dont die of disease, becasue thats no fun)
anyone?? :confused:

It's one of the theories of aging.

"Inside the nucleus of virtually all of our cells are chromosomes, 46 in all. At the tips of these chromosomes are telomeres, repeating sequences of genetic material that shorten each time a cell divides. Cell division is important because many cells in our body (e.g., those that line our digestive tract) must be replaced over time. When a cell's telomeres reach a critically short length, however, that cell can no longer replicate. Its structure and function begins to fail, and ultimately, the cell dies. Some have likened the process of telomere shortening to a genetic biological clock that winds down over time. Today, researchers continue to probe the telomeric "timepiece," hoping to better understand the aging process and fight diseases, particularly cancer."

It is of course, a mixture of the two. telomere length will tell u how long u will ultimately (or ideally) survive but after that, cell metabolism and many other factors decide how much of that period will ACTUALLY be spent alive!!!

also scientists are working for some years now on the problem of strenghtening the ends of telomeres in order for the cells to be able to devide a lot more times than originally (read: allow humans live longer)

Another factor is the number of heart beats: it is supposed that mammal hearts are made to beat a certain number of times, and then they can't beat anymore. Of course, it depends on the way the organism lives, the quality of food, stress etc.
But: fast hearts die soon, slow hearts die late.

nowadays it's not really hard to change the heart from a donor
and I think that pretty soon internal organs will be growed as is from stem cells in labs

RosaMagika said:
Another factor is the number of heart beats: it is supposed that mammal hearts are made to beat a certain number of times, and then they can't beat anymore. Of course, it depends on the way the organism lives, the quality of food, stress etc.
But: fast hearts die soon, slow hearts die late.

In that case people who exercise are more likely to die younger and Dr. Atkins was right :D

John Connellan said:
In that case people who exercise are more likely to die younger and Dr. Atkins was right :D

With the complication that the heart rate during rest goes down in people that exercise compared to those who don't. We then should make a complicated calculation. I can't be bothered.

Telomeres say when a cell will die, timing by how many replications the cell makes, but I know of no clock that determine when a person will die. A estimate on when they die can be made though: for example we could say well this person will likely get heart disease in there 50-60, this person is likely to get a cancer by his 30’s, ect.

It also appears that almost every animal's genetic material is prefixed by an approximately equal number of telomeres, once these are depleted important information begins to be lost from the exposed chromosomes, spontaneous amalgamation of their ends occur and such damage cannot be repaired, the cell will die without further replication. As larger numbers of cells approach this stage signs of aging appear. The rate at which these telomeres are used up depends on how often a cell replicates, that is where te obvious link to matabolism occurs, the faster we live the more often our cells die and must be replaced. Consider the size of any given species/it's relative heart rate and the average time for which it lives.

After-thought: Of-course the measured time we spend concious is not proportional to the observed time, the slower our metabolism the more apathetic our perception becomes. The opposite is also true, think about a past 'fight-or-flight' situation, i.e. when your body has released a lot of adrenalin, didn't time seem to flash past?...I'm not sure whether i've just disproved what i'm about to say but i heard somewhere that any animal living to it's natural age will have persieved to have lived the same amount of time as any other animal.

Here's some interesting information regarding mice and telomeres, spuriousmonkey:

Mice, as it happens, have very long telomeres, and the first two generations of mice that lacked the telomerase template gene were unaffected by its lack.

DePinho and his colleagues have now bred third- to sixth-generation mice, with progressively shorter telomeres, and in these mice, especially as they age, short telomeres are a problem.

The third-generation mice developed gray hair, male pattern baldness and erosive skin lesions considerably more often than normal mice of the same age. The sixth generation mice that lacked telomerase displayed these symptoms at an earlier age, going gray at the age of 3 months.

On the other hand, the hearts, livers and kidneys of the mice were normal, and they did not develop thinning of the bones or cataracts.

As to life span, the first to fifth generation mice that lacked telomerase lived as long as normal mice, 50 percent of them living for 24 months. Only in the sixth generation mice, with critically short telomeres, was life span affected; half of these mice were dead at 18 months.

An obvious pattern in these results is that the tissues that demand a steady proliferation of cells -- like skin and hair -- or that need to regenerate under stresses -- like a wound healing -- are the ones that are jeopardized by short telomeres.

A second important finding is that the mice with short telomeres have a higher incidence of cancer, suggesting that short telomeres can destabilize the cell and initiate tumors.

The question now is what relevance do these findings have to aging and cancer in humans. On this point there is a wide range of opinion.

~ http://www.ou.edu/cas/zoology/Courses/3333/sci-immortal-cells.html

Back