How come a cold passes?

greenberg

until the end of the world
Registered Senior Member
I've heard many times that a cold cannot be cured.

But how can it pass then? - Because the symptoms (runny nose, fever, headache, tiredness, ...) do pass eventually.

So how does a cold end, how come the symptoms cease?

A cold will be cured when we can make drugs to fight it faster then it can evolve. The immune system adapts rapidly by making many antibodies and selecting the ones that can bind to the virus markers and then mass producing those ones (simplistic description).

When we find the frequencies at which the virus are at then using that frequency to destroy them by using a frequency generator along with a amplification device to kill the virus. By using the same technique today that we use for dialysis treatment we can put the blood through the machine and bombard it with the frequency that kills the virus then put the blood back into the body cleaned of virus.

A cold virus attaches to the cells in the nasal passages after passing into the adenoid area of the nose.

docking2.gif

It attaches to the ICAM receptor on the cells and hijacks the host cell machinery to reproduce itself, causing an infection

infect1.gif

Symptoms usually begin 2-3 days after infection. Sore or scratchy throat is followed by sneezing, runny nose and nasal congestion.

The immune system reacts against the virus and symptoms diminish as the virus is destroyed. The person then develops a limited immunity, ie once a person has caught cold from one strain of the virus, he or she will be immune to that strain. There are plenty of strains however, so the person can still get a cold from a different strain.

One interesting point of note is that antibactricidal soaps have no effect on the cold virus, it is the act of manually scrubbing the hands that reduces the probability of getting the viral infection. Of course you have to scrub long enough to sing the happy birthday song, which few people do.

Interestingly, none of the 5 responding posters answered the title question... I would be interested to know though...

Edit:SAM did, thanks...

Last edited:
One interesting point of note is that antibactricidal soaps have no effect on the cold virus, it is the act of manually scrubbing the hands that reduces the probability of getting the viral infection. Of course you have to scrub long enough to sing the happy birthday song, which few people do.

I should think that is evident. Antibiotics do not kill virusses, only bacteria..

The antibodies bind to the virus so it cannot bind to the receptor and hence cannot enter the cells, is that what you wanted to know?

Now if a drug was made the could target a component of the virus needed for infection (a component with a low rate of mutation) then you might have a cure, as it forces the virus to evolve into a form that is less infectious.

Now if a drug was made the could target a component of the virus needed for infection (a component with a low rate of mutation) then you might have a cure, as it forces the virus to evolve into a form that is less infectious.

Since infection with a strain confers immunity that is not an issue. The problem is there are more than 100 serotypes of just the rhinovirus (which is the type that binds the ICAM receptor). There are other approaches.

Prevention of virus-cell interaction has been the aim of research on viral capsid binders and cell receptor blockers. Interference with correct viral protein processing is the goal of the design and testing of protease inhibitors. Current work is attempting to interfere with viral RNA replication by testing silencing RNA molecules.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't see how that is another approach form what I just said. All of the types of rhinovirus have in common proteins and genetic sequence vital to their replication and don't mutated like there capsid layer does.

SAM are you sure achole doesnt kill the cold virus?

I know that antibacterials wont but achole is surposed to kill EVERYTHING

Syzygys how far into the imune system would you like to go?
When people say you cant "cure" a cold they are talking about medical intervention (ie antibotics) dont work on a cold

Have no idea if anti virals do (i just dont know how they work) but tammi flu isnt perscribed for a cold

However the imune system CAN kill a cold virus eventually but as sam said it takes a few days to get it up

Sam do macrpharges\mircopharges eat virus's or only bacteria and dead celular material?

I don't see how that is another approach form what I just said. All of the types of rhinovirus have in common proteins and genetic sequence vital to their replication and don't mutated like there capsid layer does.

Does 100 strains provide a clue?;)

sorry "alcohol" had ALMOST all the right letters:p

so there is more to the immune responce than just the antibodies. Sorry i havent studied imunology (only human bioscience)

I BASICALLY understand the inflamitory responce (although i still dont understand how its helpful, seems to do more damage than good although heprin is good for heart conditions)

Back