Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

Mazulu

Banned
Banned
In the context of evolution, why does scorn exist? The goal of evolution is to make lots of babies. So why do emotions like jealousy exist?

survival of the fittest?? If I kill you in a jealous rage, I can have your man and his babies

In the context of evolution, why does scorn exist? The goal of evolution is to make lots of babies. So why do emotions like jealousy exist?

Lots of baby will wear you down in case of a female , Would not that tell that health restrict evolution ?
But for male it is ok. to have many baby and have many female .

Lots of baby will wear you down in case of a female , Would not that tell that health restrict evolution ?
But for male it is ok. to have many baby and have many female .
I'm not sure that's a compelling argument. I have doubts that everything about human nature can be attributed to breed before you die.

We evolved such emotions because we are social primates and our reputation with others matters. Most mammals chose their mates carefully, it is in the women's interest especially because she has to invest the most time in pregnancy and child rearing. A loyal mate would decrease that burden. A disloyal mate could very well mean the death of the child, and all that energy wasted. Of course this all plays out on the level of the genes, but this is the result.

We evolved such emotions because we are social primates and our reputation with others matters. Most mammals chose their mates carefully, it is in the women's interest especially because she has to invest the most time in pregnancy and child rearing. A loyal mate would decrease that burden. A disloyal mate could very well mean the death of the child, and all that energy wasted. Of course this all plays out on the level of the genes, but this is the result.

That's a good explanation, very reasonable.

Hopefully no women where offended by the title of this thread. It is actually strange that I haven't seen any admit to being offended by it yet. It is ironic that they now have us talking about them in terms of evolution like they used to talk about us to explain our ways...

Hopefully no women where offended by the title of this thread. It is actually strange that I haven't seen any admit to being offended by it yet. It is ironic that they now have us talking about them in terms of evolution like they used to talk about us to explain our ways...
Men are the same way. They will get very jealous if another man makes advances. It's the same way with gays and lesbians. It is universal to get jealous if someone makes sexual advances towards someone else's mate. I really don't think that jealousy is supportive of evolution at all.

I think it has more to do with the development of a sense of personal identity.

I wasn't even refering to jealousy, so maybe that would be a whole different discussion altogether. But look at it another way, if you didn't get jealous they may just take your women and then they don't have anything to do with you. Then they have babies without you, because oh he was the jealous type. I think instances of extreme jealousy can have the opposite effect. She may get fed up with all your crap and rebel against you in cases of unjustified jealousy. In this case she could make a point to go cheat on you, keeping the jealousy levels in check keeping them from going overboard.

Last edited:
I was watching a 1935 movie called "She" when I thought of the phrase: hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Jealousy is one way to scorn a women; there are other ways. I just wanted to show a counter example to evolution; just to see where it would lead. In this case, I think it led to the development of self and individuality. Why would that have developed out of evolution?

The world may never really know Mazulu. I have never really been a big supporter of evolution, but I think it is clear that we do take after our parents. (at least most of the time) I think the obvious answer would be that all life on Earth has been a self or individual. But then wouldn't most animals then be self aware? I think it would be too hard to tell, we would have to find some way to break the communication barrier.

I think it would more likely lead to self restraint. You have to have some degree of jealousy but then too much could have the opposite of the "desired" result. So then there is some paradox where we must have it and then not have it sometime later. But then too much of an ability of restraint of it could lead to not showing any of the signs of jealousy altogether. So then this would even be the wrong "move", then a variable amount of restraint would be necassary, so on etc. Life has so many twist and turns that evolution alone may never allow the sex's to truly understand each other, ideas about each other can always change and affect what would be an appropriate decision on a conscious level.

Back