How do theists explain other religions?

G

Grey Seal

Are the others just "confused" souls damned to hell(or whatever it may be in that religion)?
For the most part (through what I've seen/heard), people of any religion have the idea that theirs is the only "real", and only "right" religion. I especially got this vibe from rondolfo (sp?) in a thread a little while back.

If anyone that has strong beliefs in their "religion", or even if you don't have one, if you may know the reason please tell me. I've always wondered how out of the literally thousands of religions any person in any one of them can, and usually will hold a strong belief that theirs is right and all others are wrong.

Also, how do they explain how and why all of the others are wrong and theirs are right. In RL (real life) ive heard many christians say that, but theyve never explained it. I've also overheard one jewish guy proudly spouting it off in a subway too.

not sure how clear this post was, but i'm really curious about how each religion explains how the thousands of others (excatly like it in the way that they have unique beliefs and many followers), are wrong.

sorry for being redundant

I bet most people don't have good reasons. They just think that their religion is right, and everyone else must just be wrong. Cause, that's what they were taught.

it doesn't make sense. religion does that sometimes.

Often they are explained as different manifestations of the same thing that have been modified to suit the time, place and circumstances of the people that participate in them. Psychologically, this is more satisfying than realising your religion is one in many. To see people mirror your devotion to another religion that you have been told is wrong is unsettling, lest you see too much of yourself.

For the most part (through what I've seen/heard), people of any religion have the idea that theirs is the only "real", and only "right" religion.

Not all of them: Buddhism, Taoism for example. Islam acknowledges Jesus as a prophet, accepts christians as people of the book and suggests that they might not burn in the fiery cauldrons of hell.

Okay, Im going to start my own religion right here, right now. I am going to worship this here Barbie doll. She's going to make me happy, Im going to take her top off and play with her, when Im done I'll throw some monopoly money at her. There's a point to this I promise.

Most "Organizations" (And Im saying org because that's what some of them really are) that are started today are ridiculous. Hello Rael! I like to keep an open mind, but I know stupid when I see it. Im not a Christian, Im close to one, but Im not. Other organizations could be right, or they could be horribly wrong, either way I have chosen to believe in what I think is right. Besides, those other people can rot in hell for all I care, it ain't my business.:)

Talking other people into joining your religion is a little to much like being a lawyer, ya know, trying to convince a jury that your client is not guilty, when he is.

The long form will be required

Um ... that's a longer answer than I'm prepared to deliver right now. Don't worry, though ... it's coming. And if your eyes turn to cheese, it's not because I'm God, but because that's how much time the answer may take.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

As compared to what?

They say "I'm right, you're wrong".
But isn't that a little like indicting black people for breathing?

thanx,

Re: As compared to what?

Originally posted by tiassa
But isn't that a little like indicting black people for breathing?
*shrug* I'm just saying that's what the theistic argument often boils down to.

Retracting my future answer

I've decided to not bother answering the topic in general, as it seems that fantasy answers from theoretic theists are more entertaining.

As to Adam, at risk of reopening old conflicts, don't you find it a little bigoted to hold one group of people responsible for a common human behavior? It's not just theists who behave that way.

And if you all work hard enough, maybe you can turn it into a morality play for spare change on a streetcorner.

thanx,

Tiassa

Yes, most of humanity does it. But does that negate the fact that it is the argument used by theists in this instance?

This is one reason why I like science as a guiding principle. Not as a set of laws that tell us how to behave. But as the principle of "Figure things out based on demonstratable facts and logical deduction". The "My way is better than yours" only works if one can demonstrate its superiority.

When I say "superiority", do I mean "last man standing"? No. A kid who accidentaly crawls into daddy's wardrobe may shoot and kill a far more capable and intelligent adult. Survival has nothing to do with it. Buddhism, in my view, is far superior to christianity, because it advocates ridding the self of fear, hate, anger, et cetera, so that all decisions may be based entirely from the self rather than completely being reactions to external influences. Can this superiority be demonstrated by facts or logical deduction?

Christianity:
- "God's vengeance is big and bad, there's a hell you'll go to if you misbehave, now fall in line or cop some pain".
- Crusade time...
- "If I'm good now, I'll get a nifty afterlife. Yay, rewards or being decent."

Buddhism:
- "Why ask for a reward for being good? Are you that greedy? Look at why you want a reward for being good. Perhaps you can be good without expecting a reward for it."
- No hell, no "behave or you burn" to keep people in line.

Of course, they are only human in both cases, and a while back a Buddhist monk in Thailand raped an Aussie tourist.

They beleive that they are right because that was what they were taught. Ask a Christian this: "If you grew up in India, would you be Christian?"

That will fuck with their mind. I remember being in my 3rd grade Christian Sunday School class... We would color pictures of Jesus, and then the teachers would tell us that Jesus did all of these wonderful things, and they told us that they were facts. Our ample minds did not even question the religious super powers of the Christian classroom. We just accepted it, and our minds WERE PROGRAMMED.

Jews say they are right because they are the most persecuted. So, they have tho be right.

Muslims just get angry because "we dont know anything."

Christians quote the Bible.

Rastafaris... well, they... they... they live life in peace and farm their land in harmony with nature.... hmm. Thats nice, but that doesnt prove that God exists.

Atheists say that science disproves God, but God could have made those tricks to decieve your faith.

I say this: we were given the Earth some way. No matter what form it came through, we only have this planet. Populizing other planets will not be occuring for a while... (we dont have a well functioning space station yet). So, cut the bullshit and clean up the mess that we have made of our Air, Water, Soil, and EVERYTHING that we have touched. We only get one chance to live, why destroy it for others?

Adam

Yes, most of humanity does it. But does that negate the fact that it is the argument used by theists in this instance?
Specifically, the fact that most of humanity does it negates its effectiveness as a summary of theistic thought. Obviously, such a sentiment is not universal among theists or among people.

It's true, though. Black people are wasting air. So are white people. And yellow, and red, and so on.
This is one reason why I like science as a guiding principle. Not as a set of laws that tell us how to behave. But as the principle of "Figure things out based on demonstratable facts and logical deduction". The "My way is better than yours" only works if one can demonstrate its superiority.
Well and fine. But does this negate the influence of objectivity over conduct? One of my constant political punchlines speaks to this "demonstrable fact": you cannot mark the profits of a school in a ledger. Objectively, an investment which does not bring a profit is a bad investment. It's why a billion dollars for sports arenas are considered "good investments" while school districts can't afford qualified teachers.

I agree that science is the better guide, but where you would reject respecting science as a set of behavioral prescriptions, so do I reject "I'm right, you're wrong" as a theistic method. Neither one of us can change the fact that others behave that way. It's like picking on theists because they're human beings. So what?
Can this superiority be demonstrated by facts or logical deduction?
At that level, such superiority can be demonstrated only on acceptance or demonstration of a purpose or meaning to life. Otherwise, it's all relative. I agree that the reduction of the self is a good thing, but in the evolutionary sense, that is, according to the benefit of the species, I cannot objectively conclude that such conduct is beneficial. Or, as I'm prone to say ... Just why is murder wrong?
Christianity:
- "God's vengeance is big and bad, there's a hell you'll go to if you misbehave, now fall in line or cop some pain".
- Crusade time...
- "If I'm good now, I'll get a nifty afterlife. Yay, rewards or being decent."

Buddhism:
- "Why ask for a reward for being good? Are you that greedy? Look at why you want a reward for being good. Perhaps you can be good without expecting a reward for it."
I know you're not a fan of the West/East division, but that is so Western. I'm actually thinking along a sidebar here. Something strikes me odd about my friends who are students of Buddhism, and you've coincidentally nailed it.

Think about it: Christianity presents a practical challenge within its confines, essentially Pascal's Wager.

The Buddhist idea you've pointed to presents a spiritual appeal within its confines, an allusion to the unrecognized--unactualized--idyll.

Strangely, that's exactly the communication problem my Buddhist friends are suffering--consistent reliance on an idyll which exists in diverse forms among humans. But the average American doesn't relate so well to such appeals. Idylls are merely idylls to Americans: pretty to look at and useful when self-righteous, but otherwise not to be trifled with.

Which is what is so sad about Capitalism, the new Great Religion. Americans tend to think of currency as the only capital, though I might make an obscure Steven Brust reference here to the various currencies of the Dragon and Jhereg.

Capitalism is merely a name given to an identification of a natural process restricted into a formal structure. But it works once you break that, and make people understand that monetary currency is not the only viable exchange in such a structure.

Take something vague like "security". I don't mean just national or financial security, but also that security of the psyche, the comfort of the conscience.

Thus:
- "Being good provides its own benefit by removing a negative influence from your environment and also by insinuating a positive pattern in that same environment." (Capitalist translation: Pay for schools, and the neighbor kids run less chance of stealing your TV and raping your cat.)
- "Heaven and Hell are made and achieved, not assigned; they are potential temporal states, not promised afterlives." (Capitalist translation: We make the world as good or bad as we can by our actions, and hold the potential of paradise within our capacities.")

It doesn't threaten punishment, it doesn't seek reward. It doesn't castigate or discourage. Rather it proposes a rational, verifiable condition.

Or, the Mother Love Bone version of the same: Been talkin' to my alter, says, "Life is what you make it, and if you make it death, well, rest your soul."
Of course, they are only human in both cases, and a while back a Buddhist monk in Thailand raped an Aussie tourist
None of it seems to work. I don't know if you heard or not, but it turns out that Catholic priests in the US have been raping little boys by the truckload. (I can't bear to put the winkey-smiley there, for obvious reasons.)

Really ... when the priests don't care about Hell ... or is this one of those "God forgives" kind of things?

:m:,

Originally posted by Slacker47
They beleive that they are right because that was what they were taught. Ask a Christian this: "If you grew up in India, would you be Christian?"

That will fuck with their mind. I remember being in my 3rd grade Christian Sunday School class... We would color pictures of Jesus, and then the teachers would tell us that Jesus did all of these wonderful things, and they told us that they were facts. Our ample minds did not even question the religious super powers of the Christian classroom. We just accepted it, and our minds WERE PROGRAMMED.
Jews say they are right because they are the most persecuted. So, they have tho be right.
Muslims just get angry because "we dont know anything."
Christians quote the Bible.
Rastafaris... well, they... they... they live life in peace and farm their land in harmony with nature.... hmm. Thats nice, but that doesnt prove that God exists.

Why not, becoz about 12% of Indians are Christian. (12% of 900 million!) And India also holds the second largest Muslim population of the world!

And there are accommodative religions too- Hinduism, Buddhsim...

But I wasn't born in India - it's like saying: If there was no God, would you still believe in one... I would have grown up in a society where belief in God is not considered uneducated. His existence would be a given fact for most people, and I would earnestly seek Him - trace His history with my people and His plan for me. And when I found Him - experienced His mercy and love - I would proclaim this to everybody around me. Because I would have been me, and God would have been my God.

The question is, would I have had the chance to witness my beliefs to you guys on this forum?

I am personally less worried about 'being right' than about being wrong. You don't have to be a Christian to believe in God, but no other prophet than Jesus could hold the claim to be God's only son convincingly - or would even dare make that claim. I believe in Jesus as a historical figure and father of my belief, like God is the Father of my existence.

Originally posted by Grey Seal

What kind of a question is that?
A theist, by definition is one who believes in God, it is not a religion as you imply by your question.

For the most part (through what I've seen/heard), people of any religion have the idea that theirs is the only "real", and only "right" religion.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever seen or heard people say otherwise?

I've always wondered how out of the literally thousands of religions any person in any one of them can, and usually will hold a strong belief that theirs is right and all others are wrong.

I think if you follow the teachings and ways, with proper understanding, sincerily, the great spiritual masters, such as Jesus or Muhammad, you are right.

Also, how do they explain how and why all of the others are wrong and theirs are right.

Because they are critisizing the people, the linage, etc.
The people that take the time out to understand what and who God is, do not make such simplistic generalisations.

In RL (real life) ive heard many christians say that, but theyve never explained it.

This usually comes through misunderstanding teachings and instructions, e.g. Christians will quote that Jesus said; "the only way to Christ is through me" (or words to that effect).

the thousands of others (excatly like it in the way that they have unique beliefs and many followers), are wrong.

The best method would be to find out what religion is all about, without a biased mentality. ;)

Love

Jan Ardena.

sorry for being redundant [/B]

Originally posted by Adam
Buddhism:
Well, it's perhaps more indirect, but they believe that the way you live this life will affect others. I don't know much about Buddhism, but it's in your interests to be a good person; it will pay of in the next life.

Originally posted by Jenyar
But I wasn't born in India - it's like saying: If there was no God, would you still believe in one... I would have grown up in a society where belief in God is not considered uneducated.

All I am trying to say is that India isn't the right example, since you can be a free Christian there!
Thanks

Back