How come...

Kunax

Sciforums:Reality not required
Registered Senior Member
When im sitting down and lift my foot of the floor so that it's only resting on the toes, my leg/foot starts to kind of "jump up and down". It does not hurt or anything and i know may can do the same, but why does it start to flex?.

(To the annoyance of those around me, i often do sit like that since it's automatic and i dont notices it myself... well most of the time its automatic :))

oh yea my idea. I think it has something todo with reaching a point is where the foot is hovering between being relaxed and forced to stand.

:confused: Maybe you've got problems with your sciatic nerve. It goes from the lower spine down each leg.

I used to do that but finally broke myself of the habit. It is actually a trait of my family I later learned. I grew up with my mom's side of the family and only later got to know my dad's side. Turns out that when a group of them get together around the breakfast table they can get the whole table shaking because of it.

I have no idea what causes it. But, it is probably a form of overcompensation between tense and relaxed. Like you said.

I recall an 'experiment' on Mr. Wizard where he had a kid hold out a serrated knife with a piece of bent wire hanging over it and told him to keep it still. It started swaying a little bit. Then more. Then more. If I recall right, the wire 'walked' down the knife and fell off. It showed how inadequate our nervous systems are for certain tasks. They don't find a balance. They overcompensate and start a wild back and forth motion that can cycle up further and further if one isn't careful.

shake the table :), btw the thread starter posted this in the wrong forum

Back