Hormones in food = hormones in blood?

smoking revolver
Valued Senior Member
Hi,
since almost everyone in my previous thread is raving why all Americans are not fat and not paying any attention to the main question, I decided to make a seperate thread for it here.

So here it goes: Can growth hormones in food make a human consuming them fat or in any other way fuck up the metabolism?

Growth hormones in cows, pigs, oxen, corn, wheat, genetically altered food.

Hi,
since almost everyone in my previous thread is raving why all Americans are not fat and not paying any attention to the main question, I decided to make a seperate thread for it here.

So here it goes: Can growth hormones in food make a human consuming them fat or in any other way fuck up the metabolism?

I believe there are at least two flaws in that possible thought. One is that growth hormones are fairly specific for a particular organism (HGH aren't closely related to vegetable GH nor are those used on certain animals). The second is that HGH seem to primarily affect the growth of bone, muscle and connective tissue rather than having much direct effect on fat cells.

To the best of my knowledge, no correlation at all has ever been shown between GM foods and human weight gain.

Seriously - if you (or anyone) know of any evidence to the contrary, I'd be happy to read it and would readily change my position.

No, I don't know of any evidence, just asking a question, curious from a biological point of view. :)
I have no agenda in this.

No, I don't know of any evidence, just asking a question, curious from a biological point of view. :)
I have no agenda in this.

No problem - I understand.:) As I stated in my first response, I believe you'll find the chemical structure and effects of the various horomones are not active across species lines. And certaintly not between plants and animals - they are almost as different as water and oil.;)

Truthfully, there is NO reason to even look beyond the very obvious - which is high caloric intake and reduced physical activity. Absolutely NO mystery there! And the same identical problem is occuring in practically EVERY developed nation - even where GM foods and most GHs are banned or extremely limited in use.

And the same identical problem is occuring in practically EVERY developed nation - even where GM foods and most GHs are banned or extremely limited in use.
Good point.

Isn't the biggest flaw that hormones are rapidly inactivated and destroyed by chemicals in the digestive tract? Isn't that why you need to inject insulin directly?

Hi,

I thought I answered it sufficiently in your last thread
http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1589581&postcount=10

Basically what Read-Only said here : o

Isn't the biggest flaw that hormones are rapidly inactivated and destroyed by chemicals in the digestive tract? Isn't that why you need to inject insulin directly?

Yeah. So if there is a problem with these hormones it won't be as a hormone (not that it would function as one with humans, as Read-Only said), but with whatever the product was. I'm not aware of any such post-digestion problems. I'm pretty confident there are none.

I'd be more interested in whether the injection of synthetic hormones produced any artifacts in the meat.

Dictionary.com: Artifact 6. any feature that is not naturally present but is a product of an extrinsic agent, method, or the like: statistical artifacts that make the inflation rate seem greater than it is.

As to the actual question, I just read that it makes IGF-1 in the cow, but as mountainhare said, that shouldn't effect us because of digestion, even though it is the same as our IGF-1.

I would not make blanket statements. Phytoestrogens for example appear to confer protective effects, prions causing BSE are absorbed intact...

Dictionary.com: Artifact 6. any feature that is not naturally present but is a product of an extrinsic agent, method, or the like: statistical artifacts that make the inflation rate seem greater than it is.

As to the actual question, I just read that it makes IGF-1 in the cow, but as mountainhare said, that shouldn't effect us because of digestion, even though it is the same as our IGF-1.

Yep - have to admit I was using it in a very narrow form. ;)

Can growth hormones in food make a human consuming them fat or in any other way fuck up the metabolism?

I don't think the hormones themselves would work in our bodies like it works on animals and plants. However, that is not to say that they wouldn't be damaging in some other way.

Make you fat? Obviously not. That's not the issue. The issue is that artificially created substances may cause cancer. There are no long-term studies on the subject (or rather, if there is one, there hasn't been enough time to make it a "long term" study).

Back