Hell On Earth Plans Suicide

A

and2000x

Florida shock-rockers HELL ON EARTH have vowed to go ahead with their plans to stage a live suicide during a concert in the city of St. Petersburg next month.
Despite the fact that the city officials, in cooperation with the Florida Governors Office, have "strong-armed" venues into canceling their previously announced performance at State Theater on October 4, bandleader Billy Tourtelot has announced that the show will indeed take place at an undisclosed location within St. Petersburg city limits. The concert, which will include a live suicide by a terminally ill Euthanasia Society member, will be broadcast live over the Internet on www.hellonearth.net.

Commented the singer, "This show is far more than a typical HELL ON EARTH performance — this is about standing up for what you believe in and I am a strong supporter of physician-assisted suicide. This performance will go on in its entirety and it will [take place] in St. Petersburg on October 4th."

The Tampa group said last week on their web site that a terminally ill member of a right-to-die group planned to commit suicide on stage in a political statement about euthanasia. St. Petersburg police, unable to do anything before the performance, had planned to have officers in the audience if a suicide was attempted.

Past band performances have included sodomizing skinned calves and blending dead rats then having fans drink the concoction.

The man that wants to commit suicide on stage said he wants to do this because he wants to "die with some dignity." Right. Uh huh. On stage at a Hell On Earth concert. Gotcha. Very dignified death indeed. Just sit down in your favorite recliner, put the barrel of the 12. gauge in your mouth, pull the trigger, and spare everyone the freak show. The band can do that well enough.

I wonder if this guy knows that the band is planning to sodomize his corpse as soon as he dies and parade around the stage wearing his skin as their own.
Dignified indeed.

Publicity Stunt.

The band probably sucks and so they are trying to get national recognition, which they have, by claiming an erroneous stunt.

Share the love!

The man that wants to commit suicide on stage said he wants to do this because he wants to "die with some dignity." Right. Uh huh. On stage at a Hell On Earth concert. Gotcha. Very dignified death indeed
I think you're missing the point.

I agree with some of the people who kill themselves that the only way society is going to let them opt out with dignity is if we start having a bunch of corpses in the streets. For instance:
Just sit down in your favorite recliner, put the barrel of the 12. gauge in your mouth, pull the trigger, and spare everyone the freak show.
Problem with that is when a five year-old finds your corpse.

It happens.

People have the right to self-determination, and if society attempts to violate that self-determination and make the quiet dignity of the situation impossible, then why not share the spatter?

The point being that terminally ill patients shouldn't have to leave a note, stick a shotgun in their mouth, and hope it isn't their grandchildren that find their rotting, destroyed corpses.

So this patient can't die with the quiet dignity deemed appropriate by those who support the right of an individual to make their own decisions in life and death. So he will go out with the public dignity of making a very important point. All echoes will be silent, all eyes will turn to the horror. The worst thing that can happen, and most likely will, is that nobody will care. In this case, the knee-jerk haters are the ones to rely on, who will be so offended at this mode of expression that they will demand ... what, further penalties for suicide? At any rate, it's about time for the public to take a look at this one again.

A right to life? Horsesh@t. The "right to assign life", well, that's kind of what pro-lifers argue for in abortion. But the right to die? Come on ... I didn't volunteer for this assignment. The law should allow me to walk away without penalizing my family.

The point being that terminally ill patients shouldn't have to leave a note, stick a shotgun in their mouth, and hope it isn't their grandchildren that find their rotting, destroyed corpses.

Why worry about them finding the corpse when they can watch the whole deal live on the net? Perhaps being family they might wangle themselves on the guest list. I suppose they could always pay for the tickets and get a front row seat.

I'm in agreement with your position Tiassa but I think you may be going out on a limb in this particular instance.

Personal thoughts..
Where are they going to find a doc who'd be willing to do this?
The ethical concerns re entertainment value
The practicalities of drug storage, administration and subsequent patient monitoring in a none clinical enviroment.
How do you ensure that your patients needs remain paramount when he's still ticking over in sinus brady after 30 minutes post dose and the audience are getting restless for something interesting to happen.
Anybody here ever obseved a drug induced death?
Trust me they can take a while and are not very exciting.
God forbid they try any other method.:(

This is a bad idea. It will give the euthanasia debate the same credibilty problems the pro lifers encountered when they started shooting doctors.
Dee Cee

Hell On Earth Hit By Hack Attack

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Oct. 5, 2003

An Internet broadcast of a concert that was to feature a suicide of a terminally ill person did not happen because the Web site was attacked. The band's leader said the concert still went on, but he didn't know whether the suicide did.

Billy Tourtelot, the bandleader of Hell on Earth, said his group performed at an undisclosed St. Petersburg location Saturday night as scheduled and that he was unaware of the Internet problems until after the show.

Tourtelot said the suicide was scheduled to take place at a separate location, which he also refused to reveal. It was not shown on the band's Web site as planned, but that did not necessarily mean it didn't happen, Tourtelot said.

"I don't know if that was done tonight," Tourtelot told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Hell on Earth's Web site was attacked Saturday evening by a flood of data from computers somewhere in Hong Kong, said Jason Trindade, the operator of a San Diego-based technology company that hosts the site.

"There's been a huge amount of traffic which causes the server to lock up," Trindade said.

Trindade said Tourtelot told him the performance would be postponed, possibly until next weekend. But Tourtelot said the show - at least the musical portion - went on as scheduled and that no other performances were planned.

City and state officials have warned that they will pursue criminal charges if the band went through with the suicide plan, and a judge has issued an order banning the event.

Tourtelot had said Saturday morning the concert and suicide would take place that night in two separate, undisclosed locations in St. Petersburg. He wouldn't give any more details on the venues.

Tourtelot's announcement last month that he would host the suicide of a terminally ill fan led the city to ban the event with an ordinance and prompted the court injunction.

The band asked fans to visit its Web page for the performance, but no video was shown. Instead, a link to another site appeared, as did the following message: "Next week the show will go on."

Trindade said the site was victimized by a denial-of-service attack, which is designed to hamper or shut down a computer system by flooding it with huge amounts of data. He did not immediately know how the site would address the problem.

Emergency dispatchers in St. Petersburg and Pinellas County reported they had no calls reporting a suicide nearly four hours after the event was to have taken place. In St. Petersburg, officials were on alert for calls of a suicide or suspicious death.

Florida Attorney General Charlie Crist has said that anyone who assists in a suicide could be charged with a felony and face up to 15 years in prison.

The person who has been threatening suicide has said he is dying and wants to promote his right-to-die views. Tourtelot, 33, said he was standing up for what he believed in to grant his friend his dying wish.

"There's nothing bad about that. It's giving the right to die with human dignity and compassion for those that we love," he said.

Back