How does genotype affect behaviour

aaqucnaona

This sentence is a lie
Valued Senior Member
It is a well researched and substantiated claim that instincts and several behavoiurs are genetically determined. I was watching the BBC Life episode on Hunters and hunted and this little mountain goat calf about 3 days old saw a fox for the first time in its life and ran for it. How did it identify the fox as a danger and how did it decide to run? It was too young to have learned it, and such behaviours are normally instinctive. So I was wondering how the genotype of the calf caused this behaviour?
I guess - Some gene expression change caused some particular wiring of its brain in the embryological phase that hard wired the instinct to fear and run from sizable animals with both eyes facing forward and dark shapes in the sky.

Any research or hard data on genetic determinism of instincts, behaviour and the mechanism by which it works?

It is a well researched and substantiated claim that instincts and several behavoiurs are genetically determined. I was watching the BBC Life episode on Hunters and hunted and this little mountain goat calf about 3 days old saw a fox for the first time in its life and ran for it. How did it identify the fox as a danger and how did it decide to run? It was too young to have learned it, and such behaviours are normally instinctive. So I was wondering how the genotype of the calf caused this behaviour?
I guess - Some gene expression change caused some particular wiring of its brain in the embryological phase that hard wired the instinct to fear and run from sizable animals with both eyes facing forward and dark shapes in the sky.

Any research or hard data on genetic determinism of instincts, behaviour and the mechanism by which it works?

Every thing that is bugger is dangerous, comes from the brain Hypo campus ? it secretes hormone to pituitary gland , from pituitary secretion to adrenal , adrenal secretion to tensing it ends in fight or flight ( so the the goat run )

Back