How does mixing different religious traditions cause sectarianism?

wynn

˙
Valued Senior Member

Having chosen our tradition and our daily practices we should rely upon them single-pointedly, never allowing dissatisfaction to arise. At the same time as cherishing our own tradition we should respect all other traditions and the right of each individual to follow the tradition of their choosing. This approach leads to harmony and tolerance. It is mixing different religious traditions that causes sectarianism. This is why it is said that studying non-religious subjects is less of an obstacle to our spiritual progress than studying religions of different traditions.

Source

"It is mixing different religious traditions that causes sectarianism."

- How would you explain that?

Seeing different solutions to the same thoughts that people have about life and death might lead one to question their own beliefs. Of course they have to get past the idea that their beliefs might not be right, and some people have trouble with that first step.

Seeing different solutions to the same thoughts that people have about life and death might lead one to question their own beliefs. Of course they have to get past the idea that their beliefs might not be right, and some people have trouble with that first step.

I think you are spot on . Acceptance of other religious ideas is paramount in my opinion. To Me there are bits and pieces of the same truth in all religion . Consider this : Evey body wants the same thing . The four basic needs of human survival . I will name them so there is no mistake in what they are , for lots of people die every day from not having one of the 4 , ; 1 Water 2 Air 3 Food 4 Shelter
I know people try to stick in there own pet peeve. Like save my soul La ,La , La or a big screen T.V. or a 57 Chevel with a white rag top roof you can put down for the summer.
The other thing people want is to be able to do is take care of there family. The religions that are culturally divided all in there circles of influence center around the community by family connections. At least I find this to be true .
There is one other weird connection centered around my own conceit. The Greathouse of Mica with the rules and regulations to bring peace . That is weird when you think of the Sumerians and there thing with there saying Emeuranna which means House of the Great Me's of An, or even in
al qaeda writings Mekigal/s has has the authority of arrangements . They all seem to be saying the same thing . Even Haiti has one that has a similar ring to it . It is the story of there most treasured folk hero Loa . Which are spirits of the earth that direct human activity . Ti Malice is his name and in a famous epic that is told Ti the trickster steals the Great house . I am thinking that TiMalice could be more St. Micheal indoctrination by the french in early colonization. That is speculation , but it sure does resemble Tas Michael Irish interpretations of St, Micheal or even Tiaws Melek of the Kurd in Iraq . I think there was a real guy in ancient history that spurred all of these commonalities and it has survived from a bottle neck time from the past in this bizarre way. Fraggle said it can be checked by data on the internet and that I am lazy for not checking . Shit it is hard for a guy with learning disabilities that can't read real fast . You can't believe what i Have gone through just to get to this point . I really don't think it is my imagination , but never know with the way us humans are delusional

If you take two or more different orientations of anything, from religion, to politics, to even science theory, the problem this can create, for an open minded person, is a loss of their former linear certainty. It is easier to be certain when you take only one side. The less you know the more you think you know.

As an example, how many people can accept the postions of both political parties at the same time? It is not easy going left and right at the same time. You start to appear sort of drunk. The only ways to deal with that paradox, is to figure out a way to average the two, or a way to accept only the best of both at the same time. Although this takes a lot of work and skill, and requires an open mind, it will put you at odds with those who are certain of their one side. If you want or need to belong it is easier to stay one-sided and certain. But if you are self contained, you can use the tension of the polarity to be more creative. But you will need a tough hide.

In the new testament, the spirit of truth was left behind. It is not called the spirit of linear tradition, but rather it was an inner voice or gut feeling that helps guides one to all truth. The spirit of truth implies learning from all, since truth and even partial truth is everywhere.

I was brought up as a Catholic. When I turned 13 I had my Confirmation, which is sort of a ceremony into adulthood. I few weeks later, I talked to my priest and told him I was interested in learning about other religions, including even the occult and easterm mystercism. He told me, it was good to be open minded about all the diversity of faith, and the all the various beliefs in the world. He figured I had my moral compass calibrated by the church and I was old and curious enough to go sailing to new worlds, including atheism.

It would be interesting if an atheist teen asked their atheist priest if it was OK to learn about other orientations? They may not be as forgiven, since certainty is easier when one is linear.

It would be interesting if an atheist teen asked their atheist priest if it was OK to learn about other orientations? They may not be as forgiven, since certainty is easier when one is linear.

That's just about the most absurd thing I've ever seen you say.

That's just about the most absurd thing I've ever seen you say.

then you haven't been hanging in the religious forum long enough.

to the op, sounds like a cop out to me. traditions are stupid, but easier than thinking. :shrug:

:shrug:

I relate to the term agnosis a lot.

I don't know.
Knowing you know nothing for certain and accepting it is...interesting. I have no problems accepting my own spiritual muddle...what I do resent is outside control, or someone insisting that they know beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I can't accept that any authority has anything other than his/her/its' own interest at heart...if I'm lucky that may correspond to my own interests, but that is subject to change without notice.

I can't accept that failure to question that true believers seem to think so important.
I think that's because I...went insane enough as a child to need to do what's called reality-testing...
I was having auditory hallucinations that involved TV theme songs in many cases...so reality testing was: is the TV on?
No?
Wow, I'm hearing things.
Very eerie realization for a 6-year old...but anyway...

To me...true and unquestioned faith looks a lot like a delusion you've built in your head (Yeah, I've done that, too. My member title is accurate.).

So I ...find it frightening. Like...have you checked this? have you reality-tested it? No?

Then how do you know you're not crazy?!?!?!?!

I often feel like my sanity is a somewhat fragile thing...I'm not necessarily fragile...but I could go insane easily enough, given the proper stressors.

I guess most people don't regularly perform sanity checks. I find this odd, now that I think about it.

You mean wellwisher has said even more absurd things in here? Got any examples?

no, i mean what he said about the linear atheists was pretty spot on according to the majority of those who post out here. they're scared to death of us. they think we're all crazy and dangerous.

why does there have to be only one solution?

no, i mean what he said about the linear atheists was pretty spot on according to the majority of those who post out here. they're scared to death of us. they think we're all crazy and dangerous.

I can only assume that you are talking about atheists who you believe suspect deep down that you're right, and are lashing out as some kind of defense mechanism. I can't think of any other reason why you would say that fear had anything to do with it. The truth is that so much fear mongering goes on in religion that I have no doubt that some atheists who don't yet understand the cognitive mechanisms that are responsible for the development of religion in the first place (and are therefore still susceptible to it on some level) may indeed be able to locate some small amount of genuine concern within themselves. But I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that this is necessarily true of even the most combative atheist. Sometimes people are just combative.

I can only assume that you are talking about atheists who you believe suspect deep down that you're right, and are lashing out as some kind of defense mechanism. I can't think of any other reason why you would say that fear had anything to do with it. The truth is that so much fear mongering goes on in religion that I have no doubt that some atheists who don't yet understand the cognitive mechanisms that are responsible for the development of religion in the first place (and are therefore still susceptible to it on some level) may indeed be able to locate some small amount of genuine concern within themselves. But I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that this is necessarily true of even the most combative atheist. Sometimes people are just combative.

i know all atheists out here aren't like that, it's just that the ones who are have big mouths and make more of an impression (a bad one). i suppose i'm a bit jaded by being called crazy and dangerous repeatedly by more than a few on this forum. i'll never forget, years ago, one such atheist actually accused me of intending to harm his children, simply because i believed in god. i was shocked.

Having chosen our tradition and our daily practices we should rely upon them single-pointedly, never allowing dissatisfaction to arise. At the same time as cherishing our own tradition we should respect all other traditions and the right of each individual to follow the tradition of their choosing. This approach leads to harmony and tolerance. It is mixing different religious traditions that causes sectarianism. This is why it is said that studying non-religious subjects is less of an obstacle to our spiritual progress than studying religions of different traditions.

Source

"It is mixing different religious traditions that causes sectarianism."

- How would you explain that?

The quickest way to cause a break in a religious congregation is for someone to introduce a new doctrine that runs counter to an existing one. Some will accept it and others will not, because the doctrines are irreconcilable the congregation splits then a contention will ensue often for centuries as to who is the true (insert congregation identifying name here) and who is false.

Splits within a religion have caused more strife and contention then any contention and strife between religions.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

i know all atheists out here aren't like that, it's just that the ones who are have big mouths and make more of an impression (a bad one). i suppose i'm a bit jaded by being called crazy and dangerous repeatedly by more than a few on this forum. i'll never forget, years ago, one such atheist actually accused me of intending to harm his children, simply because i believed in god. i was shocked.

Nothing shocks me anymore when it comes to outrageous denigrating attacks on those who believe in God.

Matthew 5
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

It is mixing different religious traditions that causes sectarianism.

I don't think that I entirely agree with that.

Mixing religious traditions suggests the sort of eclecticism that's typically the antithesis of sectarianism. When people feel free to mix traditions, they are pretty clearly thinking of all of those traditions as legitimate and postentially useful spiritual approaches. It suggests the idea that truth is wherever we find it and that whatever its provenence, truth can always be useful.

What exacerbates sectarianism is when we highlight and underline the distinctions that separate traditions and when we place what might arguably be too much emphasis on maintaining those boundaries.

Back