How do marathon runners train?

water

the sea
Registered Senior Member
How do marathon runners train?

I've just watched the Olypics -- women's marathon. Amazing.

What do their trainings look like? What exercises do they make? How often do they run the 42 k before the big competition?

I’ve read two books on marathon training. Basically the training just involves running a lot. Both of the books recommended running the entire 42k distance at least once (preferably twice) before the actual marathon.

Of course both those books were for beginners who wanted to work up to being able to run a marathon decently. I guess the training for an Olympic marathoner might be very different.

I know one of the big runners runs 26 miles twice a day to prepare for the big marathon in New York every year.

Amazing that she didn't end up winning.

Yes, training can involve running AT LEAST that distance! However the last time a long distance should be ran is about 3-4 days before the event. This allows the body to adjust to the training and build up reserves for the race.

Geez, training that way would most unlikely suit beginners at all...... running the lap distance for practice? Duh....

stamina traning is repetision, begenners can start with a shorter distance and buiildup from there.

Rosa what did you think of the japaness womans facial expressions?

42 clicks to run, run 1 down, take it away
41 clicks to go
5 more clicks to go, take 1 down run it around
4 more clicks to go

Eather that or she was solving the riddle to cold fusion. :)

Kunax said:
Rosa what did you think of the japaness womans facial expressions?

She is sooooo cool! Mega. Always the same expression on her face. Only later, somewhere around 36k, when Radcliffe gave up, if I remember exactly, she took off her sunglasses.

Anyway, the second, the Black Gazella was cool too -- that gait, that run. Wow. She ran most beautifully.

42 clicks to run, run 1 down, take it away
41 clicks to go
5 more clicks to go, take 1 down run it around
4 more clicks to go

Eather that or she was solving the riddle to cold fusion. :)

Heh. The commentator said that the Japanese were preparing themselves very scientifically for that competition.

Back