How does the swim bladder of a fish work ?

RationalityUnleashed

Unleasher of logic
Registered Senior Member
I've always understood that the swim bladder of a fish works by taking in gas, inflating the swim bladder and the overall volume of the fish while keeping the mass fairly constant, decreasing specific gravity.

When the gas is reabsorbed into the blood stream the bladder deflates, and increases specific gravity again.

Is that right or is there more to it ?

I've always understood that the swim bladder of a fish works by taking in gas, inflating the swim bladder and the overall volume of the fish while keeping the mass fairly constant, decreasing specific gravity.

When the gas is reabsorbed into the blood stream the bladder deflates, and increases specific gravity again.

That is essentially it.

Apparently, the swim bladder is somewhat different in various species of fish. :)

Burping and Puncturing

When certain fish are brought up from depths greater than 40 feet too quickly, their swim bladders, which normally control buoyancy, can overinflate from rapid depressurization. Burping is a technique used on a fish with an overinflated swim bladder. The fish is massaged in the belly region in an attempt to release the excess air in the swim bladder. Puncturing involves using a needle or ice pick to poke a hole in the fish's exposed swim bladder. Both of these techniques are currently being advocated in other parts of the country. However, if the procedure is not carried out correctly, more damage than good may be done to the fish.

The success of burping depends on the species of fish. Some fish, such as largemouth bass, perch, striped bass, cod, hake, and black sea bass, do not have a connection from their gut to their swim bladder. If a fish's gut is not connected to its swim bladder, then burping is impossible. Puncturing is a very controversial technique. To date, there is no evidence that puncturing will increase a fish's chance of survival.

The best advice for releasing fish with overinflated swim bladders is to let them go as quickly as possible.

http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/factsheets/catch-release_fs.html

I was raised among a culture that does not advocate 'sport fishing.' When a fish 'offers' itself by being caught, the gift is meant to be respected.

Take only what you need.
Use all that you take. :)

Back