hedgehogs

alexb123

The Amish web page is fast!
Valued Senior Member
Here in the UK it is getting cold as winter approaches. I have been feeding hedgehogs with cat food. I noticed yesterday that one of the hedgehog is still young.

Surely, he should be fully grown and carry a full supply of winter fat to so that he can hibinate?

Is he in danger of dieing this winter?

Hedgehogs can start hibernating any time from September to January. Though the very cold weather is a factor in when they hibernate, it can also be down to their size in that if a hedgehog is big enough and has enough winter fat, it is "ready". A small hedgehog will continue feeding as long as possible and growing and building itself up to survive a possible long hibernation.

Generally, some animals will wake up and go scavenging on warmer winter days if they are short of body fat. I think any warmer days, hibernating animals could come out of their torpor in case the trend continues but go back into hibernation again if it gets cold again. You can always leave some nuts or whatever near where they hibernate.

pjdude. What have you got against hedgehogs? There'd be lots more annoying insects about if not for them.

Ya know, I've noticed a lot more babies around here too. fawns with spots still on them. Has it been so unseasonably warm that animals are have a second pregnancy? How will those babies survive the winter?

pjdude. What have you got against hedgehogs? There'd be lots more annoying insects about if not for them.

the phrase the shit is positive it means you think something is good

i would like to add that i am not nor have i ever been anti hedgehog

Last edited:
I took in a damaged hedgehog one time, that had been burned from wood used for a fire. I nursed it for a week and a half, and it was better :)

But why would there be a young hedgehog now?? Late birth or a second offspring this season?

300px-HEDGEHOG_CRISPS.jpg

made in Britain in the '80s. Anyone here ever have any?

Back